New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto travel with a handgun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can I travel by car with an unloaded handgun from coast to coast without facing arrest? I have ccp in my home state, but most states don't reciprocate.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to Packing.org They seem to be pretty
current on Handgun travel.

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I bought a booklet someplace, don't remember where, and it covers the laws of all 50 states.
It's called "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States"
www.gunlawguide.com
Traveler's Guide P.O. Box 2156
Covington, KY 41012

It's written by an attorney and is updated regularly.

Each state has a Traveler's checklist:
for Idaho:
Handgun ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required.
Rifle and shotgun ownership:
Assault weapon ownership:
Machine Gun Ownership: no state restrictions, compliance with federal law only.
Firearm law uniformity: preemption law, firearm laws uniform throught state.
Open carry: unrestricted in most public areas and generally accepted
concealed carry: Licenses issued on a "shal issue" basis; automatic recognition for nonresidents with carry permits from other states.
Vehicle carry and transportation: loaded handguns may be carried in plain view; loaded rifles and shotguns may be carried in plain view or securely cased and hidden from view.

And then it has some comentary about things.

This is done for each state. It's definatly worth looking into. Get a copy and keep it in your car when you road trip. If you run into trouble with a cop that thinks he knows the law, you could show him how things are supposed to be.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not in NY !!! Probably not in NJ either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An unloaded gun isn't worth squat...why even take it. My take...I travel from Pa to South Dakota and Florida with my handgun in the glove box...loaded of course. I am a free person living in a free country...if the uniformed person can't recognize that...screw them. I was stopped once in S. Dakota and the Rapid City officer was just fine with it. Some people realize a person has some basic rights, and the rest of them can...well you know.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mete,

With the high crime rates of both NY and NJ one would have to be an idiot to travel through without packing some heat! But I guess some people like to be targets and there is no shortage of them there. I refuse to be a target.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
If you do get stopped and happen to have your pistol loaded in the glove box, let the officer know that you have a loaded pistol in the glove box before you open it to get your insurance and registration papers.
Another thing that helps is to keep your hands up on the wheel where they can see them when walking up to your car. You don't want the cop getting edgy. Talk nice and respectful and most times you will get the same.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodrow S there are a lot of people who have had there lifes ruin.

Because they thought Well just screw them.

Some states that works just fine try it in others and you well be sitting behind bars pissing and moaning about it.

Each states is differant to be legal when traveling through them unloaded and locked up well work. Unless you know that the sate your in allows one to carry other wise.

Try your Well just screw them in NY NJ CA IL and a few others but you better be ready to call for bail and have a good lawyer on call.

You well not find a more firm beliver in the right to bear arms them me. But untill the day comes that we win. Ones has to think about what one is doing.

There is far more likely a chance that you well end up in jail in certain states then you well end up needing you firearm for protection. The far east coast and far west coast are just some of the places. When you travel from PA to SD don't get caught in IL. With your just screw them Cook county jail is not a nice place.

Even as Law enforcement officer whos has a vaild CCW for the whole country now under the Law enforcement protection act. Iam very carefull how and when I carry in the most anti gun states. Nothing like haveing your life ruined by some over worked Police Officer and DA.

Sure I most likely win in the end but how much of my time and money is it worth. When just being a bit more careful well prevent it.

For the rest of you do some careful research get a CCW from a state or two and you well be safe in most places.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
pdog shooter has good advice! Follow the laws or be sorry.

Woodrow:
So Dak honors PA CCW permits, thats why the officer didn't have a problem with it.

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ammohouse:
pdog shooter has good advice! Follow the laws or be sorry.

Good advice. It is fine to be macho until you get stopped and it ruins your whole trip. I also thought there was a federal law about being able to travel through any state if your piece was unloaded and secured in the trunk (if you have one). Transportation of firearms act.

I would check state by state with Packin.org and might check with the NRA as well. But always bear in mind that even if you are lawfully carrying the piece, some asshole might make your day.

What we sorely need is a federal CCW permit system, or a federal law that forces states to recognize the CCW of another. It is a "full faith and credit" issue but I don't want to be the test case. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
So much for "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave". salute

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote