Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on autoloading 22 rf
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted
What are the thots on a 22 for the wife and I to plink/practice/shoot squirrels with.
Thanks in advance.
Glen.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are your price parameters?

If you can get one with a decent trigger, a Ruger is a good choice, and with the older models (not drilled and tapped) you can get a no drill mount.

If you want the top of the line area, consider a Smith 41.

Older High Standards can be had in the middle and are fine pistols, usually having a very good trigger without work.

Volquartsen's cost in the 41 area and are deadly accurate and way cool if you like the look.

Sig/Hamerli Trailsides are good pistols too and usually quite accurate and can be had in the $500-600 area used, but are no longer made. at least in the cheaper versions.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but that should give you a start.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, thank you. Is the SIG Mosquito any good ? I was also wondering about the Ruger 22/45 ? I really don't know much about them.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy my Ruger SR22. Sold off my Ruger .22 Revolver, Walther P22's have an issue with cutting into the slide (wealth of info on this on Rimfirecentral.com). Didn't like how the Mark III Ruger's are taken apart and put back together.

Usually the semi auto .22's are picky on ammo. On Friday I tried 3 different brands of ammo and found no issues. Although I usually shoot Mini-Mags

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
We have good experience with Ruger Charger. Don't know if it will fit your wife's expectations.

Jiri

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Charger is bigger than what I'm thinking about . the SR 22 is kinda right along the lines of what I was thinking about originally. Kinda sorta similar to a edcg.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was also wondering about the Ruger 22/45 ? I really don't know much about them.

Simply a MK model with different grip angle. Again, good pistol but check or plan on working on trigger.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With no disrespect for anyone, the Ruger SR22 pistols just don't hit my required accuracy requirements based om many net reviews, not even close.

Both the Sig and Walther would be better IMO.

I have no experience with one but you might consider a Browning Buckmark.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also. and I am not sure of your budget or how well your wife's hands might handle a full sized pistol, but you might consider a Sig or a Glock in 9mm, 10mm, or .45 and a .22 conversion kit. That has many advantages with multiple uses for practice and possibly self defense. I would think the Sig would be more accurate and has a trigger that can be improved fairly easily. Just another idea.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
With no disrespect for anyone, the Ruger SR22 pistol just don't hit my required accuracY requirements based om many net reviews, not even close.

Both the Sig and Walther would be better IMO.

I have no experience with one but you might consider a Browning Buckmark.

Years ago I got her a Walther P22 . She hated it. It jammed a lot. I always figured it was because she was limp wristing it . But when I tried it it jammed some on me. I've read that the P22 is finicky with what ammo it likes. That was our last adventure with autoloading 22s. She handles her XD9 subcompact well but I don't know if there is a 22 conversion for it. Of for a full size XD9 .

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.advantagearms.com/m...gory_Code=XDFitTable

I have zero experience with these.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger Mark III 4" barrel that is a heck of a grouse getter. never had a issue of any kind. The newer models are a lot easier to disassemble and reassemble . Mark 4 I think they are.

Posts: 54 | Location: PNW | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite most accurate 22 handguns are a early S&W 41, a target version of the High Std semi auto (model escapes me right now), early S&W pre model 17. All 3 will shoot better than I can

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GatoGordo; Thanks for the link. Looks like a good reason to buy another XD 9 . The Sub Compact won't work with that conversion.
Better for what I have in mind. A quiet inexpensive to feed plinker/trainer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you would be well served by a standard Ruger, the older models can be had pretty cheap and usually function flawlessly with good magazines.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned a Ruger standard, MK II, MIII and now a MK IV. Also owned a Browning Buckmark Camper and still have a hunter model. Lastly, I also own a S&W 617.

The easiest for cleaning is the Ruger MK IV and a trigger replacement is helpful. The Browning Buckmark is a turnkey pistol with no mods needed and disassembly for cleaning is a little more complicated but not too difficult.

The S&W 617 is a fun pistol to shoot and is more of a chore to clean than the semiautos.

All the above are reliable pistols for general plinking and small game hunting.

Posts: 446 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also owned a Browning Buckmark Camper and still have a hunter model..

I have a buck mark the only complaint I have is the screws holing the top and sight on are forever coming loose.

I have to tighten them every couple hundred rounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK. I know a guy that has a Browning Buck Mark. I don't recall him complaining about anything on it . And he complains about everything . I don't know how much he shoots it . Maybe 500 rounds a year. I'm suprised there haven't been more RECs for a Ruger Single Six. Course I did ask about autoloader s . But, this is AR fishing

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
My old Ruger Mk II must have 50,000 + rounds through it. It just keeps going...and going...and going...

I also have a S&W 22A. That was a mistake. Jams quite frequently with almost any ammo.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:

Years ago I got her a Walther P22 . She hated it. It jammed a lot. I always figured it was because she was limp wristing it . But when I tried it it jammed some on me.

This was one of the reasons why I went with the SR22 instead of the Walther. I've been able to shoot 4 different types of ammunition through the Ruger with no jamming issues.

Here is the link to the modifications to help save the Walther if you decided on another. Too much work for a cheap gun IMO. The slides being cut was a deal breaker...and they usually only shoot well with Mini Mags. I even passed on a 5" nickel target model for less than 2 bills
Walther P22 Mods

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My old Ruger Mk II must have 50,000 + rounds through it. It just keeps going...and going...and going...

My Dad brought a Ruger MKI in early 70s I used it for decades my son has it now.

I sure in has well in excess of 50 thousand rounds also and it is still going strong.

Lets say 45 years old at a very low estimated rate of 2000 rounds a year would be 90,000 most likely a lot more.

And people wonder why I am known as a good pistol shot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:

Years ago I got her a Walther P22 . She hated it. It jammed a lot. I always figured it was because she was limp wristing it . But when I tried it it jammed some on me.

This was one of the reasons why I went with the SR22 instead of the Walther. I've been able to shoot 4 different types of ammunition through the Ruger with no jamming issues.

Here is the link to the modifications to help save the Walther if you decided on another. Too much work for a cheap gun IMO. The slides being cut was a deal breaker...and they usually only shoot well with Mini Mags. I even passed on a 5" nickel target model for less than 2 bills
Walther P22 Mods

Wow; Thanks !! That for sure rules out the Walther !!!
I'll have to tell her about this .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

My Dad brought a Ruger MKI in early 70s I used it for decades my son has it now.

I sure in has well in excess of 50 thousand rounds also and it is still going strong.

Lets say 45 years old at a very low estimated rate of 2000 rounds a year would be 90,000 most likely a lot more.

And people wonder why I am known as a good pistol shot

Yup. That would do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the the Walther PP in 22 RF. Accurate and compact. A nice trail gun if you add adjustable sight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a buck mark the only complaint I have is the screws holing the top and sight on are forever coming loose.

I have to tighten them every couple hundred rounds.[/QUOTE]

I use blue locktite on my screws

Posts: 446 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't beat a Browning Buckmark

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Browning Buckmark Micro Bull. Aside from occasionally stovepiping during break in with cheap ammo (it hasn't done it in a long time), I'm completely satisfied with it.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sep:

I have to tighten them every couple hundred rounds.

I use blue locktite on my screws[/QUOTE]

Sep; if the screws are holding things on that you don't plan on removing . Try 271 , Red LocTite. That stuff it TOUGH . Its what I use to keep the jug bolts tight on my hot rodded 460 Stihl. It really works good !

One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
With the new pushbutton takedown, any of the new Ruger autoloaders seem perfect to me. Accurate and reliable at a reasonable cost. I'd go with the 22/45 myself. I have MKII and MKIII models that I love. Heavier barrel holds steady and won't be too heavy for the missus. Aftermarket parts galore if you like to tinker. The volume of aftermarket support says much about a guns popularity and use.

I have a 6.5" Single Six and my three sons each have the 5.5" version. I prefer these over autoloaders. Get the convertible. .22 LR for squirrels, rabbits, plinking and .22mag. to pop a coyote or for personal protection (albeit bare minimum). Also very safe by design if less experienced shooters may use it.

Free advice, worth the price!!!

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, Thats good advice. I got a Single Six Convertible when I first got to Kodiak. It was the 5 1/2" . Had it for quite a while . Never had an autoloading Ruger yet tho.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:

I also have a S&W 22A. That was a mistake. Jams quite frequently with almost any ammo.

I've had my Mark II for 33 years, 5.5" bull berrel target model. Great gun for the money.

I also have a Ruger single-six convertible. It's a nice choice too.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a MKII six and seven eighths target model I think I bought it mid 1980's. Several tens of thousands of rounds through it and the only thing ever wrong was I replaced the extractor this year. There was no hook left on it. I also shot a Buckmark for a few years and loved it also. One of my sons has that one, its a good pistol. If I were to buy a new one it would be a Ruger 22-45 with a four inch heavy barrel. The only reason I would go to the 22-45 would be to match the grip angle on my 1911.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have one of these and really like it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36618 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While somewhere around here I have an old High Standard, My Dedicated target gun is my Ruger Mk-II 5-1/2 Bull Barrel.

After much experience with it I wouldn't even consider another 22LR semi-Auto...

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being a curmudgeon, and not particularly fond of the 20th century I have two 22s that I really like...A colt 4" auto with the square heavy barrel from yesteryear and Ive forgot the model number...The S&W mod. 34, this cute little gem of a revolver has fed my camp more table fair than Pres. trump has seen at his largest ball room lunch!! Grouse, especially the dumb ones that don't fly off, quail, cotton tails, and more than its share of Javalinas, not to mention a bunch of coyotes, bobcats, skunks and badgers and maybe 50 or more Mt. Lions in a tree or in a trap..I will never part with these two guns and owned them longer than I can remember.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another option is to find a discontinued S&W 422 or 622. They use the same magazines as a 41 and are lightweight and fairly accurate. As a bonus, the barrel design involves a threaded sleeve that makes suppressor use possible with a $27 adapter:

http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/in...t_info&products_id=8

I had one of these guns sitting in my safe (a purchase from decades ago) and brought it out recently when I learned about the adapter option. It's a nice little rimfire handgun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used a High Standard Supermatic Tournament Mod. 106 Military. It has adjustable sights, long bull barrel, nice trigger,super accurate, does not jam and has a 1911 style grip.

It is not for sale.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Robert Saum
posted Hide Post
My first post on this forum, but been doing this for over 45 of my 63 years and love em all.

I've had about all the quality 22 autos, you know the one's made with steel, like real guns use. I like the Ruger MKII the best.

I've had em all from cutom standard to Government, I can't count how many, but I have never been without a MKII 5.5" bull barrel in my cave. It is hands down my favorite, even over the Smith and Brownings, the MKII just does it for me.

Yes the trigger needs adressed, but with Volquartsen trigger available,, you can have the ultimate trigger on what I consider the Ultimate 22 auto. for me anyways.

From my cold dead hands, but that will be tougher than it sounds!

Posts: 1 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: 28 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Rugers of various versions. Very happy for the intended purpose. I like the FN 150s and Medallists more though. They would be my choice if I could have only one 22 auto. The Ruger is a bit of a 1911 type of experience with regard to being able to find spares and upgrades etc.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote