Notify
Tools

6.5 jdj
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
does anybody use 6.5 jdj? what are the balistics
and what case does it use
ive read the 6.5 jap has more case capacity and is similar. since i have a type 44 carbine i wouldnt mind a single shot pistol in 6.5 jap to play with. , who would be able to make one without being a major ordeal?

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 6.5JDJ is made off the .225 Winchester case. Do a search for SSK and you can find information on this round. It was developed by a guy named J.D. Jones and SSK is his company. I have the .309 and .375 JDJs and they are fantastic rounds.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a 6.5 JDJ for about 15 years in a 12" barrel T/C Contender. My preferred load runs a 120 gr. Ballistic tip @ 2300 fps. A 14" barrel, which I would recommend, would yield about 2400 fps. The round has great accuracy using the Nosler and Speer 120 gr. bullets, and the bullets perform very well on big game up to several hundred pounds. As Ms. Hitman points out, the basic case is the strong .225 Win. which is easy to reform.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
6.5X50 does indeed have more case capacity than the 6.5 JDJ. Seems like a reasonable high performance option in the Contender.

Search the net for an article by "Rich Jake" (there are several different versions out there)to dispel any idea that the 6.5X50 could possibly equal, let alone, exceed the ballistics of the 6.5 JDJ.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've heard of folks claiming 120 gr @ 2500 fps from a 14" 6.5X50R. Two things to note, brass is very difficult to get ahold of, and with such a short neck, and long bullets, I'd be concerned that it would be difficult to keep from tweaking the bullets in loaded rounds when you take them into the field.

It is a neat round though, I'd considered building a 357 super maximum on the 5.6X50 case, but was turned off by the brass issue. I contact starline to see if they could make a 2" 357 basic case, but they said they didn't have the equipment. Strange, as I believe they make 50 Alaskan brass.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
PaulH
Graf or one of the MO outfits has 6.5X50R brass for sale. Someone out there on flebay also has it for sale.

Rich and I proved to our satisfaction that it was a lot better Contender chambering in the PLAN stage than the results stage.

I am going to dig the barrel out later this spring and see if it will perform better with 100 grain 6.5 pills!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've had a few buddies that had them. One barrel was quite successful, the other guy had problems with it. I just couldn't abide a neck that short for a round to be used in the field.

I had a 6.5 gr (30-30 w/ sharp shoulder, or 7 intl rim necked down) it would push 120's 2400 from a rechambered 14" 6.5 tcu, and was quite accurate. I kinda regret having sold that barrel.

Given the spotty availability of both 225 win and 5.56X50R brass, a 30-30 based round seems like a better choice. That said, I did have problems with case head seperation, so I'd want a round with a nearly straight body, sharp shoulder, and would carefully form brass.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually find the .225 Win. brass much more readily available than I did a dozen years ago or so. I'd advise a person to buy a couple hundred cases in bulk when they find it attractively priced, and I predict they'll never have a supply problem. I use .225 cases for a T/C .225 Win.,.257 JDJ, 6.5 JDJ, and .30 Merril. The brass, incidentally, is much stronger than .30-30 Win. brass.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote