New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleanest 44 Powder?
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
I'm looking to expand my powder choice for the 44 (just got a new one). I've used blue dot, W296/H110, and AA#9. Any thought on a particularly clean powder I could add? I've heard 2400 is quite dirty. Thoughts? TIA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
2400 is like using black powder, there is no way that you can burn all the powder no matter what you do. I've always used Blue Dot. I remember showing my gun to people using 2400 at a metallic silhouette match.I had just fired at least 100 rounds with my Blue Dot load and hadn't cleaned it - they wouldn't believe that it wasn't cleaned !

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I like WC820.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be the contrary one and say that I see little or no unburned powder granules with H110 or WW296 or 2400, even in short barrels. These are slow powders that need a fair amount of pressure to burn well. Giv'em the pressure, and they'll do fine. Now if you want a reduced load, that's another story.

Posts: 97 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cleanest in my 44 and 480 by far is Hodgdon's Universal. If you want more power...say within 150 fps of H110, try Longshot. Its a tad quicker than 2400 but has a LOT of energy and is quite clean. You will use about 1 grain LESS of Longshot to beat your Blue Dot velocities by 100 fps.

In my Taurus 480 RB 6 inch, I no longer use H110, 296 or Lil'gun with the 275 and 325 gr bullets, and seat them out to 1.794 COL to give more expansion room for the Longshot. This makes or exceeds the factory velocities with less powder and recoil and at a very safe level of pressure. It is CLEAN, and has no little paper blue dots that don't burn.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting CAST bullets, most of the "filth" a pistol picks up is actually not from the powder at all....but smoke from the bullet lubricant. Don't get the two confused.

Powder smoke is easy to clean off a pistol in any case. I just spray mine down with WD-40 good and let it sit a few minutes and then wipe her down with soft absorbant cloth. End of problem.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Ramshot Enforcer. Very clean burning and a good powder for the 44 Mag. Burns very clean in my 45 ACP 5-shot Taurus Revolver.

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Well, I took the advice and tried some 2400 (I also tried some IMR4227). Ran some 2400 through the 41, the 44s, and the 45s. Two things are apparent to me:

1) 2400 is, indeed, dirty, though not much worse than 296.

2) 2400 is capable of outstanding accuracy. My 41, in particular, loves it.

Still, bluedot, 296, and AA#9 are great powders too. In fact, my good luck with them is why I had held off on trying new powders...

HMMM... perhaps some HS-7 and lil'gun would be fun too... so many powders, so little time.