Find
Notify
Tools

How thick steel for a gong?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I plan on adding a "gong" to my range but need to know how thick should the steel be? Plan on shooting it at 100 yards and further with all manner of rifles (22/250, 30/06, 270WSM,325WSM, 9.3x62, .375 H&H) May go up to .416's and .458's sometime.
My brother dragged home a piece of schedule 80 pipe (4") about 2 foot long with big heavy flanges on the ends and our 325 WSM and 9.3x62 sliced through it like butter and then blew big chunks out of the backside. How thick should our steel be?
Looking to hear from those of you that shoot a gong.
Thanks

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even for handgun they use abrasion resistant steels such as AR 400, AR 450 ,AR 500 .The numbers are the Brinell hardness. For your cartridges you'll need at least 1" thick or thicker !

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Hey Snell,

I use a hanging gong that is 8" square and 1 1/2" thick. 300g solids out of the .375 won't go thru. Penetration is about 1/2". 30 cal's penetrate a little, handguns just mark it.

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
mine is 3 in thick but very pitted on the face from repeated rifle hits. I got it off a guy who shot it with his 50 from 100 yds and the bullet bounced back and cut the bipod leg off his barrett. he had it layd on the berm. I hang it facing slightly downwards "leaning foreward" so the bounce is more down dont hit it square on. also if it hangs so it can swing a little to disipate energy it helps. once it gets pitted it will start to fling them back in all directions so do not shoot at closer than 100 yards.200 would make me feel better. to answer your question id say about 2 in depending on the steele used and how heavy and free swinging it is.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what you're planning on shooting it with, I'd get one inch plate and cut it to the size and shape you want and shoot it no closer than 200 yards. It should last a long time, is easily replaceable from most scrap yards, and is A LOT easier to handle than anything thicker. Basically one inch plate weighs 40 pounds per sq ft., obviously 2 inch would weigh twice as much. Around here you can buy scrap steel for about 12 to 15 cents a pound last time I checked, if you find something about like you need buy enough for some replacements while you're at it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As Mete has stated thickness isnt really what matters, granted it does play a part! You will want to look at the hardened steels AR's as he also stated! I have shot regular 3/8 thick steel and shoot clean through with both 204 and 22-250! If you want some thing really strong look at chromium carbide, it is very expensive but my 204 hardly made a mark with no indentation at all! I will be shooting some AR 400 in a day i will let you know how it holds up, but i believe most are made of AR 500. Sorry so long but i hope it helps.

posted Hide Post
Oh yeah and you will want to angle it toward the ground, check out youtube 50 cal ricochet!

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I should have added that since I use light bullets they explode on impact so I get no ricochet. When I shoot on fresh snow or freshly rained on mud you can see the bullet fragments. I wonder if the badly scarred target helps bullet fragmentation?

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I rescued a couple of pieces of bulldozer cutting edge from a scrap pile. I have no idea of what the type of steel is but it's tough stuff. They have been hanging on the range for several years. They've been hit with 300 magnums, 375H&H, high velocity 22s & 6mm, etc and don't show more than a few small dimples. The best part is they were free.

Construction businesses and equipment companies are everywhere. Ask around.

Mine hang on chains so that they swing away when hit. I think that helps dissipate the energy and there have been no ricochet. The bullet fragments, cast and jacketed, chew a trough in the ground directly below the plate. It's necessary to use steel posts to hang the plate as the bullet fragments will chew hell out of a wooden post in no time.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
AR500 is what you want (Mil-spec 46100 to be precise) In most cases 1/4" can be certified to NIJ III which is 5 hits of .308. 1/2" of AR-500 can be certified to NIJ IV (30-06 AP) I've got a warehouse full of it. I actually made some oval plates that when angled down present a perfect circle to the shooter. This was out of 3/8" but at the angle there's less energy directed into the plate. I have a couple left. If you're interested I can put one in a flat rate box and get it out to you. .223 .308 and .300WSM just explode on the surface. The AP rounds take a chunk, but don't penetrate. Let me know, (PM or through Collins(at)ActionAirgun.com)

www.bookmarq.com/image/556steellg.wmv
It's a promotional vid but shows the bullet disintegrating pretty well. The bright flash around the edges is the ambient dust igniting. you cant see it watching, it happens way too fast

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bright flash around the edges is the ambient dust igniting.

I assume "ambient dust" is the dust on the steel plate? What ignites it?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Caterpillar track sections work well. Shot as close as 150 yards w/ no penetration w/ rifles up to 300wm.

Cowboy Up
People Sleep peaceful in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who would do them harm
-George Orwell

Posts: 18 | Location: The Bitteroot MT | Registered: 19 September 2008Reply With Quote