THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Old eyes and iron sighted wheel gun!

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old eyes and iron sighted wheel gun!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a custom Ruger Vaquero in 45Colt that has a set of adjustable sights that were added by Clements and I used to shoot it pretty decent so I decided to do some practice with it last weekend for the up coming deer hunt and I can't hit a bull in the ass anymore with it. I knew I don't shoot an iron sighted pistol nearly as well as I did when I was younger (now 58 YO) but I have really went down hill. I guess I will have to use my scoped Blackhawk 41Mag again. I missed a deer last year with the 41 because the scope decided to fail, but I sent it in and was repaired so I guess it'll have to do. Getting older kinda sucks in some aspects.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1189 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have not had a chance to use this yet as it just arrived today. I am planning to use it with my open sighted revolvers to be able to obtain a good sight picture. One of my pals at Bullseye had one and he felt it really helped a great deal.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/hawkeye.php

Will report.....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill those really work good.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, my eyes are still good for open sights on handguns, however I found years ago it is much easier to see the front blade clearly if you widen the notch in the rear one. This seems to prevent the fractured bits of light on both sides of the front sight. Cleans it up and makes centering the front blade a piece of cake.
It's worth a try for anyone who has not done so already. . . . .

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those eyeglass rings do work well for target shooting. They were invented by another guy, whose name I can't recall now, and the rights must have been purchased by Lyman in the last few years. They've been around a long time. You can do the same thing with a piece of trimmed and shaped friction tape with a clean round hole, and you won't have to worry about losing them. However, in my experience, they don't work worth a damn in low light and especially when the target blends in with the background, such as a deer against brush or trees. They also require fairly exact positioning of your head/eye in relation to your gun, which is not always possible in field shooting.

I'd suggest a small red dot. YMMV.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Shot with my Lyman Hawkeye for the first time this morning. I like it and it really helps.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This product was made and sold by Merit and called The Merit Optical Aid, I bought one 20 years ago and they had been around a long time then. They work O.K. for bullseye shooting , but tend to fall off in short order when hunting or action shooting. I'm sure the patent had run out on them years ago, so Lyman would be free to copy them. Try one if you like, but I think it will not work out for hunting. I'd suggest that a red dot or pistol scope would suit your needs more reliably.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
The term "was" is not correct. Merit is still being manufactured and the difference is theirs has variable apertures, the Lyman does not. Theirs is $65.00 the Lyman $20. Merit readily available from Brownell's.

Jeff Quinn wrote a good review article on Merit a few years back.

http://www.gunblast.com/MeritOptical.htm

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

Merit was the name I was searching for, I've got a set. I just assumed Lyman had bought them out. My bad. Thanks for the update.

I still don't think they will work well for normal hunting situations.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the very same problem.... need glasses now...

Very sad day for me