THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    What is the best handgun for deer hunting

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best handgun for deer hunting
 Login/Join

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I'M look at Pistol & Single shot pistol. I would pick the 44 mag. or the 41 mag for pistol. With my super redhawk 44 mag 91/2 BBL shooting 240 XTP I can take deer out to 90yds with open sights and with my blackhawk 41 mag 71/2 BBL shooting a 210 XTP I can do about the same. For single shot pistol I would pick the Competitor in 308 Win 14" BBL with a 150 Nosler Ballistic tip This gun is good out to about 400yds. This is my pick what is your pick????

one of us
posted Hide Post
The one I have in my hand when I have to shoot one.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<cyberhick>
posted
whatever i got that is legal

<Paladin>
posted
I can't decide. Every year it's the same thing, trying to select from a number of effective handguns.

I don't mind going hunting, it's the decisions that are killing.....

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
41 mag in the Contender or a 6" S&W. I have taken every legal game animal in my state with the exception of black bear. One day i will try that.

mike

------------------
NRA Life Member

America, Love it or LEAVE IT!

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
<ty>
posted
All I hunt with is thompsons. If I'm Hunting deer I carry my 308 encore,If I'm hunting elk I use my 444 marlin contender.

<heavy varmint>
posted
My pick is the 44mag. but it's not as simple as anyone saying what is THE best handgun for deer, it depends more on the hunting situation, accuracy of the handgun, and the shooters ability.

<short243>
posted
Was using a 44 or 41 mag both good cal and was sucessful but lately switched to the 308 for personal reasons. Still hunt the same yardage 50 to maybe 75 in brushy to heavier woods. Got a Sav striker and liked it so wee got one in 223 for groundhog as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best one for you is probably not the one for me. If you are confident with your gun to 90 yds. with open sights then that is the gun for you...you most assuredly do NOT need the latest caliber or gun on the market. I know a guy who has many guns of all types, costs & calibers. What is he most confident with? A factory Ruger .357 Bisley that he has shot over 50,000 times! That gun is an extension of him...I guarantee that. I've seen him shoot faster & more accurately than guys with custom 45 autos beside him. Get confident with a gun of decent quality/caliber and shoot, shoot, shoot.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .41 Magnum is a most outstanding choice
for hunting in North America, as far as I am
concerned. I have taken Whitetale Deer, and
Wild Boar with full power loads and taken
Squirrels, Rabbits, and an Alligator with
lighter loads. It is versitile, and accurate
and has plenty of power without too much
recoil. I personally don't leave home without
it.

Posts: 67 | Location: Raleigh,NorthCarolina,USA | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
<pshooter>
posted
I also have a 308 striker and I love it. But it isn't for "point and shoot" tactics.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd really like to try my 480 on deer, I think a ~330 gr WFN at 1400-1500 fps would be a pretty outstanding cast bullet load.

For "hand rifles" I'm a contender man. Of 10" barrels either a 30 Herret or 357 maximum. For 14" tubes, the 6.5 JDJ or equivalents would be my choice.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<whales>
posted
I like the contender 14" in 357 Herrett and a Buris 2x scope. Using 25.5grs 2400 and a 158gr Speer JSP.

<Crawfish>
posted
I hunted for the last time this season yesterday. I'll be on shift for the next 7days starting today.
I used 4 different .41s' this season to kill my six deer limit (all does). I used my new Grey Reeder SBH to kill three (2 with the .41GNR cylinder and 1 with the .41RemMag cylinder). I used a BullBerry 14 inch Contender to kill 1, and the Fox Ridge 14 inch Contender to kill one also. Those two barrles are in .41RemMag. I also used a 14inch Gary Reeder Contender in .41GNR#2 to kill one yesterday.
My oldest granddaughter, she is 13 (I have 7) got to kill her birthday buck on the 26th. I have been watching a very good 10pt for three years and this was the year for her to try for it. I figured it at 145BC but it green scores 157 3/8. She used the SBH with the .41RemMag cylinder to kill her buck.
All in all we had a very good season. between my two sons and granddaughter and me we put 17 deer in the cooler.
Hope you all have a Happy New Year.

------------------
Handgun Hunter
LOVE THOSE .41s'

[This message has been edited by Crawfish (edited 12-28-2001).]

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I'll join the chorus...41 Magnum! Either my 6.5" Blackhawk or my 14" Contender. Speaking of which, has anyone done any load development with Cast Performance's 255gr WFNGC hard-cast bullets?

------------------
BH1

"Did you use excessive force?---I HIT IT WITH EVERYTHING I HAD!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's either my Texas Longhorn Arms #5 44 Mag when it's an open sight hunt or my scoped 7mm BR XP-100 when the range gets a little longer. Both are super accurate.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
My trusty old Modle 57 S&W 41 mag. Unless I can aford a Striker in 308 win by next season.
X-Ring

------------------
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

If your living like there is no HELL, you better be right!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a tie; 44 magnum or 45 colt with hot loads for my ruger.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
<yoda>
posted
I'll have to join in by sayin' the ole .44 mag with 320 hard cast LBT style slugs, or my accuracy load with 180 gr Sierras.Oh yeah, T\C of course. Longer shots I'll fall back on my 7mm IHMSA in an XP-100.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its my S&W Classic DX .44Mag. with 83/8" barrel. I shoot it better than any other handgun I ever owned. If I use a scope its my Freedom Arms 454 Casull with Leupold 2x.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote