Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Handgun and Why
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just to get this going.
My favorite is a Colt Anaconda, .44 mag, 6 inch.
Why, is that I can shoot it better than my S&W 29's. Probably due to the extra weight. I shoot only cast bullets in it, either my own or Cast Performance heat treated bullets. 2400 is my favorite powder.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
S&W model 57 6" W/Nikon 2XEER
I love those 41mags. Great hunting caliber.
I shoot a 215gr SWC from National over H110, and it shoots like a dream. I punched one through both shoulders of a deer at 70yds. What more could I ask for?

------------------
Freedom wasn't free. Today they want our guns. What will they want tommorow?

<Fuzz>
posted
Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mg is my favorite (it's the only one I've uesd so far). 7 1/2" Shoots 240gr Hardcast 23gr H110 & 300gr Hardcast 20gr H110 quite accuratly. Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
41 mag. My 82 year old father in law can't shoulder a rifle anymore, but if I let him use my 7 1/2" Redhawk, he'll go hunting with me.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Mark C. Kimmell>
posted
I have two hunting guns. 7-1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag. shooting a 320gr. LBT gas check hard cast from Cast Performance with 21.0grs. of WW296 and a CCI 350 mag. primer. This load produces 1300fps. The other is a T/C Encore with three 15" barrels. Open sighted 7mmbr, 4x scoped 7mm-08 and a 2x scoped 35 Whelen.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
For hunting, I think I will take either a T/C or an XP100.

A Python Hunter would coem in handy too.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<PatrickS>
posted
Great forum to start up! My favorite is my T/C Contender with a 10" .22 K-Hornet barrel and Bushnell 2-6. My load is a 40gn V-max at about 2,450 and it will shoot under an inch for 5 shots at 100yds. I shoot ground squirrels, prairie dogs, starlings, and any other varmint that I can find. I hope to get a coyote with it some time as well. Also have a 10" .22LR barrel for it that's great fun. I'm seriously considering a 14" 30-30 to try on larger game as well. Can't beat the T/C for versatile!

Patrick Sween

<BigD>
posted
Love this topic!My favorite hunting handguns are my Contenders. I have a 17AH,257JDJ,30/30,309JDJ,358JDJ,and a 45/70. I have used them all except for the 358[too new]to take animals including squirrels,antelope,deer,and pigs.The 309 is so good its boaring.
Darryl

<Scott H>
posted
I use my 6.5" S&W .44 Special. It is lighter than the model 29. It is more fun to carry all day than the 29 too! The only down side to the mod 624 or mod 24 is a much sharper recoil with full house loads.

Like DaveC, I prefer hard cast bullets for most of my shooting. I prefer 2400 for for 300 grain cast bullets. For 240-260 grain Keith type bullets, I use either 2400 or H-110 depending on whim. I still have couple of pounds of Hercules 2400. I hear the new Alliant 2400 is faster than Hercules 2400.

When I shoot jackets, I use Speer 240 JSP or 240 Speer Sil. (not-hunting). I use H-110 exclusively with jacketed bullets.

Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't just name one. A Texas Longhorn Arms Improved #5, .44 Magnum. Met with Bill Grover in 1993 at his place to order it and had a great time talking with him and touring his facility. A flawlessly finished piece that is deadly accurate with 320 gr LBT LFN's behind H110. Number 2 would be my XP-100 Silhouette in 7mm BR. A beautiful walnut stock, shoots as accurate as any rifle I own and has worked just fine on whitetail out to 200 yards or so.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have handguns that will perform every task from hunting to plinking, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be my Taurus model 65. Mine is a four inch, with fixed sights. This gun will shoot point of aim with handloads in both .357 and .38 and has one of the best trigger pulls I've seen in any handgun in both single and double action. Best part is I got it second hand for $150.00. Good shooting.

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by DaveC:
My favorite is a Colt Anaconda, .44 mag, 6 inch.

Dave,

I'm with you on the 'Conda. I've yet to see one that didn't shoot extremely well.

Another favourite would have to be the butt-ugly Super Redhawk. Once you get the trigger working and the cylinder to lock somewhere in the vicinity of that hole in the barrel, they'll shoot like nothing else and do it 'til the cows come home to boot. The Dan Wesson's are nice shooters too, as long as they work - which seldom is all the way through the match...

-- Mats

<Wild Bill>
posted
I love the Anaconda too, mine's a .45 colt. I think it would lever just about anything I'd point it at with 335 gr LBT'S.

<Sako308>
posted
I guess I feel lucky today, for me it's my S&W mod 29. Been with me for 30 years now and has traveled to Alaska and Natal. Took my first handgun whitetail buck with it way back when, and the 29 and 7/8" Nyala was a very very impressive find. Not that many others wouldn't do as well, but better the devil you know! This Model 29 has been used so much that it has been refinished and rebuilt by the factory 3 times already.

<Sooner>
posted
I know I am going to take it on the nose here but I gotta say it. My Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt is like my american express I don't leave home without it! I don't think there is any thing in North America that could suck up a real hot 45 colt bullet and live to tell.

<Crawfish>
posted
LOVE THOSE 41s'
I have a bunch of Contenders but the caliber you will most likely find me with is a .41. A .41RemMag or a .41GNR#2 or a .41GNR or a soon to have Contender in .414Wesson.
Can't say it enough, LOVE THOSE .41s' :

------------------
Handgun Hunter

<Dave Stout>
posted
I would have to buy different grips for sure if I bought a Taurus, Ruger, Smith and many others. In my opinion most grips are too small for even an average sized hand. Why?

Is it safe to say that the Red/Black Hawks have very strong frames? I certainly think so. I will never buy one, though. Is it wrong to shy away from a handgun because you think it's the ugliest revolver you've ever encountered?

Is the quality of a Smith getting worse with every decade of production or is it just me? I've owned 2 and simply feel they can't take the pounding a Red Hawk can. As much as I hate to admit it, I think a Taurus is built better and stronger. Am I the only one that had to change the rear sight because I couldn't get the lighter/heavier bullets on the bullseye?

My vote goes to Colt fellas. The Anaconda is the best 44 I've ever owned or shot. The original grips fit. It has nice sights. It's strong and accurate. After 2,500 rounds of jacketed bullets loaded to max there's no noticeable flaws other than the timing is slightly off.

I'm not a 357 fan but I think the Python is the nicest modern day revolver ever built. What can I say? Pity they will no longer be making them. If I ever find another Anaconda in good shape I'm buying it on the spot.

My apologies if I offended anyone.

------------------
Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
My model S&W mod. 29. I have carried it for years now and it has prove itself time and time again. I just got an Encore and am shooting it almost daily but the 44mag Smith is on my hip always.

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<DEATHMERCHANT308>
posted
What a cool Forum!!! My thanks to you again Saeed.

My favorite Hunting handgun would be my Ruger stainless Super Blackhawk. It sports a 7 1/2" barrel and is topped with a luepold 2X silver scope. It loves to shoot 210 grain Silvertip hollow points.

Good SHOOtin!!

JIm

<Don G>
posted
An S&W 44 Rem Mag. I think it's a 629? Big enough to hold on to. Smooth SA/DA out of the box.

Used for pigs, mostly, although up here in Ohio I can use it for deer in shotgun season.

Don

<kevin>
posted
Great forum! Mine is a model 29 44 mag, and a 45 colt in a ruger bis model. I'm looking hard at the 454 in either a rageing bull or a ruger but i think i'll wait till the 480's ben out a little.

<PowderBurns>
posted
Ruger New Super Blackhawk 44 mag w/ 10.5" bbl. in stainless. Built like the proverbial brick latrine, heavy, accurate, excellent for long range or silhouette competition. (If you're gonna hunt with a handgun, it oughta be almost like a rifle.)

I like 240 gr. Lazer Cast SWC and H-110. Sights sort of stink, but can be "tricked" with some aftermarket stuff.

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

<PowderBurns>
posted
On the other hand . . .

I really like my Springfield 1911, the Smith (pre treason) Mod. 60 J-frame .357 in stainless gets carried a lot. I have a Smith 19, blue, 4" bbl. factory ported and trigger job. That's a nice field gun for carry.

Bakail Makarov 12 shot capacity. This one has been worked over and is smooth as silk.

Ruger Mk. II Govt. Target for practice.

Then there's the Walker and the 1851 Navy --black powder stuff.

Hard to decide which one I like best. Sort of like good-lookin' women . . .

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Contender in .375 JDJ if I have to select just one hunting gun.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
First it was the .44 Mag Redhawk, but then it became the .45-70 Contender, it just puts them down quicker. I then tried the FA .454 C for a bit for quicker follow up shots, but never got a chance to collect game with it and went back to the .45-70. The .309 JDJ came along for longer range shooting, but it too has not collected any game yet, but it sure will reach out there and touch them at range. But new for this year is the Encore in .50 Alaskan. This one will definatley be going into the field this fall. If my suspicions are correct there will be as big a difference between the .50 AK and the .45-70 as there was between the .45-70 and the .44 Magnum. Time will tell...

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<J�rgen>
posted
Hey guys , this is like : what was first ?
The chicken or the egg ?
But it seems we all like these stupid things!
Me too , I do prefer my Ruger Super Redhawk
9,5" .44 Mag. with a 348 gr. GC bullet out of
a Lyman mould in front of 18,5 gr. N110.
It slams the 25 meter chickens like nothing
else(search for them 8-9yards from where they
`have been)My Longrangegun is my Contender in
7-30 Waters Imp.or 30/30 Ackley Imp. , Super-
accurate and good for any 200 meter Ram , but
for hunting in an area with man-eating animals I`d take the Ruger.

<J�rgen>
posted
To Big Bore :
Since I do have a 45/70 barrel too,where did
you get this Alaskan barrel ? I do have an
Encore that needs "Something Big"
Anyone out there that has something similar?

<dartonvpr>
posted
really nice to see all these 41's, thought maybe the world had forgotten them. Mine is a blackhawk with 6 3/8 barrel, I shoot one load and have been for almost 20 years, it's 20.5 grs w296 with 210 Sierra. Have used it on hogs in Florida and bear in Oregon.

<Powderman>
posted
I have three, actually. My first one would have to be a Smith M29 8 3/8" in .44 Mag. Great accuracy for me, and controllable too. Next would be my 686 6". With the proper addition of a Ron Power mainspring and a 12" rebound spring, I have the smooooothest wheelgun I've ever fired. For woodswalking and close encounters of the worst kind, my Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt. There's just something about a 230 grain JHP, stoked with a liberal dose of Blue Dot that will get something's attention. Good, soft shooter--put a pair of Ajax fake ivory grips on it. Rolls through the hand like butter--nice! Shoots slightly lower than point of aim out to 50 yards.

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.

<SlimL>
posted
At the risk of repeating myself I have to name two. For close in work, 50 yards & off hand, I have my Super Redhawk in 44 Mag with a 7 1/2" barrel. Across my Pact Pro it is pushing a 240 gr. XTP at 1425 fps. I hope to work up some 310 gr FN for it by elk season. For the longer range for blacktail it's my .257 Roberts Encore. I do feel the need for something bigger for the Encore though. Maybe something in a JDJ. SlimL

<Elliot Viker>
posted
I would have to take my TC in 7mm TCU. From mice to deer I am good. My second would have to be my SSK 45-70 rabbits on up.

<JoeM>
posted
Hello
The only handgun I have ever liked well enough to keep is a Ruger Redhawk, 7.5 inch 44 mag, stainless.

Why?
A quality firearm that does not demand a ton of money. Lately I dont like Colt or Smith, but I liked them fine when I bought my Redhawk so we wont go into my current dislike for them here.

Stainless is easy to care for

The Super Red is a fine firearm, but I dont like the way it feels to me. The ordinary Redhawk, for me is perfectly dimesioned.

The Blacks, both super and standard are OK, I would not put off buying one, I am not completely married to double action fire mode although it is nice. The store just did not have a caliber that appealed to me on that day.

The 44 Mag is no longer the king of the hill in power, but if you consider the 45 caliber wildcats were being developed near or before its same time, it never really was. But it is an easy round to load for and has enough energy that I do not feel that I am missing out on anything. One of my handloads, with a 300 grain bullet being pushed by Blue Dot, penetrated the skull of a russian boar (right between the running lights), exited the skull after making a real mess of her brain, ran down along the spinal column and tore that up for about 10 inches before exiting in the chest cavity, where it tore up some more stuff and came to rest in the pigs hindquarters. She never knew what happened, dead before she hit the dirt.

Sixguns repeat, the single shots do not.

Well that is why I like this particular handgun, and virtually no other, as yet.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite for big game is my S&W 657 but actually my favorite handguns that see the most use for hunting and are carried the most are a Ruger Mk II with 5.5 inch bull barrel and a Volquartsen kit, a S&W 16-4 4" in 32 H&R, and a 6.5" Ruger Single Six also in 32 H&R. Many Saturday or Sunday afternoons or evenings after work I can be found with one of the above hunting small game. Small game hunting hasn't been mentioned but I bet a lot of the above posters actually spend more time carrying a small bore afield than the big bores. Satisfaction is slinging that shotgun while bird hunting to pursue a squirrel with a handgun.

Posts: 63 | Location: Creighton, Nebraska | Registered: 19 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
It's hard to have a favorite, but I do prefer a simple, cheap Mitchell Arms SAA 4 3/4" in .45 Colt: it handles unusually well for me. But, so does a Ruger Vaquero 7 1/2" .44 Magnum. Then, of course, there's the M1911A1 in a lightweight variant. At the other end of the caliber-scale, there's the Ruger Standard Auto pistol, 6"/.22 Long Rifle.

The common thread on all is that I can handle them well. There are many others I like, but these have handling qualities which are (for me) particularly user-friendly.
Paladin

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Jurgen;
My .50 AK barrel is from SSK. Bullberry and Virgin Valley Arms also make barrels in this round, but it has to be on the Encore frame of course. It is really a hoot, much more powerful than the .45-70 so that oversized brake SSK uses is really needed, and then it is still a hand full. While not a long range round, about like the .45-70, it packs quite a bit more punch on both ends. The bullets I have shot so far are the 450 gr. Barnes Original at 1727.7 fps, 570 gr. Woodleigh at 1445.2 fps, and the 750 gr. Hornady A-Max at 1125 fps, all from a 12" bbl. Since none of the vels are high enough to initate expansion (Barnes and Woodleigh need 2000 fps to expand-this is their figure, not mine), I think the best load is going to be one I have not tried yet, a 475 gr. LBT LFNGC hard cast that should give about 1800 fps when loaded up to max. The wide meplat will tear one heck of a hole and no expansion will be needed. It's quite a round and I think you would enjoy it very much.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<SD Handgunner>
posted
I guess I would have to say my Favorite Handgun is my Smith & Wesson Second Generation Model 645. No I don't shoot it the most, no it is not the most accurate, and no it is not the most powerful. However it is like a very special old friend. I carry this Handgun every single day, and it is kind of like a security blanket to me.

Mostly I shoot C.C.I. 200gr. JHP Blazers in it, but am also in the process of working up a load with a 200gr. Hard Cast H & G #68 SWC for it. This load will be for use at our local Indoor Shooting Range which stipulates only Non Jacketed Bullets, for whatever reason I do not know.

Though I have never owned one, I have always had a hankering to get a Stainless-Steel 7 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. Maybe someday I will have to break down and buy one.

Other than that, as far as other Handguns, the T/C Contender with Barrels chambered in .223 Remington & 7-30 Waters would also rand right up there as favorites also.

But then there is also the .243 Winchester Savage Striker that I am currently testing, and the list goes on, and on.

Larry

<Don Martin>
posted
Well I guess here I come!! Strolling right out of left field with my 6" Desert Eagle Magnum, chambered for the .44. Sweet shooter, just a lot of steel to pack around. 23.5 grains of H110 pushing a Hornady 240 grainer makes for "dead pigs" walking. Great gun for up close stalks when you crawl in the bush for bedded boars.

I also like my 629, but with the shorter barrel, my accuracy suffers tremendously. Took a caribou a couple years back with it and it performed admirably.

I'll try the Desert Eagle this year in AK for black bear/caribou and maybe next year in Africa for whatever gets in my way.

Getting close to game was not the problem this year for me, but drawing my bow was. I think with a handgun I could have taken some nice trophies over there. Next time!!!

Don Martin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As has been mentioned, I like my 10" TC hornet topped with a 1.5x4 Tasco. Mine is a standard hornet. With bulk 45 grain HP's (bought from Midway), and IMR4227 powder, it will stay under an inch at 100 yards with no problem. It makes little varmints go "pop" when you hit them. Kills groundhogs and foxes graveyard dead with no exit.

[This message has been edited by Max503 (edited 06-05-2001).]

<Fuzz>
posted
How could I have forgot my 1938 luger. Now that was a fun gun to shoot. Reliability is a different issue. Fuzz

<Wes>
posted
No one real favorite.

I like older M-29's, older ones are made like a watch. Best trigger, hands down. Light, so they kick hard. Ones made in the last 15 years make good boat anchors, IMHO.

The M-19 and M-27 are great plinkers, same feeling on old vs. new.

Love my accurized series 70 gold cup NM, probably the most fun and rewarding gun to develop proficiency with. Brass recovery is a pain.

Most accurate revolver is a DW M-44, but, as someone said, keeping it going for a whole match means total disassembly, clean, lube before and after each match. From DW it was reliable, but rough. Lots of tweaks made it very smooth, crisp, not so reliable. This was a hard gun to tweak. Likes 22.5 2400 + sierra 220FPJ seat to cannelure w/ mild crimp, ww case, non magnum primer, brand not important. Will shoot 3.5" 100Y from rest, all 6 holes, for about 75 rounds, at which time it may start missing lock up.

The one which gets shot the most is a S&W M-41 5 1/2" bull bbl. I use it for .22 bullseye and, some day, postal match competition. Standing up 2 handed, it's about as accurate as pistols get under 50 yards. It is my main pest extermination tool, using yellow jacket .22's. Using a .22 pistol adds some excitement to an otherwise dull undertaking. Around the house, it gets about 30 chipmunks and 2 dozen squirrels, plus a woodchuck or two. Have a second 5 1/2" bull with dot sight for bullseye competition. Ammo is always loaded for this one, no brass to worry about.

Gramps' old 1917 DA 45 from his WW1 service is kind of nostalgic.

Wes