Find
Notify
Tools

.460 S&W Encore
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with an encore in .460 . My uncle was contemplating the purchase of a T/C Barrel but in research read that the .460 benifits greatly from the gain rate twist barrel of the Smith at long range. There was a comment made by the writer that if you didnt go with the gain rate there was no benifit in range over the .454. Any info would help thanx!

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I'm currently working on loads for a 460 S&W Encore with a 15 inch barrel (including the muzzel brake).

Accuracy at 50 yards is excellent but while usable at 100 yards, is less than stellar with 200 grain bullets. I'm now working with 250 grain bullets and have gotten one 2 inch 3 shot group.

With 200 grain bullets, I've tried H110/Win. 296, IMR 4227 & IMR 4198. The IMR 4198 thus far, seems to have given the best accuracy with CCI 250 large rifle magnum primers.

I'm hoping to get consistent 1.5 inch 3 shot 100 yard groups but don't think it will be with the 200 grain bullets currently available. If I can get the group size down with 250 or 300 grain bullets, it should be usable at 200 yards (I hope).

I have shot a S&W 460 S&W Magnum but not enough to comment on the potential accuracy thereof.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 20" encore barrel chambered for 460, I haven't shot it as of yet (hopefully tomorrow) But the loadings I'm going to try use 300grn XTP's and 250grn shockwave ML bullets

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I spoke to the former owners of Cast Performance at the SHOT show in 06 they said they achieved better accuracy with their 395gr cast bullet in the 460.I have a Bullberry 20" encore barrel originally chambered for 454 casull that I had rechambered for 460 mag that I want to shoot.Had back surgery so can't fire any centerfire weapons until I get clearance from the surgeon.