New
Find
Notify
Tools

tracer question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
have been playing around with these tracers projectiles that i have loaded.when you see them bounce off a bank or tree etc etc is this the actual whole projectile ricocheting or the phosphorous coming out of the as end?

Posts: 65 | Location: South Taranaki,New Zealand | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are the bullets bouncing .Tracers CAN start fires !!! shame

One of Us
posted Hide Post
are you saying that i shouldn't be using them Confused

Posts: 65 | Location: South Taranaki,New Zealand | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Understand that they can start fires .Do not fire into woods or other flammable areas. Use only proper backstop that will prevent ricochets and will not burn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's true, they can start fires pretty easily. It's best to fire into an un packed dirt backstop, only shoot them on a rainy day.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to work in a Middle East war zone one time, and bush fires started by tracers were very common in the summertime. Some old unexploded artillery shells with phosphoric load also tended to go off every now and then due to the heat and cause fires as well. A friend of mine also managed to start a bushfire on a shooting range here in Finland with .308 NATO tracers on a hot summer day.

Shooting tracers is a good way to learn to understand how bullets really can ricochet to ANY direction. A very learning experience was to fire 100 machine gun tracers into a hillside full of various sized rocks at night. It was quite beautiful actually, but slightly uncomfortable too, to see them ricochet even towards you.

Tracers need to be treated with even more respect than normal ammo, that's for sure.

Posts: 217 | Location: Finland | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it is the whole bullet, sometimes just the phosphorus.

I have started several fires shooting tracers on our range when the grass was and dry.

Managed to put all of them out with out the Fire Dept.

It is really fun to shoot tracers out of an M 14 at dusk at a rock on the side of a mountain about 1200 yards away.

Really neat to have several "on the way" at the same time.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted Hide Post
I started a helluva fire with a trcer once, took me a while to put it out, woops... sofa

Posts: 85 | Location: Limpopo, RSA | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tony R
posted Hide Post
stationed in twenty nine palms california we used to start fires all the time with our m16s and the 25mm main guns. The coolest light show with tracers is wathing a 25mm gatling gun go off at night.

Posts: 75 | Location: vancouver wa. | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With Quote