New
Find
Notify
Tools

poppin Dragon flies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How about sitting by the stock tank waiting for the doves and popping Dragon flies with an Anchutz model 54 and CB caps?

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Seadog>
posted
We have a problem with carpenter bees here at my local range. People are surprised when I tell 'em not all the holes in the roof supports are from guns. We'll sometimes be shooting, and notice fine wood dust trickling on us. My buddies and I have fun early, using .22 revolvers and shotshells - carpenter bee skeet! It's a challenge, as they can dodge pretty well. The bigger and slower horseflys are easy targets.
We don't bother the dragonflys, as they eat other bugs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish you hadn't told me that Seadog. Now I can't shoot Dragon flies as I'll feel guilty. You're right of course. Thanks

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Flies with a pellet rifle! Outside of course!
The best part; shooting over bait is legal. [Big Grin]

[ 08-13-2002, 19:31: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<AVMcGee>
posted
I used to try that with a .410 single shot when I was bored when no doves were flying over. But I don't remember ever hitting one dragon fly. Of course I had a hard enough time hitting the doves.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

We have a house on the beach, which sits on top of a small sand dune.

A few years back, I had a T/C contender in 44 magnum, and I had some rounds loaded with shot, and some loaded with cast bullets.

We had quite a lot of those dragonflies around, and I was busy shooting them. They were only a few feet away, so I was getting with every shot.

My younger brother came along, and asked if he could have a go.

I gladly gave him the pistol, but instead of giving him shot loads, I gave him normal bullets.

He fired a few times, and never hit any. I tried a few, and again, I was knocking them down without any hassle.

He said: "You are cheating! I don't know what you are up to, but I am sure you are up to your usual tricks!"

I had to tell him my secret, and then he was quite happy shooting dragonflies with that 44 magnum.

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite prey are wasp nests with a pellet rifle. It can get real dangerous fast! [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So Pecos45,
What is the trophy score for a gold medal wasp [Big Grin]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<halfbreed>
posted
now if all of you big game fans want to have some fun, take your 22 cal pellet gun, load a wet q-tip end, and start shooting at the red wasps.
but beware, for the really dangerous crowd, keep a can of raid nearby for the charging jet fighters
also works good inside the barn for horseflys!
halfbreed

one of us
posted Hide Post
halfbreed,
Please explain the wet q-tip... do I load it into the chamber like a pellet or just tick it into the end of the barrel?

Greg

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<halfbreed>
posted
amosgreg, first try using generic q-tips, they are a little smaller. break them off just behind the cotton head, dunk in water, load them just like a pellet.
when they hit, it is like a big juicy paper wad.
SPLAT.
halfbreed

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
Got to try it!
Greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seadog:
I have fun early, using .22 revolvers and shotshells - carpenter bee skeet!

LMAO. I do the same with the bore bees and moths around here.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by halfbreed:
now if all of you big game fans want to have some fun, take your 22 cal pellet gun, load a wet q-tip end, and start shooting at the red wasps.
but beware, for the really dangerous crowd, keep a can of raid nearby for the charging jet fighters
also works good inside the barn for horseflys!
halfbreed

I had never considered them as a deadly projectile. I've used this method to clean the barrel (using Break Free of Hoppes instead of water). I generally shoot them into the wastebasket. You can get a Q-tip head (or a whole Q-Tip down a 177 caliber barrel.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<chevota>
posted
I've been using Q-tips to clean my pellet guns since I was a wee lad. I usually use the whole Q-tip, the first end in soaked in cleaning oil followed by a pellet. My guns will diesel if I shoot the Q-tip w/o the weight of a pellet in there too. I've also tightly rammed in larger cleaning wads, like for a .357 and followed with a pellet. That actually works better.
But bugs n stuff get full power lead.

Most people know how weak those .22 CCI shotshells are right? For some reason I have great success with little bats. Hard to see at night and dartin around like super ball, but I get better than 50% of 'em.
And of course Tarantula Hawks with a 12ga.

<chevota>
posted
Pecos45:
A real man gets a wasp nest with a stick!

<Herb D>
posted
Chevota,

I hope that you were kidding about your 50% kill rate on bats!

I just double checked with CA DFG as I was not 100% certain that bats are a protected species here in CA. THEY ARE!!!

As you probably already know, they are voracious insect eaters and thus are very beneficial. They are highly valued in many parts of the world. For example, in my small town city fathers spent $20,000. to relocate a small colony of bats that inhabited City Hall.

It is sad to see that they are persecuted by people who don't know what a service these little critters perform for us.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to be "holier than thou" (in my youth, Ive have done similiar dumb things [Embarrassed] ) but I hope you will reconsider this practice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Herb - You are exactly right. Bats are our friends for sure and we make a major mistake to kill them. I like the little guys and think they are neat.

Chevota - I'll pass on the wasps with a stick. A few years ago I was washing windows outside and accidentally yanked a screen off where there was a wasp nest near. One of the little darlings flew UP MY NOSE .

Let me tell you something, you ain't been stung till you get a wasp up your nose! [Eek!] I did a double back flip with a 2 1/2 twist off the ladder and it's a wonder I didn't kill myself with that alone. Much less what the wasp was doing to me.

Frankly, I'd rather have a wasp up my ass than up my nose. [Eek!]

Why, yes, I am MORE CAREFUL when I do windows now. How did you guess? [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:
One of the little darlings flew UP MY NOSE .
Frankly, I'd rather have a wasp up my ass than up my nose. [Eek!]
[Big Grin]

there went my coffee LMAO!

Posts: 68 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos, you crack me up!!! I visualized the pirouet off the ladder with a wasp up your nose, and I'm still laughing while I type this. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Sounds like if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all.

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote