Find
Notify
Tools

flare gun fun?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted
Has anyone tried any of those marking rounds in a flare gun? I see sites for 37/40 mm shooters and it seems that it could be done in smaller guns. I have shot "bird bombs" in my 12 ga and have thought about making "marking" rounds for the 12.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No but I have cut down 12ga shells to fit and then filled them with wax. Good way to get rid of stray dogs without really hurting them.

Butch

Posts: 62 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 05 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about pencil flares? Anyone ever used them for "offensive" purposes?

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
There was an incident in WWII with a boarding party used a flare gun !! Worked fine !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do those little 12 gauge marine flares work in 12 gauge shotguns, or do you need a flare pistol. Since some of the flare pistols appear to be all-plastic, I'm guessing a regular steel 12 gauge shotgun chamber would handle the pressure. I'm mostly concerned about corrosion.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HenryC470:
Do those little 12 gauge marine flares work in 12 gauge shotguns, or do you need a flare pistol. Since some of the flare pistols appear to be all-plastic, I'm guessing a regular steel 12 gauge shotgun chamber would handle the pressure. I'm mostly concerned about corrosion.

H. C.

Don't worry about it DRAGON'S BREATH

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
If you use marine flares in a 12 gauge make sure that there is no choke in it. We tried this once back in high school and the flare lodged in the barrel about 4 inches before the muzzle. The barrel turned bright red. We ended up taking a hack saw to the barrel. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote