Notify
Tools

The Joy of RoadKill
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of badgerrr
posted
 -

Think we all put together loads we would like to test on flesh and blood now and again. This is especially true when you are trying to put together a "pelt friendly" coyote or fox load.

I would urge you to not forget the blessing that is roadkill. I find a medium to large Coon carcass to be a wonderful testing medium. Just hang the little dickens in a tree, and pace yourself back a likely distance - and let'er fly.

Posts: 107 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you have a backstop...

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Oh......I don't know.....I like to shoot paper
Let the wildlife live to run free within means

Posts: 15 | Location: Sycamore,Il. USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swen49- the definition of road kill is; an animal on the road, that has been killed. It can no longer run free. shooting these animals is, well, recycling. [Smile]

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Arty......Yup, guess your right. Did not think of it that way!

Posts: 15 | Location: Sycamore,Il. USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Sam>
posted
Can we still cook it when we're done? [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Arty, I swear, you can't make me laugh that hard at work, I could get in trouble if the boss caught me having fun, even on my break.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
<SnapDragon>
posted
We were having troubles with a neighborhood dog marking his territory around our house. The owner of the dog gave my father some .22 LR shot shells to use on the dog. My father didn't like the idea of using them so he bought a pellet gun. Not knowing how many pumps to use, he decided to run a science experiment. He came home one day with a road kill cat in the trunk of the car. I can vividly remember him shooting that cat using different numbers of pumps until he found out how many would not let the pellet penetrate the skin. We used that gun with the appropriate number of pumps to educate the dog to stay out of our yard. That was my first exposure to load testing and development. I don't remember what he did with the cat when he finished.

one of us
posted Hide Post
a cats usfull life is twenty seconds. they are useless before the crosshairs land on them, and they are most certainly useless after that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HHMMM,
Sam,if you shot it you are expected to eat it no excuses.
SnapDragon; If your dad was as smart as he sounds he likely sold it to a Chinese Restraunt and Sams folks bought it from them in a slightly different form. My turn,ROFL derF

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Sam>
posted
"The cat's in the kettle
at the Peking Moon
and Garfield's on my fork."

If you don't eat it, it's a waste of ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
some things you just don't eat- I kill woodchucks on the neghbors property, but that is controlling a pest, and I won't eat it. same with problem racoons.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Any more,I would'nt touch a racoon with a 10 foot pole.Chucks are good in a crock pot bbq.At least you know what they've been eating,and,a 10% brine solution and "spices"[salt]have'nt been added.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam; I liked your reply.lol derF

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one for a pet like the one in the picture! He was a great pet, then he got fat and mean! [Smile]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I shouldn't admit it, but when I was much younger, I and 2 friends came upon a very bloated horse carcass in the National Forest where we used to go shoot our Colt SAA 45's. The three of us stood back about 15 feet and drew our revolvers and started firing away like old west gunfighters. We weren't far enough back and had to make a hasty retreat! After the horse decomposed, we recovered our bullets.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a coon so close once, I got sprayed by "juices". eeeeeew.

posted Hide Post
Dead Cats!!!
They make the best bear bait ever, put em in a glass jug with the lid on, keep em the sun all winter till they turn to liquid. In the spring pour the liquid around your stand and run! Bears will come for miles. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 20 | Location: Pilot Butte, Sask, Canada | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i expect you would need a strong stomach and nostrils glued together for that concoction

Posts: 176 | Location: the rock | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of marky123
posted Hide Post
how the hell do you discover that?

Posts: 11 | Location: uk | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was hunting bear in Canada a few years ago, the guide showed us his "secret" bait. he hung a beaver in an old refrigerator that had not worked in some time. He said when the beaver fell off, it was just right for bait.