Notify
Tools

How about this one......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Passed on the used RH.

I went to Bass Pro and looked at several different models. The SBH Hunter was my favorite. I liked the SBH Hunter 44Mag, S&W 657 41Mag, and SRH 454Cas the best of what they had and the SBH just seemed to have a combination of a good feel, balance, and a nice look.

So what about this one fellas:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=860&return=Y

I'm probably going to pick it up next week.

I usually buy all my firearms through GB or GA but, I can get it here locally for only $34 more
than the deals on the two above sites and I think I'd rather go and choose one in person as well as avoid having to go to the FFLs place twice and fool with a money order etc.

What do you fellas think about the SBH Hunter in 44 Mag?

I'm thinking of mounting my 2x Nikon EER scope on it.

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If it's what you like, then sally forth and do good. I had one from the very first run and liked it very much. However, it was a victim of the divorce from my first wife.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader..if you can try to locate one with the bisley gripframe as they handle a little better. I have the bisley hunter in 44mag and one in Reeders 410GNR(454 casull necked down to .41) and I love them. A revolver for hunting just don't get any better. Of course both are fully customized by Gary. I also use a 2x Leupold on them.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the fact that on that model Ruger you can mount a scope and leave the iron sights still on the gun.
Then If you want you can take the scope off, or put it back on with out loosing your zero.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woodrow S:
Reloader..if you can try to locate one with the bisley gripframe as they handle a little better…QUOTE]

Yep, before buying new SA revolver, take some time and check also this one: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=862&return=Y . I am not saying buy it outright, but make sure that you fire all of them with FULL POWER 44 Magnum load, preferably 300-320 gr bullets. Shooting plinking loads at 44 Special level tells you very little. You can get box of heavy hitters from one of those high quality custom shops like Garrett, Buffalo Bore, etc. I know, they are pricey, but wrong gun purchased impulsively is much more expensive proposal. Do not buy stories that this style of grip is better than other, only your hands and arms will tell you which one is the best for you. I would suggest narrow you choice to SBH and Bisley from Ruger, BFR from Magnum Research and Freedom Arms. My personal advice; make sure that you try Bisley. FA is fantastic revolver, beautifully manufactured from best materials and to the highest industry standards, but pricey also. Too bad that it doesn’t have Bisley grip…

Posts: 158 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
What advantages does the Bisley have over the Western style grip?

I'll have to order that one, the local shop told me they could not get the Bisley SBH right now(out of stock from his supplier). I could just order it from GA just like I do most of my guns.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been thinking about buying a Super Blackhawk Hunter with the Bisley grip frame. I have both a .44 Redhawk (7.5 inch barrel and Pachmayr grips)and a .357 GP100 (6 inch barrel and Ruger grips). I shoot both with full factory loads and have no problems what-so-ever managing the recoil. I do not have overly large hands (large glove size) and I do not like the feel of a gun rolling back in my hand. Which grip frame would probably work better for me -- the Bisley or the traditional "plow handle"? Unfortunately I'll not have a chance to "try one on" before making a purchase.
Tom

Actually, all SA revolvers will roll up somewhat in recoil. As a consequence, hammer spur will be closer to thumb for the cooking for next shot. Due the grip design, Blackhawk, Colts and clones will rotate even with standard 357, 44-40, 44 Special, 45 LC, etc. This is because of reducing grip cross-section toward hammer on these revolvers. What is quite normal and gentle for all folks when firing noted rounds, it will be nasty, painful or even could hurt you if shoot full power 44 Magnum or more powerful loads. FA and Bisley are different story; their grip cross-section remain basically constant or even slightly increasing (depends of the stock design) in curved area on the top. This creates “breaking†effect between grip and hand thus spreading recoil energy in time. The effect is reduced recoil effect that you feel, although energy is the same. So, since you stated that you do not like gun rolling in your hand, I would stress that you SHOULD NOT PURCHASE ANY single action revolver before trying it first. Otherwise, you might end up spending your hard earned money on something that you don’t need and like. Been there, done that, and don’t want to go thru same exercise again.

Specify your location and I am confident that there is somebody on this forum who is close and will be very glad to let you try his SA revolvers. If your intentions are to shoot some powerful loads, you should try at least full power 44 Magnum. Shooting 44 Special will not give you true picture how that particular revolver behaves with top loads. Good luck and make sure that you are going to find something that you like. Same like looking for a wife… or when girl is looking for a husband…

See more about this subject; http://www.rugerforum.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/014156-3.html

As you could see from other replies, majority of folks prefer Bisley for heavy loads. However, that doesn't mean that YOU will like it. As I suggested to "tguil", let us know where are you located, I am confident that there is somebody near you who will help to try some revolvers before making purchase.

Posts: 158 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
What advantages does the Bisley have over the Western style grip?
As others have noted the Bisley grip is the most comfortable when managing serious recoil. Compared to my Contender 10 inch 44 magnum (fitted with the Pachmayr rubber handle), the S&W Mtn Gun in 44 magnum, my Encore (when it was a 10 inch 454), and more than a few shots taken with other's Blackhawks, Superblackhawks, FAs, N-frames, Raging Bulls, Redhawks, and SRHs lead me to agree. The SAA grip rolls in recoil, but sometimes more sharply than is comfortable. The DAs dig in to the strong hand but it is easier to shoot well consistently as the hand takes the grip in the same way each time. Of course shooting magnum loads in a light N-frame is as much fun as hitting a fastball with a cracked bat. Therein lies a more important benefit of the Bisley grip shape. In my hand the Bisley grip allows me to commit nearly as consistently as with a DA and it spreads out the felt recoil. I've yet to find the single action pistol wearing a Colt SAA plowhandle that I can shoot as well as my Bisley Blackhawk or Bisley Single-Six.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I would gladly buy that revolver if I hadn't already bought a SRH .44 Mag. That's a good looking revolver if you hung your EER Leupy on it, it will likely be plenty accurate too.

I don't think you do wrong to buy it.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote