Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to buy!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I am in the market to get a big bore pistol all of the sudden! Last night at about 10pm I had an encounter with a big boar hog and now I feel like I could use a revolver when tracking a wounded hog.

which would ya'll recommend? I have a Beretta 92G but I think I may want more horsepower for these hogs.

By the way, this hog was hit behind the shoulder with my .338 Win Mag Eeker at 75 yards and was still feeling fine an hour later Eeker

I've looked into the 454 Casull and 500 S&W and I really like both calibers.

Are the BFR's any good? I was really wanting a S&W with a caliber choice that ya'll think but I guess once you have seen Dirty Harry everyone wants a S & W right? Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
The BFR's are good especialy the ones from the custom shop the Smith in my opion is too big (in frame size) and therefore doesn't interst me.

Any caliber from 45 Colt (with heavy flat point hard cast) and up will work and many will recomend the 44 Mag and such.My take is that you want the revolver for a last resort up close and personal response. I would take a hard look at the 500 JRH from the BFR custom shop.........
It is a real thumper in a very portable package

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Get you a Taraus Raging Bull in 44 Mag for work on hogs. It has accuracy,adequate power and controlability to hunt or finish off porkers!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454. It's really accurate, and I'm very happy with it.

I also really like the Glock 20 in 10mm.

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taurus Raging Bull in 480 Ruger. Mine has a ported 5" barrel, stainless steel. 325gr bullet at 1350 or thereabouts...potent hog medicine I would expect.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
My boss has an 10th Anniversary Aimpoint Ruger Super Redhawk in .44mag I am trying to buy from him!

Anyone know anything about these? They came out in 1990. What would be a good deal?

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
SRH in .480 Ruger would be a great choice. They don't kick all that hard and mine was very accurate and loaded with Buffalo Bore 410 grain hardcast loads, very potent hog medicine!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buglemintoday, I had one of the Ruger Redhawk Aimpoints. The gun also came with a nice leather holster that held the Redhawk with the Aimpoint mounted. There was a picture of a Redhawk on the outside of the holster. A neet setup ready for hunting.
I unfortuneitly sold it several years ago and I have never seen another one.
It was a great shooting gun, the aimpoint is of course dated by modern standards but will work regardless.
I think it would make a great gun and make sure he gives you the holster. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I've shot the BFR in 45-70 and the S&W in 500 S&W Mag. and liked both but the S&W the most. Unless you're recoil tolerant, you might find the recoil of the 500 S&W less than pleasant.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a BFR in 500 JRH or have Jack Huntington build you a full custom on a Blackhawk.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWD:
Another vote for a BFR in 500 JRH or have Jack Huntington build you a full custom on a Blackhawk.

The 500 JRH realy whacks game hard. I put a 440 grain hard cast Factory load at a claimed 950 fps through a bull Elks rib cage and it made about a 3" exit hole........ thumb

Jack does produce some AWSOME revolvers and the Freedom guns can also be chambered for this great round.......... 2020

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
My go-to big game hunting rig is a Freedom Arms M83 in .454 Casull with a Leupold VX III 2.5-8x32. I love the gun and I love the cartridge. What ever you decide on should be handy, quick to bring into action, and fit your hand like a glove. As for the ordinance, it should be able to fling a heavy hard cast bullet at a pretty good clip (1100+ fps).

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have an 8" Stainless Steel Raging Bull in 454 it will be my Hog gun if I ever have the time/money to go.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need one of these.

Or if you want something a little more compact.

That hog won't be feeling much of anything after he gets slammed with a 700gr slug Wink

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
DEC - Those things are unbelievable!!! 700gr Smiler

Grumulkin - How bad was the recoil on the .500? I have shot a Ruger chambered in 454 before and it was tolerable for me.

posted Hide Post
I use a 6 inch Colt Anaconda 44 mag and this thing flat out shoots . With a 240 gr xtp its bad medicine on hogs . The accuracy is just amazing in this revolver!!

Posts: 17 | Location: Tuolumne Co | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I've shot a S&W revolver in 500 S&W Magnum and also an Encore with brake chambered for the same cartridge. In comparing them with an unbraked Encore in 454 Casull and a braked Encore in 460 S&W Magnum, I would say the recoil is similar in all.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the .454 and almost bought one, but with my somewhat limited experience with powerful handguns, went with a Dan Wesson .44. I wasn't sure how well I could hit with a heavier recoiling gun. The DW is fairly heavy and handles the full-house 320 gr. hard cast loads I shoot quite well. Most importantly, I can hit with it. Last year I took a black bear, estimated by the DOW to weigh over 500 lbs, with it. That bear will be entered into the next B&C record book when it comes out. He scored 20 2/16. I shot him facing me, and those Cast Performance bullets penetrated into his hind quarters. I found both shots just under the hide.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Wow Cobra!

Thanks for the story! I have been out all day today looking for pistols!

Justin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The S&W 500 is pricey but it is also very accurate. I have several targets shot from 25yds open sights from a sand bag that print 5 shots well under 1". I can't remember the last time I shot an out-of-the-box revolver this accurate.

The first year I had mine I shot over 1k rounds during load development for this cartridge and I was amazed at how versatile and accurate it is. I've loaded bullets weighing from 223gr to 700gr and they ranged from mild 44spec levels to absolute sledgehammers.

If you can handle the recoil and reload I'd take a good look at this cartridge.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
DEC, I'm really lovin the looks of your 500 Snubby.
I have the 4" 500 and it really isn't bad to shoot with factory loads. I'm sure the comp helps some.
Even with the 4" bbl it starts to get abit heavy on the belt after several days of hunting.
I was looking really hard at a BFR in 500 JRH from the custom shop, but then saw a 475 BFR on Gunbroker for cheap, so I got it instead.

A really practicle gun that is nice to pack is my 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. It's very light and handy, plus you can shoot light 200gn loads for plinking or push 350gn LFNs at around 1200ish.

I think the BFRs are a real bargin and they make Rugers look like light duty plinking pistols. They are heavier to pack around, but that also makes them easier to shoot with heavy loads.

If you're looking for a belt holster, try gunbroker and type in EJH holsters. They are a great holster for very little cash. I've bought 3 so far and am very pleased with them.

What ever you decide on, I'd get it in stainless.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DEC:
The S&W 500 is pricey but it is also very accurate.
If you can handle the recoil and reload I'd take a good look at this cartridge.

I picked up my 4" on Gunbroker for around $650, slightly used.
Ask if a local shop will do a transfer for you. Sometimes it's $10-20 for the transfer fee.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Must of been a bad hit if he survived a .338 behind the shoulder.Did you find him?

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
buglemintoday, to keep the performance of my shots on the bear in perspective, I was 10 paces from him when I shot. Penetration may not be quite so impressive from a longer distance. For you guys packing that heavy iron around on your hip... whew, makes my pants fall down just thinking about it! I finally got tired of the weight on my hip and bought an El Paso Saddlery 1942 Tanker shoulder holster. This thing is great. The weight is hardly noticeable, it's out of the way and can be drawn in an instant.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
RiflemanZ - I think the bullet came apart in flight. Never Again! (200gr BT's) Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bugle , buy the .44 and use Buffalo Bore 340gr Hard cast . that should knock that bore stiff.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys!

I just ordered a pistol...should be here on Monday!

7.5" Ruger SBH .454/.45LC Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
A fine choice indeed!!! clap thumb

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A fine revolver. Enjoy.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

I shot a friends and I really think I will enjoy it!

I went up to the local gun store and compared the 454 to the 50AE and 500S&W and WOW!!!! That .500S&W makes the 454 look like a .380!

I still think I made the right choice as the price of 500S&W ammo is too much for me to have fun plinking with.