New
Find
Notify
Tools

45/70 or 45/120?
 Login/Join

<xcardealer>
posted
I'm getting a Pedersoli Quigley Sharps. Which of the following 4 choices gives the biggest boom and kick, a 45/70 with either the max black powder or smokeless load, or a 45/120 black or smokeless?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 45-70 brass is LOTS cheaper.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about Shilo Sharp rifles?
Are they better than the italian Sharps?
Hauke

Posts: 212 | Location: Hamburg-north of Germany | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
xcard the 45-120 will give you more punch on both ends but is more expense,the 45-70 and the 45-110 brass can be had at Starline.
Hauke,the Pedersoli is junk when compared to the Shilo,are the others made here in the states,and will last longer with out rebuild they the imports.but they cost!!

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<xcardealer>
posted
The Shilo, huh, thanks, I'll look into it. Which max. 45/120 gives the biggest punch, smokeless or black powder?

one of us
posted Hide Post
With the smokless loads you might notice a little sharper recoil,but with the black its a shove.All guns are different and you have to work up loads, but I have one that uses a 715 grain slug and it will get the job done out to about 300 yards

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<xcardealer>
posted
Dave Jones, What do you shoot that has a 715 grain slug?

one of us
posted Hide Post
its the 45-120 and the mould is one that was set up for the 460 Weatherby,but drops out at 715,I got the idea out of a black powder hunting mag.and have worked up loads that work in my rolling block.