New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've been shot !
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just tonight I shot some of that low powered Colibri 22 ammo from a 22 revolver at a piece of wood. The bullet bounced back from the wood and hit my trigger finger. It smarted but did not break the skin. The bullet was so low powered that it did not imbed in the wood. Instead, it left a dimple and bounced off. I never figured that would happen. If nothing else it's a good reminder to always wear glasses.

one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
Bouncing straight back like that shows how perfectly square and centered the shot was placed.

I had a similar occurence happen to me when I was a kid. I had an old Daisy BB gun that had the 50 round magazine that unscrewed from the muzzle. It was old and the seals were in pretty bad shape so it wouldn't penetrate much at all. In fact the BBs were slow enough that I could see them fly down range. I was plinking at some soda cans and took my first shot. I saw the BB go down range, hit the can and bounce right back at me just over the top of the barrel, hitting me on the aiming-eye side of the bridge of my nose. Being a kid, all I could think about was how I must have hit the can perfectly in the center or the BB would have ricocheted off to one side or the other. I'm amazed now at the fact that I'm still alive, let alone not missing any body parts.

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was shooting bowling pins one time (my last time) and had a 230 gr. swaged lead bullet bounce back and hit me in the nuts. I still have that bullet, it was easy to find between my feet when I was doubled over. Besides glasses a cup would be a good safety item.

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I had an old Daisy BB gun that had the 50 round magazine that unscrewed from the muzzle."

Model 25 I think, my big Brother had one, he could hit sparrows on the wing with it.
I got my left hand caught in the cocking mechanisim once, when I lost my grip, trying to load it.

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote