New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Rifle Competition?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife asked to fire a few rounds through my Rem 597 22lr recently and really liked it. She has a Sig P232 .380 for concealed carry but hadn't previously shown any interest in rifle shooting (mostly, I suspect, because my other rifle is a FNAR semi-auto .308) until recently. I think she liked the low noise and almost non-existent recoil.

So - are there any sort of competitions for shooting .22lr? The 597 is supposed to be a right tack driver. I have worked up to being able to put 10 rounds into a 1" square at 50yds with it using Federal Auto Match ammo while teaching myself how to shoot. She did OK but was shooting from a rest that surrounded the butt of the stock and could not get a good view through the 4x scope.

If there are competitions - especially with a novice class - please tell me and if possible point me in the direction of how to contact someone about it.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1400 | Location: Southeast San Antonio, TX | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
There are lots of 22 lr competitions from benchrest to action shooting. 22 silhouette may the easiest to find. Any of them will have a beginner classification so novices aren't competing out of their experience group. All of them have national organizations with online forums. You should be able to find something near you through them. Most of teh colleges have rifle teams too. They often have extra curricular activities they let outsiders join.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Project Appleseed would be a great start for your wife. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

My son participated in a local Appleseed match, it's a rifle match losely based on the Army rifleman schools held at Camp Perry.

There were all kinds of guns, but most use Ruger 10/22's with Tech Sights installed.

The instruction is perfect for beginners and experienced riflemen. They also spend some time talking the history lessons of the Revolutionary War.

What I like is you can go to Appleseed matches just for the shooting instruction and fun of shooting, you can also work to earn your Rifleman badge. You basically make it as competitive as you want it to be.

Most of the shooting is done at close range (25m), but for experienced riflemen, our range allowed shooters to stretch out to 100 or 300 yards for centerfire rifle shooters.

My son went with his friend last summer, and both shot their first deer later that year, four deer (two each) with four shots. Not bad for a couple of 11 year old boys, I think Appleseed had a lot to do with their success hunting.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
I'm going to a rifle clinic this weekend in Victoria. It's the closest big town to me. It'll be a two day class that'll prepare students for more advanced rifle training. We're using .22s and they'll be teaching rifle basics, shooting from cover, different shooting positions, moving targets, etc. There are lots of clinics and classes scheduled throughout the year.
San Antonio is so much larger than Victoria that I'm sure y'all have places that teach the same.
She's welcome to come with me if she wants to.

That appleseed course might be closer to y'all. And worth looking in to. Looks like the one in Fredericksburg has something almost every month.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=27126.0

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
Well, my rifle clinic weekend was fantastic! I was shooting a Sig 522. I thought there'd be more .22s, but I'm pretty sure I was the only one. But, It didn't matter. I had a phenomenal weekend. We started at 8am and finished around 9pm yesterday. Went through almost 500 rounds of .22 ammo. Today was just half day. Went through an additional 150 rounds. We shot standing, high kneeling, low kneeling, sitting, kneeling leaning forward, leaning back, prone, rolling over prone, on our sides, from around multiple sized barriers, paper targets, metal targets, moving robot target, we also shot in the dark using night vision equipment or flashlights (i used a flashlight). And we also shot from several distances. I learned so much, wore myself out, and had a great time!!
If you can find her a class like this, I'm sure she'd love it. I know I did. The only problem is I'm wore out and muscles are sore, esp my fingers from reloading the mags so many times. But, it was well worth it.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, all. Last time I looked at the schedule all the Appleseeds I could see were in Dallas (or Dallas area) or El Paso. Haven't looked at the schedule recently. Been kinda busy this month. Had a Great-granddaughter born the 8th in New Mexico and we drove out to be there for the birth of our first. The baby wound up having multiple health "issues", had to be medevaced from Las Crucis to El Paso and only got to go home this last Sunday (the 26th). My Wife had her right knee replaced the 13th and I've been busy taking care of her.

I went to the Fredericksburg Appleseed April of last year. Was just learning to shoot. Could barely keep rounds on the paper the targets were printed on at 25 yards. Bought a Rem 597 and can easily keep 10 out of 10 rounds inside a 1" square now. (Yeah, I know 4 MOA ain't all that great but considering I started learning to shoot just a few months shy of 60 it ain't all that bad, neither.)

I want to go back to an appleseed to try for my badge again. May well try to get wife to go to a Ladyseed. Definately want her to come to the next Appleseed I attend.

`

A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left.
(Ecclesiastes 10:2 New American Standard Bible)

Posts: 1400 | Location: Southeast San Antonio, TX | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote