THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Trijicon RMR Reflex Red Dot Sight 4 MOA or 8MOA ?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trijicon RMR Reflex Red Dot Sight 4 MOA or 8MOA ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Yesterday, I picked up a FA Field Grade, 4-3/4" Magna-Ported 475 Linebaugh with express sights and black micarta grips. It supposedly has had 6 shots fired thorough it, more likely 5, anyways like new. I have pretty much acknowledged, begrudgingly, that the days of iron sights are over for me, be it rifle or revolver. I have ordered 2 ea Trijicon RMR sight bases from FA, one for this 475 and the other for my 454. Now, it is time for the RMR. I am ordering the LED 4 MOA red dot. Not sure if the 4 MOA was/is the best way to go or the 8 MOA. Does anyone have any experience with this sight and dot sizes?

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will depend on how far you will be shooting and what you are planning on doing with it.
Basically if you plan on doing a lot of target shooting then definitely get the 4MOA.
I have the Trijicon 8MOA sight on my F/A, I was thinking the bigger dot would work better for hunting and it does work good for this purpose, but honestly if I was to do it again I would get the 4MOA dot. The 4MOA is plenty big enough to see and would have the advantage of placing a more accurate shot at distance.
You will like the Trijicon sight.

David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
David,
Thanks for the reply. Just placed the order for the 4 MOA. Should arrive within a week and I am anxious to try it out! What caliber to you have yours on ?

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer the 4 MOA.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My F/A is a 6" 555 or 50AE. It is one of the early guns when F/A used to name their guns like 454, 353, 252 and 555 before they simply went with the Model 83.
The 50AE is a pretty good cartridge as long as you are not planning on using a bullet heavier than 350 grains, which works for me as I use mine for whitetails and hogs, neither requireing anything heavier.
I have used Leupolds 2x scope and a Leu/Gilmore red dot on my F/A and find the Trijicon for me to be the best compromise, not to mention it balances just like the factory irons.

David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
David, I have a 454 with a 5.5" barrel, I think I purchased it in '91. It has pretty much been my constant outdoor carry revolver. If this RMR on the 475 works out, it too will be getting one. Now the quest is for a shoulder holster to accommadate the RMR. I received an El Passo Saddlery Tanker model shoulder holster with the 475. I really like this holster, but it will not work with the RMR and they do not make/will not modify to fit. So the search is on.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I too am sorry to say but my 52 yr old yes just don't work well with irons anymore. I went to the Trijicon RedDot in a 4 MOA and love it. Before I went to Alaska two years back I had Mernickle make one of their Field Carry holsters.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/fc/fc2.html

I had them cut the front of the holster, just over the top strap, just a little low so the Reddot clears leather.

I like to carry it cross draw style.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice rig you have there, Alan.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSSP: Nice set-up, Revolver and Leather.
My RMR 4MOA and the FA mount arrived today. I am amazed at the small size!! I hope to mount it on the 475 tonight and hit the range tomorrow. As to the holster, I am leaning towards a shoulder rig.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ldmay375:
I hope to mount it on the 475 tonight and hit the range tomorrow. As to the holster, I am leaning towards a shoulder rig.

I think that you will like the shootability of the sight.

Shoulder rig is an excellent choice IMHO

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An attempt at posting pictures. I mounted the RMR today, but too much wind for the range.
[URL= ]FA 475, 4-3/4 with RMR[/URL][URL= ] ]
The dot does Not look this clean to my eyes. I wish it were this focused to my eyes, but still way better than irons.[/URL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pic #1 = A close up of the mount from FA.
Pic #2 = Another view of the Red Dot and the Express Sight dot.

[URL= ] ][IMG]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I am starting to like this RMR. The FA 475, 4-3/4 with the RMR is now my most favorite revolver. Pictured below is BFR 475 with an actual 6" barrel, FA 454 with a 5.5" barrel, and the FA 475.
[URL= ][IMG]

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice revolvers you've got there!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I just need to shoot more, and hopefully I have started. Which of course means, I have to actually turn out some reloads. I had a blast today, particularly with the 475 FA. The 475 is my newest best caliber. BTW, you also have some very fine revolvers.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ldmay375:The 475 is my newest best caliber. BTW, you also have some very fine revolvers.

Thank you! It's hard not to consider the .475 a favorite as it does everything so well.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! It's hard not to consider the .475 a favorite as it does everything so well.[/QUOTE]

I do think the 475 is about ideal for me. Though my interest is gaining towards a 500 JRH. I wish BFR would build a Bisley type grip. I do like the BFR revolver, but much prefer the FA grip. Eventually, I am going to try the micarta on my BFR. -Just got off the phone with David Johnston, www.davidjohnstonleather.com regarding a holster. Once I return from my work trip, I will be dropping off the FA with RMR to be fitted for one of his holsters. I am pretty excited about this! I do believe this set up will be my new constant outdoor companion. - Have to get busy on Last minute things to do before leaving for work. Going to try to squeeze a little much range time. I ran 80 rounds of the BB 420 WFN through the FA yesterday and it needs a cleaning - And I need practice!!-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted on how it takes the recoil over time.

Posts: 64 | Location: MS & Louisiana | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bmash:
Keep us posted on how it takes the recoil over time.

That's something I want to know as well.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have one range session, 80 rounds of the full house 420 BB rounds through it so far. It is advertised as 1,100g's for recoil resistance. I have no idea what g's the 475 FA 4-3/4' Magna-Port dishes out? Of course, advertised is one thing and real life is another. I have never been a fan of "optics" on a revolver or lever rifle, but I am past the denial stage as to my use of irons; and I really like the compact size of this sight. I am giving serious thought to putting one on a 45-70 Marlin. I will be running some more rounds through the 475 this coming week.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good choice with the 4. Larger dots are used mostly for steel shooting.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter,
I am glad I went with the 4MOA. I actually wish they made a 2MOA (or some way to focus the 4MOA to my eyes). The reason being: Without 1x reading glasses, I do Not see the nice round concentric dot like the camera captured in the above pictures. What I see, is a non-concentric series of smaller dots, which appears about twice the size of the dot with 1x reading glasses. My wife sees the nice smaller concentric dot. Someone mentioned in another thread, that their buddy saw basically a blob, but was still able to kill deer consistently. I am going to use the 1x cheaters for the next trip to the range and try to fine tune the sight-in. In the field, I would not normally use cheaters; unless I had ample time to dig them out of my pocket. But, even the blob that I see is Much better than irons that are totally unusable. Though I did confirm, if my arms were 2x plus in length, I too can see a nice concentric dot. Anyway, not sure if I will be able to make it to the range prior to returning to work, but I am anxious! I just dropped the 475 off a David Johnston's Diamond D Custom Leather shop, to be fitted for one of his Guides Choice Chest Holsters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Want to have fun hunting? See all the floaters and when you scan, everything moves like deer. jumping
I have been taking Lutein for my eyes and don't see much difference in focus but it seems as if floaters are less.
I sure wish the red dot could be focused.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bfrshooter, I sometimes have the floaters, but thankfully not often. The lack of close focus is a biatch. Yesterday, I spoke with Trijicon customer service and asked them regarding the possibility of any future focusing adjustment for the dots. Nothing in the works, but the answer was left open as to what the future might bring (as one would expect from customer service). I will add, I asked them to send me a couple of extra mount screws, I am sure I over-torqued the existing and one of the heads "does not feel right". I am not going to screw with them until time to replace the battery, but want some on hand, in case. Anyway, the screws are on the way, no charge. The rep. merely asked if I would mind saying what I thought the issue was = My heavy hand(again!).
Additional, I asked about a cover for the RMR, he directed me to ScopeCoat. I called ScopeCoat, very helpful also, could have purchased from them. But, the lady said they had just shipped some to Brownells and gave the stock number. I ordered from Brownells.
I wish too there was a focuing dot. Even with the the "blob" seems a whole lot better than irons, to me. The 1x cheaters definitely sharpen it up. Wow, with the ability to focus, the dot woud be the cat's-arse! As my Grandpa use to say "Boy, it is hell getting old".
I shall continue to lobby for a dot with focus. A side note, the past 2-3 years my main rifle optics are acquiring etched reticles with the quick focus eye pieces, otherwise I almost totally unscrew the occular to be able to focus the reticles.