New
Find
Notify
Tools

plinking targets
 Login/Join

<chevota>
posted
A gallon milk jug filled with gas and set on a gas soaked burning pallat. Then shoot with a magnum 12GA slug.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chevota,

You can set it there. I'll do the shooting.

And I bet that a full house 75 grainer from a .25-06 is even more spectacular than a 12 gauge slug.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chevota:
A gallon milk jug filled with gas and set on a gas soaked burning pallat. Then shoot with a magnum 12GA slug.

Purrrrrrrrfect, only I would add a dozen caged cats with C-4 colars.

urdubob

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
usually I get two cases of ultra cheap soda cans Shake em well and at 20 paces even a .22 vaporizes em.

We live in citrus country and in the winter you can walk into the orchards and pick upall the old oranges, lemons and grapefruit you care to haul off, growers don't seem to mind.

Nothing like a grapefruit getting whacked with a high velocity 115 gr. 9mm hollowpoint very satisfying.

Reno

posted Hide Post
A few friends and myself are always gathering neat things to shoot.

Probably the most fun thing was a old, broke down washing machine.

We jumpered the timer switch so it would agitate.

We took it out to the poison ivy farm, filled it with soap, water, rags, and got it running off a generator and long extension cord.

Backing off a hundred yards or so, hit it with 2 rounds from .50BMG bolt guns fired almost at the same time.

That was impressive.

Posts: 18 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 17 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
OK, not for everyday use but BillyBangers are the BOMB!

http://www.tannerite.com/she_exploding_targets.html

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This seems like a good idea, a bag of fine gypsum that lasts several shots. Would be nice if they have different colors.

http://www.rangebomb.com/

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A search on the net turned out some videos of tannerite getting shot(this binary stuff is extremely popular)

http://www.okiebigbores.com/goodies.htm

Yes, click on the stuffed toys.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Nearly empty propane bottles, soda cans filled with dirt or water, spent shotgun shells, wayward hubcaps hung from a tree, magpies.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prickly pear cactus!

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,

Ever tried marshmallows??? There pretty cheap to shoot.

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FORDFREAK I LOVE WATCHIN YOUR GRAPHIC....

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Cans of American beer [Big Grin]

It's about all it's good for [Smile]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tasco,
You better not be looking at my girl man!!!! [Mad]
Just kidding , eat it up dude [Big Grin]

Ford

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fordfreak:
Hey guys,

Ever tried marshmallows??? There pretty cheap to shoot.

If that chicks rack keeps a bouncin', some other big guns will do some shooting [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fordfreak,

Freshly joined this forum and you have pleased a majority of members, you shall do pretty good [Wink] .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotek,

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the eye candy. [Wink]

Good shooting,
Ford

posted Hide Post
I like to freeze a 20 oz. coke bottle of water, or any other frozen something. I have read that wet newspapers makes a real good target. And with the wet newspaper you can retrieve the bullets and see how they expand and such. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7 | Location: Tenn. | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

Helium filled balloons (various colors), tie several together in a bunch at 100-300yards pick a color hit it without hitting any of the others, these are contantly in motion with nice cross wind. Really gives your wind doping skills a workout!

Raw eggs are fun, let them warm up to ambient temp., hot glue fishing mono to them, hang them from cross bars.25-300yards

Potatoes and grapefruits stuck on sticks 25-300yards.

For trick shooting

Take a old lawn mower blade cement it in a coffee can. With edge facing you set two ballons back and to each side of blade. (a "V" shape) Set at 25 yards aim at blade with .38sp (semiwad cutters) attempting to split bullet to hit each balloon simutaneously(sp) Tough to master at first, but when you get the "hang of it" you'll draw the attention of others.

When I started hitting the blade regularly I had problems setting the balloons at the right angle to the blade (sweet spot). I solved it by using butcher paper to determine where the fragments were striking.

Also take a 2x4 and start a few nails into it, finish driving them in at 25-50 yards with 22lr.

All The Best
Steel

Posts: 19 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fordfreak:
Re the marshmallows... do they explode if you smoke 'em with hollow point bullets?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Root,

I've only shot them with a .22, so I dont know if they would explode with high velocity rounds or hollow points. The cool thing about shooting them with .22s is they can be reused. I just line them up on a log and see how many I can knock off before missing. If you want, 2 people can go head to head to see who can shoot all their mallows off first.
Try it!!!
Ford

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowmaker:
MSSmagnum do you shoot at a public range,Im asking because thats where we do alot of our shooting,boy can one run into some nut cases there,my wife and I we out shooting at a public range one day and there were a few guys there that had new york tags on there van and made a comment that all people should have to have proper training before being allowed to shoot,jestering to my wife,poking fun at her,when all of a sudden I got hit with gravel from the area under the shooting bench.I was never so pissed off in my life that bullet could have hit me or someone else,who needs the training,when I gave them my thoughts they said whats the big deal nobody got hurt.since that day we dont go to public ranges on weekends anymore we go during the week to public ranges and use my private range on the weekends,but we still have alot of work to do on it but were getting there if the rain will stop falling every weekend we might be able to get it done

Yes, i do use a public range but recently a buddy built a range on his place and have been using it. I have never had an experience like you did but have had slobs "sweep" me with a muzzle and other such stupidity! It is amazing, you tell em about it and EVERYONE of em says "it aint loaded" [Mad] .

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outrageously overdrawn caricatures of the usual Democrat gungrabbers-- you know who they are: a Senator from NY, an alledgedly married couple from Arkansas, a drunk from MA, a pistol-packin' witch from CA. Actually, I don't have such things, but I wish I could find them. May have to have them drawn on commission. I'd pass them out over the web for free if I had them. Sized for about 50' with handgun and maybe 200 yards with long gun.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some darn good ideas here. I find with kids,most don't like shooting paper--they like something to happen--make it fun. Most of my ideas have already been mentioned. Don't recall seeing charcoal briquettes so I'll add that. Like the cat as a target,but a few expressed a different view. So I'll say don't shoot cats,ur uhh you could launch them with a helium balloon and shoot the balloon though. The dry cow patties are also good to throw in the water and shoot. They float and you can see your misses. Be sure in area where ricochet is not a problem. Now to be sure its a unique idea,I'll offer this. Animal cookies were mentioned so reverse your scope so that it makes them look further away. .

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
an Idea with the tannerite exploding targets.
(note: this is to be done at your own risk)

take a large container of gasoline preferably plastic. place tannerite on top. place lit road flare about 15 feet behind target.

get FAR away.
plink the tannerite with a high velocity rifle round. enjoy the big fireball and chest thumping BOOM.

I have seen the tannerite targets before, they are fun and make a satifying thump when tagged. but they only work with rifle rounds. pistols and lower velocitys wont work.

also used shotgun casings work well and are cheap (can usually be found lying around) hit one just right with a .45 pistol and you can launch it over 20 feet in the air [Big Grin] also clay pigeons work well as pistol targets, set them out proped up (on shotgun targets?) and plink away. you know when you tag them.

-

[ 08-27-2003, 17:56: Message edited by: Unstable ]

Posts: 201 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FordFreak,

Man, that girl never gets tired!

Does anyone remember that Beverly Hillbillies episode where they were shooting at flies? The Clampetts had put a dab of molasses on the wall across the yard, and when Mr. Dreisdale came over, they were shooting at flies.* Jed explained that you had to hit 'em on the wing, and you lose points for shooting a bee by mistake.

Can you imagine someone in Beverly Hills shooting rifles in their back yard nowadays?

H. C.

*They were using rifles for this. If I recall correctly, Mr. Dreisdale took them to his trap and skeet club where they acquitted themselves pretty well, Ellie May using a slingshot.

[ 09-03-2003, 07:50: Message edited by: HenryC470 ]

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scrounger
posted Hide Post
I got something for Ellie Mae to use...

Posts: 281 | Location: Between Death Valley & the Atomic Test Site | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
My buddy works for the railroad and he gets me all the RR torpedos I want. Quite a bang when shot with a 22.
Fuzz

one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
Spent shotshells work nice.

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ping pong balls filled with FFg, FFFg, or FFFFg black powder, suspended by a string from a tree or wooden stand, etc.

You WILL know when you hit them. Be quite sure of that.

It's especially fun on a day with some wind.

Don't try them from less than 50 yards' range.

Peter the Hermit

Posts: 9 | Location: America! | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

a local gun shop sells exploding targets,a little pricey but they sure do draw attention,the last time i used them i put it on a back stop that was not in line with my lane when i hit it i just acted like nothing happend all the other shootes couldnt figure out what happend,so i had to ask with a straight face who was shooting hot loads he he

I saw this happen once at a range where the exploder set the target backing on fire!!! Talk about a "hot" load...

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote