New
Find
Notify
Tools

TC .223 load with Blue Dot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've seen a few people on here making reduced loads for rifles with blue dot, anyone doing it for pistols? I've got a 14" TC barrel that I'm thinking about working up loads for and last time I shot it with factory loads, the blast from it was terrible. So I was thinking reduced loads and blue dot sprung into my head. So what kind of velocity should I expect.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
They should work great. I'd subtract 200-300 fps from what guys are getting in their rifles.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried some Blue Dot reduced loads last winter from a heated shack with a Tikka T-3 rifle in .223. I somehow ended up with a mess of Midway 46 gr. HP's a while back and they shot one ragged hole at 50 yards despite the heat mirage from the shack. The load was 11 grains of Blue Dot sparked by some 20 year old Rem BR primers. Velocity was 2520 fps ave. (22" bbl)and pressure appeared to be very mild. This load shot the same POI as the regular load the rifle was sighted in for.

I'd suggest starting around 10 gr. for 50 to 55 gr. bullets and keep 'em mild. Turns a .223 into a Hornet.