THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FUN SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Fun Shooting    Anybody shooting flesh flies with airgun ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody shooting flesh flies with airgun ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
I do it in this way: I found somewhere old pre WWII airgun without stock. That airgun is .177 and is not powerfull, I belive about 300fps or so. But it is good for one thing: Make a ball from a wadding and put into chamber. If you like "high power", put it deeper to barrel, pour a little of sugar o salt (salt is bad for barrel) on it and another "wadding ball". It is maybe upto 1.5m efective and of course shooting it inside room and on flying targets ;-)

It makes pretty good skeet practise ;-)

Jiri

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about this? I use shot sizes from the original yellow Crosman shells (#4) up to handloads of #12's. You can also use a .36 caliber ball in the empty shells. This flies and when it hits a groundhog, it sounds like the big bore projectiles hitting a buffalo. Recovered balls are flattened half way.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6511043/m/962108862

Enjoy

Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, your idea is crazy but I like it and have done similar nutty things. I can think of a way to make it even more exciting by adding "dangerous game" to your prey. Load your rifle up and then go after wasp nests. Or you could pick the wasp off at "watering holes, i.e. mud puddles, one at a time.

Another super, SUPER target would be dragon flies at a pond. Enjoy

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Here's a good one, I take a .22 rifle with no sights, load it up with no#12 birdshot and go after carpenter bees, loads of fun!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpenter bees with a Daisy Red Ryder on the wing!! I averaged 12 shots per bee last summer!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Been shooting wood bees for years with a pellet rifle, then a 22 shotgun.A buddy made one out of a taurus pump with a smoothbore barrel and a bead site.
My house back home is made out of cypress and the bee's are thick about 3 times a summer. It's a hoot to sit on the porch with a cold frosty beverage and splatter the damn things.
Regards, Lee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was teaching my son how to shoot his pellet gun(crossman 760 pump) when the dragon flies where thick in the back yard. i was quick pumping it three times and putting bb's in. As he is my witness, I pegged two dragon flies mid air at 15 feet. Tried like hell to do it again and haven't even come close. He still talks about it.

One of Us
Picture of 348srfun
posted Hide Post
I am glad to hear that others have found out what great targets carpenter bees and dragon flies make. Rat shot in a pistol was great fun. We would also shoot strike anywhere matches in our old pellet guns at wasps on the side of the house(brick). They go off like little grenades.

Charlie
Measure twice, cut once

Posts: 25 | Location: S E Georgia | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid about 50 years ago I lived on a farm in Pennsylvania. The main source of income -- and work -- on this farm was the dairy. The dairy barn had large overhead wood beams -- maybe 10 inches square. There were bumble bee nests in this barn, and bumble bees would frequently land on these beams. I used to shoot these bumble bees from time to time with a scope-sighted .22 rimfire rifle, using .22 long rifle ammo. The bullets would go into and be absorbed by the beams and thus would not damage anything else.

(I also used to chase the flying bumble bees with a board that I used as a swatter; knock them down; and then step on them and kill them. Until one time I missed one and it stung me in the lip. But that's another story.)

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote