Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Shot of MY lifetime
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted
I witnessed a tie breaker while competing at this year's National Guard National Championships in Little Rock Arkansas. Two shooters were tied for the Fallen Comrade's trophy, an aggregate of the combat pistol and combat rifle leg matches. When they were told they'd have to reshoot the whole rifle match to break the tie, they both said, "No f#$%ing way!" They were given permission to come up with a tie breaker them selves. Since we were at the 500 yard line finishing a different match, they agreed to take one shot each off hand at a type B target. It was after sunset, but not yet too dark. Both shooters pulled up and let fly a singe shot. After a minute or two a few people remarked that they must have both missed. Once the targets appeared a spotting scope revealed the first target had a spotter in the 3 ring, about 10 inches low. This shot seemed pretty amazing until you looked at the other target, a bullseye, just off of dead center! The two shooters looked at each other, nodded and walked away.

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 13 yr old son uses ratshot in his Browning pump on swallows and starlings - rarely misses!!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
i took my little brother up to northern wisconsin (near the town of winter) to my girlfriends cottage off the chippewa flowage the other weekend. her dad had set up a shooting range in the woods nearby, and i brought a couple of rifles with to teach him how to shoot. he was shooting a 22 mauser trainer, and he wanted me to shoot my mauser 8mm. so, i obliged and the first three shots, offhand at about 50-60 yds were dead center, bullseye shots. needless to say, we were both impressed, and allthough i shrugged it off as no big dael, i have to say, i was probably more amazed at it then he was.

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.22 Ruger 10-22 Bone stock.Ohhh yeah it was on the fly.

Posts: 134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Working in my Family's cabinet shop 15 years ago, I shot a flying hornet with a hip shot from a staple gun. The staple went around both sides bringing him to the ground, but didn't go through him. Crazy shot.

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is amazing what a shooter can pull off now and then. I watch my son hip shoot a grouse in the head as it flew by him. That was with his 10-22. He told me after wards I just had to try it Dad.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid in S.C. I had a single shot stevens that I hunted all of the dangerous game with (birds snakes frogs). One day I was walking at the edge of a field and I saw quail running about 15 feet in front of me. I cocked my trusty rifle just as the remainder of the covey came up in my face, I tripped over a root fell flat on my stomach and the rifle went off. After a few moments I got up reloaded and walked a few steps in the direction the covey had taken, I had not taken 4 steps when I looked down and there it was, my first quail! What are the odds???? Take care and God bless.

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Among some of my more amazing "lucky" shots:

1) First deer, running shot on a mule deer at 100 yards in dense forest; stuck it right in his ear. Borrowed .270

2) Shot the blade of a hunting knife stuck in a log and blew up two beer bottles set at a 45 degree angle to either side; .22 at 25 yards. (Ruined the knife) Repeated the shot months later on two anti-freeze jugs full of water with my .308 at 150 yards by shooting a rock between them.

3) Shot the head off a baby rattlesnake with my .308 Win at ten yards. He was about 3" long.

4) "Shot" a cock pheasant with the stock of my 12 Ga; barrel not attached.

5) Shot a jackrabbit from the back of a '57 Chevrolet convertible at 40 yards with a thirty-five pound bow by hitting short. He jumped up, the ricochet bounce off the ground and nailed him dead-center.

6) Shot an incoming dove flying at "supersonic" speed at five yards off the top of a Chevy El Camino with a 20 ga. Completely covered my face with his remnants.

7) Fired into a flock of thirty turkeys at 100 yards with my 25.06 Rem. Killed one bird by taking the top of his head off right above his eye.

8) Vaporized an armadillo's head with my 25.06 at 150 yards; left him still standing.

9) Shot an incoming dove and caught him by his head, between my index and middle finger without taking my hand off the fore-end of the 12 ga.

10) "Killed" a blue quail with a 12 ga. that subsequently flew out of my game bag ten minutes later.

11) Shot a buck jackrabbit off the back of a doe with my .308 Win at 50 yards without disturbing the doe. I think she was stunned by how sex had affected her boyfriend.

12) Jumped and killed a mule deer buck on the run at 50 yards with my .308. The shot spooked a coyote at 100 yards (off to my left) that had been stalking him. I spun on the coyote and shot him in the head, on the run, with the next shot.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Of course you realize that shooting barn swallows is a federal crime.

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Lighting has struck twice!!

I was out at the range today. Here's the target I was sighting in on at 200 yards. You see that hole close to the #10 - It had 2 bullets go through it!

:

I was shooting an 8x57 Mauser at the VisiShot Target. Then put a big Sight-n-Glow over it for my reloads in different caliber. You can still see 2 of the 8mm holes in the white over the target. First shot with 270 Winchester hit just on the edge of the 7 ring at five o'clock. Adjust scope to what I guessed would have been about half way to center. Then shot the 2 shot group in the 8 ring still at five o'clock position. Adjusted scope up and to left more - Then shot that single shot in the 10 ring at nine o'clock position. Went right 2 clicks on scope and shot the one that almost touched the #10. Then (and here it is) put second shot through that last hole by #10 - If you look hard it is a little bit bigger that the others but not by much.

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was about 16 I shot a blue winged teal on the fly with his afterburners on at about 40 yards with my 22 coey.

The chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WAGNER95696:
Of course you realize that shooting barn swallows is a federal crime.

Not here in Oz!!!

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Growing up my "bird watcher" neighbor had a huge oak tree in her backyard. Well that Xmas I I got a pellet gun and decided to test my luck. So I aim and pull. The bird just drops out off the limb. Did I mention the dove was 45 feet up and 70 yards away. A year later I find out that she blamed her son for shooting it. Oops! I also found out I hit it right in the neck. For me it was an incredible shot at that age.

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pop can thrown in the air with a 12ga shotgun with a slug { grabbed slug by accident}

Posts: 90 | Location: Okemos Mi. | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once watched a prone 22 match at 100yds. One of the young guys complained that he had done badly because a bee had been buzzing around his target and had distracted him. An old boy listened, settled down, shot the bee and was heard muttering that the fool should have just swatted it as he walked away..incidentally, need i say who won the match?

Posts: 157 | Location: Scotland at the mo. | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have seen some shots like that but not my me.
Have some friends that have done the unbelievable.
#1 shot a coyote at appox. 400 yds with an open sight .22 hit in the ear hole....... I swear

#2 Rooster pheasant on the wing with a POS .22 pistol at about 20yds.
Never been that lucky, and no I don't play the lottery anymore.....I know my limitations.

Now I could talk about the time my folks came home early from vacation and my girl friend was still asleep in my bed but thats another story.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Best/luckiest shot I have ever seen was my uncle in 1965 (Captain USA at the time and just back from Vietnam) who shot a running jackrabbit at about 30 yards, in one eye out the other, with a .22 LR on his father-in-law's ranch north of El Paso. A couple of days before he had shot a coyote at 300+ yards with a 22-250 lying on the top of a station wagon. He retired a Major General.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
In the late 70"s I was duck hunting with my brother and my wife. A good sized flock of Blue Bills came into the blind making a pass from left to right,I stood up first and shot with my 870 with a skeet choke I knocked down 7 of them with one shot, My wife still talks about it.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I've shot bumble bees off hand with a semi auto CO2 BB pistol. Actually, it's easy. You can see the BB and make an adjustment.

Impossible using the sights.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Elmer Keith killed 4 running jackrabbit with 1 shot from a .44 mag Eeker It was pregnant though!

I wont even tell ya what some of my shots consisted of (better sense)! beer

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More years ago than I care to admit (when I was about 14), I got my hands on an ancient Hudsons Bay Company percussion shotgun. Never thinking of it's antique value, I proceeded to use it. By luck, I found a pound of FFG and a can of caps, and developed a load by tieing it to a sawhorse. I very brilliantly figured that if it didn't upend the sawhorse, it ought to be about right.

After that, (and since shot or anything else was priced way beyond my budget) I fed it a diet of chopped up battery plates (sort of like lead sen sen) which did a fine job of shredding Partridges and Prairie Chickens, at ranges of up to 3 or 4 yards, as long as they were sitting in the grass dead ahead of me.

I later borrowed a .45 cal. mould, busted another battery, and poured myself a bunch of bullets. They were way too small, so I wisely shimmed them up with numerous wraps of newspaper, which also served as wads. Accuracy was nonexistent, but the smoke cloud was wonderful and I was happy.

One day, one of my Dads friends came out to the farm to shoot ducks off a beaver dam a short distance from the house. There wasn't going to be any shooting happening without me being in on it, so I tagged along. Being out of "shot", I loaded up a .45 slug - and with my first shot, completely took the starboard wing off an incoming Mallard drake. The guy looked at me kind of funny, but said nothing.

A few minutes later, once I had re-stoked the gun, I put a slug square through the middle of another duck that was on short final for the beaver dam. Two shots, two ducks. I was amazed, but I sure as hell wasn't going to let on.

The guy looked a little harder, and asked "What are you shooting out of that thing?" I showed him my pocket full of slugs...whereupon he unloaded, put his 12 Gauge away, and went home without saying another word. I don't recall that he ever came back.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Tee hee!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter pulled off a "frontal brain shot" on a francolin in Zimbabwe using a .22 mag. The bird was running in the brush, she just threw up the gun and shot.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
well when I was 4 years old I killed a red bird off my moms bird feeder with my new daisy red ryder. I got the whuppin of a lifetime, got my bb gun taken away and got to do extra chores for a month. and never killed another red bird.

Married men live longer than single men do,

but married men are a lot more willing to die.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Group of guys cleaning up at deer camp, getting ready for the opener - took a break, ate lunch and broke out the artillery. I have a long barreled Hi-Standard 22LR that I dearly love to shoot and was popping cans, etc with it when one of my 'friends' spotted a tweeter sitting on the very topmost limb of a very tall pine tree - and about 75-80yd away. "Why doncha shoot him - ha-ha-ha!" Well, I pulled up with the Hi-Standard and pulled the trigger. The bird came floating down, completely decapitated. I pulled the clip from the gun, put it in the rug and zipped it up, knowing full good and well I could not do it again. Never did admit to anyone it was a pure OD accident! Wink

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The opening post is good -- it would appear that both of the guys Taurus Bill saw shoot knew what they were doing. My best shot is nothing all that great, except to me, a groundhog at 404 yards with a 6.5 Swede made by Steyr. The wildest shot I ever saw was when I was about age 12. I lived in Virginia and it was Springtime. Lots of birds in the mulberry trees. A buddy of mine took a deliberate shot at a robin flying from about 30 yards out with his Crossman 760 and killed it cold. I think a good thread would be impressive misses.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My greatest shot happened just two days ago. On my way to chech the scope on my .308 ( hadn't fired it in over a year) I spotted a coyote running through the field. I took good rest across the truck, and nailed him on the first shot. 450 yards running straight way!

Posts: 44 | Location: Winkler, MB | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, I was at that shoot!!! Wasn't one of those guys Maj Jordan? Yep, it was an awesome shot, I remember one of them saying when the shot broke, it just felt perfect (or something like that). I was still on the firing line wrapping up my miserable showing for WI.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was kid I was out in a field on a windy day and a bird was sitting on the top of a tall tree swaying around. I had an old rolling block 22 single shot and took a shot at him and hit perfect.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
Yeah Matt, Maj Jordan was shooting against Gary Webber. Neither of them made it to AFSAAM this year. Nate Watters was there and is still the man to beat. Just wait til next year.

Bill

Taurus Bill

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I was at an archery shoot with a few guys. I'm known around here for IDPA and Bullseye pistol shooting, and I'm NOT into archery, have never owned a bow, or even had much interest in it.

So these guys are all shooting their bows and practicing and one asks me why I'm not shooting with them. I tried to be casual and not get involved, but one persisted, so I took the bow, nocked up, fired, and hit dead bullseye on a target about 40 yards out.

It was a fluke, sure, but I wasn't saying a word. I handed the bow back to him, didn't comment, and calmly refused to fire another shot.

Another time, was when I was 6 or 7, with a little antique lever action daisy BB gun that had belonged to my grandfather, and then my mother. We were driving through a field and I was sitting in the back of a truck when I spotted a sparrow on a fence about 30 yards off. From the moving truck I took aim, fired, and to my and my father's utter surprise, the sparrow fell.

A little later, around 13 - 14 or so, I would take my .177 Daisy 880 pellet rifle, and line 22LR cartridges up on fence-posts at about 30 yards out, and with open sights, I would shoot the backs of those 22LR rounds and set them off.

I told my Dad that I was shooting 22 rimfires out of my pellet rifle. That one took some explaining, and he wasn't too thrilled to hear the story either.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was hunting turkeys in a rifle or shotgun state with my 12x7x57r combo gun. We watched a bunch of birds go into some sage brush.

We walked in on them my buddy shot one with his 12 gas as it flew away. Another on flushed and I shot it on the wing down it went. I looked at my buddy and said that didn't sound right. I opened the gun and showed them that I had shot the rifle barrel.

We picked up the turkey and found that I had neck shot it just behind the head. I gun has a 1.5 x 4 weaver on it. I belive it was set on 1.5 x.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
My then 8 year oldnephew wanted to try clay birds. He had never shot and couldn't hold up the .410 pump without help. So I put my hand under the forearm and he broke the first 3 straight. He has no idea how lucky he was... I have no idea how in hell he did it!
cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben589...

I just read and posted in reference to the post last February about mini-sniping. These guys are shooting 9mm cases at 35 yards with airguns. This equates to hitting a man at 1337 yards. You shooting at 22LR rounds at 30 yards is a far greater feat of accuracy. Congratulations!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
same as bushman, running coyote, 415 steps, 30-30 marlin, got him on the third shot.didnt know it until I saw buzzards two days later.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two come to mind...first was drawing from holster with .45 Ruger Blackhawk and hitting a running rabbit at about 40 yds. This was done shooting from the hip. I hit him in the head the head with the first shot.
Second was a head shot on a prairie dog at a measured (using rangefinder) 287 yds with my Ruger 77 Heavy Barrel .308.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought of another one.

In college we had a dart board and a dart pistol. A friend of mine drilled the bull's eye and told me to beat that. I said okay. I grabbed the gun, cocked it, and shot my dart in the exact same pinhole of his dart. Couldn't beleive it myself, but I didn't let him know that!

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid there was a big cootonwood tree behind my Grandmas house, ther were two squirrels running around the trunk of the tree I watch them for awile and then took aim at a point on the trunk where they were brunning the next time they came around I waited and fired, bingo I got one this with my BBgun.
First time I have ever shot any animal on the move.

short and fat and hard to get at, hit like a hammer and never been hit back.

Posts: 251 | Location: Just north of Salingrad. | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when i was in my 20''s i took out grandfathers 30-30 winchester 1894 . there were pigeons on top of the 75 foot silo,i loaded one 170 grain shell and rested the rifle in the crotch of an apple tree let fire the pigeon flew straite up in the air about 15 feet then fell to the ground, i ran over to the silo, sure enough no head,that rifle shoot a piano once but thats another story,regards jjmp.

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a bunch more of these kind of shots on another post.

"what's the most amazing shot you've made"

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote