New
Find
Notify
Tools

M4 conversions for 22 lr
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone tried a conversion kit for 22lr for thier M4/AR15? I love my M&P15 but it can be a little spendy for gophers.
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of XTP
posted Hide Post
The Ciener conversion works fine for me. I use it in my semi or select fire weapons.
I have a Colt conversion,mag capacity is only 10 rounds vs 30 with the Ciener. Works fine.

_________

Born to nap

Posts: 446 | Location: Never the same | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Get a 10/22, trash the factory stock and barrel, get a generic bull barrel and hogue overmolded stock.

You'll have a nice accurate semi auto 22lr.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Get a 10/22, trash the factory stock and barrel, get a generic bull barrel and hogue overmolded stock.

You'll have a nice accurate semi auto 22lr.

Or get a 10/22 T and all of this has been done for you (nice laminated stock instead of overmolded but I like wood better anyway).

For a 22 conversion get the complete upper. Very accurate, designed to shoot 22lr so failures are minimized and you have the correct bore diameter, chamber and twist.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ciener conversion works fine for me after a little modification.

Ciener himself is a prick, but his kits generally work. So if you buy one of his kits, buy it from someplace that will give you good support (not directly from Ciener).

This being said, a conversion unit will never be as accurate as a 10-22 that has been modified for accuracy.

So,
if you are looking for a tackdriver, get a modified 10-22.
if you are looking for more training with your combat rifle, get a Ceiner conversion unit.

CISSP, CISA, CRISC looking for a IT Security/Audit Manager spot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used and instructed marksmanship training on M16A1/A2s using the M221 device. This is a repalcement bolt and a magazine insert (fits into 20 and 30 round mags and holds 10 rounds). Accuracy at 50 ft is very good, especially with the 12" twist of the M16A1. At the Armory I worked at we kept 2 M16A1s for continual use on the indoor range. never had any problems to speak of other than normal cleaning and adequate lubrication was required. With the M16A2/M4s and their 7" twist accuracy at 25 yards wasn't all that great but sufficient for training as noted. I don't think it is good enough for hunting except when the 62 gr Aguila ammo is used. Accuracy then is fairly decent, especially out of 9" twist ARs.

I have my own M221 sub-caliber device with numerous magazine inserts and use it quite a bit with M16A1 upper for plinking and small game. I've found CCI Blazer to shoot quite well in mine. I also have a tool to HP the .22LR bullets which makes them better for small game.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want better accuracy using those conversions, mike your 22 bullets and use the brand that has the largest diameter. 22's aren't the same diameter as 5.56 bullet, they are smaller. I found that the PMC brand of 22's I had shot the best and they were among the largest I had on stock. By the way I have pre-ban HBAR with the 7 twist and it shot the 22's pretty good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Already have a 10/22. Just was wondering about shooting the 22 convertion kits. Sounds like it's not realy worth the money to me anyway.
Thanks guys
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
i have tried the Atchisson kit with my M 16; jams every 5 or 6 mshots. called atchisson up, they recommended using remington 'golden bullet' ammo. helped a little bit.
best option , i think is to get a dedicated 22 LR upper. which one? i dont know. please weigh in, AR members

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by emron:
i have tried the Atchisson kit with my M 16; jams every 5 or 6 mshots. called atchisson up, they recommended using remington 'golden bullet' ammo. helped a little bit.
best option , i think is to get a dedicated 22 LR upper. which one? i dont know. please weigh in, AR members

Dedicated upper wouldn't help with the jams.

I think many conversions are ammo specific. They love CCI, they hate Remington or Federal. Or they love Federal and hate Rem and CCI.

The dedicated upper should help with accuracy. The bore on an AR is the wrong twist and wrong size for great accuracy. But at least mine is good enough for fun shooting.