THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FUN SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Fun Shooting    how young to start shooting??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how young to start shooting??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
About this old, but you might want a gun that fits.

And don't forget the boxing lessons ...

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
My dad started me off at 5, my boys had to wait until 6 as to just shooting.
The hunting started at about 8 for them.

But the had their first aircraft flights with me while still in their cradles.
The boxing had to wait, there mother didn't approve Roll Eyes

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, I don't think I fired my first shot until late June of 1975. I was 17. We were at my Uncle Eddie's in International Falls, Minnesota on our way to Italy. Eddie has a slew of guns and tons of ammo, some of it 30 years old (at that time). He had what he said was Garand ammo, which we fired away in an old '06. My first-ever round fired was from an old 1910 Model 94 in .32 Winchester Special. My dad "gave" me that gun at that time, but I didn't actually have it in my hands until Christmas 2001. We were on our way to my dad's job in Italy with the US Corps of Engineers, and ownership of centerfire rifles is not allowed in Italy-- especially not by foreigners. Shotguns are OK. The old Model 94 now rests comfortably in my dad's gun cabinet, 2400 miles from where I live. It's technically mine; my dad says he's just "keepin' it safe" for me...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started my daughter at the age of 5. She's now seven as is getting to be a better shooter. Teach safety first then hands on.

Posts: 39 | Location: N. Oklahoma | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
i started my daughter at 3 with a 22 my son was 2 obviously very supervised . i wanted them to start young so it would come natural and we could teach them safety and control early it has worked daughter has no flinch with any of my guns up to 300 win mag so far she is 15 my son is 12 he also has excellent control . plus it is good family fun . my wife is originally from california and was very scared of guns didnt want to be around them now she carries legally every day and has almost as many guns as i do. i say start them young but be sure to teach safety most of all.

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
start with the safety early.

i have three (going on 4) kids and my youngest was at the office where i work playing in the playroom and there was the remnants of a cap gun in amoungst the toys. just a the frame without grips and no barrel, really just the cylinder left. he knew it was a gun and had discovered a live 38 round on one of his forays through all of the various cabinets. he figured out that that was a shell and that it went into the gun.

he's 14 months old, can barely walk and isn't talking.

i have a revolver, but could swear that he has never seen me load one.

At 14 months old he knew enough to load a hand gun.

if you can't own it don't say it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son will turn 5 in march and while he doesnt know that he is getting a cricket rifle, he knows he might get one. I told him he had to memorize the safety rules and explain them to me before he could have one and i've never seen him so motivated to learn! I think that the age depends on the maturity of the child, AND, the maturity of the teacher. My sone will never be able to even touch the gun without me there to unlock it and supervise him in its use until much older, but for now i can set him up at the bench and have him shoot paper, cans, and bottles. I know that after that, he'll be a shooter for life.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
Mine shot a gun for the first time when he was 3 (My father and I held the Chipmunk and let him pull the trigger). He has become a pretty accomplished shot with his Chipmunk now at age 6. Took him squirrel hunting for the first time when he was 5 and he did much better than I assumed he would. He'll hang for at least three hours with little complaint. Getting him a deer rifle for his 7th birthday in April. He's quite excited about getting his first deer this coming season.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Aaron at six yrs.

He'd been shooting on his own about 6 months.

His younger brother wasn't ready to shoot on his own until about eight yrs old.

I think it pays not to rush em and use some common sense but the sooner they learn, the more natural it becomes. Smiler

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bought my first kids rifle as soon as we knew we were prego with the first. oldest has started telling me she wants to go shooting sometime. that means it is time to start. she is pretty small framed, so i am having trouble finding something to fit her.

if you can't own it don't say it

one of us
posted Hide Post
cricket is an easy new choice.I learned and teach with an ole springfield single shot

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guncurtis2:
I think that the age depends on the maturity of the child, AND, the maturity of the teacher. .

so true

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
The legal age here in Australia 12 and supervised,my kids started at 3 with an old single shot 22 and tin cans.
I used to spend my weekends with a couple of mates shooting pigeons with an air rifle when I was 9...... and we would cook and eat them.....shoot it, eat it !

Roger

Posts: 1036 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
My son just turned 3 in December and Santa brought him a Red rider. His sister is 8 and she got a Raven .177 pellet rifle in PINK. They are loving shooting and go out with me about twice a week. My daughter said to me last week I don't understand, I'm a girl but i just love to shoot! When we came in i went on youtube and showed her lots of female shooters. Teach em young and teach em right, you'll have a shooting partner for life.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first time I shot a weapon was when I was about 4. My old man was in the BSAP and he let me have a go with his FN-FAL and Uzzi, obviously I just pulled the trigger!!!!!

Posts: 116 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of sniper300gt
posted Hide Post
My dad and older brother started me shooting 22 single shot youth model rifle when i was around 5. Started hunting with them around 7. And i am planning on getting my son a little 22rifle when he is around 5 if hes ready. It really does depend on them. If you think mentally and physically there ready then try it out, If not wait a little longer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the child. It absolutely needs to be fun but the child needs to be old enough to realize the responsibility they are being intrusted wtih and that others safety is important.

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Taurus Bill:
I plan on getting my nephew a red rider, Christmas Story is his favorite movie. He's 5, you have to be 12 in NY to even touch a firearm of any type.

I got my boy a Red Rider at 4. I keep it in the safe with mine for safe keeps. My daughter will be 10 this May and i'm working on a .223 for her but she started with a pink pellet gun, then moved to a .22 mag. Good stuff! tu2 Make it fun, shoot clay targets, bottles of water, IE stuff that happens. Kids get bored with paper pretty quick. The other day i took the boy to Gander mountain as it's 10 min from the house and told him he had 20 dollars to spend as a reward for keeping his room clean and know what he picked out? 108 count box of "baby" clay targets. He says they'll be harder to hit. I'm so proud!!! jumping

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ncboman:

Aaron at six yrs.

He'd been shooting on his own about 6 months.

His younger brother wasn't ready to shoot on his own until about eight yrs old.

I think it pays not to rush em and use some common sense but the sooner they learn, the more natural it becomes. Smiler

That is a great photo! Note the grin on dad's face! tu2