THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    How frequently do you practice?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How frequently do you practice?
 Login/Join

<Sako308>
posted
To maintain true proficiency how frequently do you practice and how many rounds are expended in the process?

<Daniel>
posted
Here is my routine. I shoot every Sunday, weather permitting. Sometimes I shoot Saturday and Sunday depending on how ambitious I get at the reloading bench on Friday night. But always on Sunday. I own several handguns but I only take one gun per trip to the range and will shoot 100 rounds only. No real method as to choosing the gun I will shoot. Whatever I feel like when I open the safe. Sometimes 44 magnum, sometimes 357 mag, sometimes 10mm. Just all depends. I limit myself to 100 rounds because after years of shooting I have decided that is about my fatigue threshold. After that, I begin to get tired, lose focus, lose concentration, etc. My shooting becomes counterproductive at that point. Crazy thing about it, it doesn't matter the load I use either. I reach the same point after 100 rounds of wicked 44 mag as I do with 100 rounds of light 38 special wadcutter loads. Go figure. True proficiency with handguns requires far more practice than does rifle proficiency. If you can, try for at least once every two weeks. The amount of rounds you expend in a session is totally up to you. If you get to a point in your session where you catch yourself losing your focus and not concentrating on your sight fundamentals, pack up and call it a day. You just have to determine your own limit. It also helps to think about what you want to do specifically in a training session before you begin. Set an objective for yourself. Not at all unlike the way a martial artist meditates before practicing. Sounds crazy, but try it. Good luck.

<Fuzz>
posted
1-2 times a week. I shoot 50-75 rounds of 44mg. 5-10 rounds 270 and 200-300 rounds 22lr. Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weekly shooting about 5000 rds of handgun 2000 rds of rifle and 3000 rds of shot gun per year that not counting the hunting rds.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<brewtcl>
posted
I shoot .22 lr every week in pistol and in rifle. I don't really count the number, but I'd guess b/t 200-500 depending, I try to get good quality groups/shots. 44 or 30-30 contender gets shot once a week 20-50 rds. revolvers and other every other week, # rds vary.

<stans>
posted
I used to go shooting every other week. Now, I am lucky to go once a month. Too many obligations to fulfill.

[This message has been edited by stans (edited 06-01-2001).]

<Sako308>
posted
Thanks all, especially Daniel... I to agree that there is a practical limit to any practice excercise. The brains ability to focus clearly and give 100% is really the best judge on any given day. I was particularly interested in the comment that "it doesn't matter which caliber is used..." simply, it's the brain not the hands which tires. Thanks fellas, this all helps.

<45/70 marlin>
posted
I shoot once a week.When I shoot I usally shoot several diffrent pistols and rifles.I shoot between 25 and 1200 rounds a week,usally 300 to 400 rounds.

<SlimL>
posted
I envy most of you guys. I wish I could do it 2 times a week. Right now it is about every two weeks, as often as I can get to the gravel pit. As for how many rounds it depends on what I am doing. When I was breaking in my Encore barrel one afternoon over the course of about 5 hours I only shot 17 rounds. If I am doing self-defense scenerios it could be as much as 350 rounds of .44 Mag target rounds. Let's not even talk about how little shooting and all the time we take to sight in a firearm or do some real work across a chronograph. But the most work and the least shooting is one of my favorite times-I always learn a lot. Slim

<PowderBurns>
posted
I think any shooting practice improves marksmanship. Off the bench with a scoped rifle improves concentration, breathing, etc.

Helps to have someplace close to shoot, and something cheap to run ammo through. That said, I have a RWS Mod. 34 .177 cal. air rifle (nice set trigger), and a Ruger Mk.II Govt. Target.

But I get lots of practice with the Super Blackhawk too. Probably shoot weekly. (Helps to be retired)

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

<Elliot Viker>
posted
I cary a gun every day, out on the farm and would have to say I average 75-100 rounds a week. I shoot crows, fox, rocks, stuff, rabbits, what have you. The point is shoot as often as you can and not always at the bench. Shoot like you would when hunting. If you can hit a rabbit at 100 yds under the same conditins of hunting, you will be able to hit that deer or what ever you are hunting in the fall. Shoot, shoot, shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot once a week. I shoot two rifles and one handgun. 20 rounds through each rifle and 50 rounds for the handgun. I shoot the rifles at ranges of 200 - 600 yards. The handguns at ranges of 25 - 200 yards.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Wes>
posted
Grew up shooting from age 12 to about 22, shot must have been 300 rounds a week of .357 (I cast bullets in my spare time, spend every penny on ammo) plus about a brick of .22's, another 50 '06. 200Y range was behind our barn.

Age 22-32 used to be about 200 rounds / week, 4 times a week, .44 / .357 mag mostly, with another 50 per week of assorted '06, .308, and .257 wby, plus a half brick of .22. I lived 10 min. from a nice pit in the mountains which rarely had anyone except me in it.

Age 38, 2 kids, house, yard, garden, now it's 50 rounds / week centerfire total from dec-april, but its near zero in the summer. Range is BIIIZZZEEEE-EEEE!! in summer, and I prefer to shoot alone or with a friend. It amazes me how little spare time I have when its warm and the sun is shining. Maybe when I get older things will come around full circle.

Wes