New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cowboy action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody shoot cowboy action? New Vaquero or Uberti Cimmeron?

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Old vaquero pistols, marlin 1894 and winchester 97(smokeless) or uberti 1866 and chineese mule ear double 12ga. (black)

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just traded an 1100 .410 for a new Vaquero in .357( gave me a couple hundred to boot). Now looking for a lever gun in same caliber. What do you think of the Rossi?

one of us
posted Hide Post
What class do you want to shoot? I ask this because the 1892 Winchester is not a 'legal' rifle for about 1/2 the classes. A Rossi is a pretty decent 92 copy and after tuning will be fast enough to cycle for all but the very quickest shooters. I went the other way and bought a Turnbull 1892 deluxe takedown in 44-40 for my 92. Now its not legal for Frontier cartridge, Pale Rider or Classic Cowboy (rifles have to be an older design than 1875). But, its fun for duelist, 49er or B Western.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buckeye, That is one sweet looking lever gun. I don't shoot cowboy action, but there is a group just west of here that does. I have a 50's vintage Marlin M-39A and would like something comparable in quality in .357. Thanks, Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gonna be hard to beat a 50's vintage 39. They are about as good as it gets! Take a look at a Marlin Cowboy 1894 in 38/357. The also made a tuned CBC model in 38 special only.
I think they will be smoother than a 92. For the smoothest a uberti 1866 or 1873 will win hands down. They do make them in 357/38.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of New Vaquero's in 45LC. Only because they don't make them in 44-40.

cowboy guns in 38/357 are for the guys that are seriously into competing rather than authenticity. The light loads tehy use barely ring the steel plates when hit.

I'm in it for FUN, I don't care if I win or am at the bottom of the pack, but I do enjoy shooting those big bore revolvers!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
I have a pair of New Vaquero's in 45LC. Only because they don't make them in 44-40.

cowboy guns in 38/357 are for the guys that are seriously into competing rather than authenticity. The light loads tehy use barely ring the steel plates when hit.

I'm in it for FUN, I don't care if I win or am at the bottom of the pack, but I do enjoy shooting those big bore revolvers!

Same reason I shoot it, or arther shot it. I looked at it as fun practical practice where I got to wear cowboy duds.

I used a pair of Ruger 44 mags and a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. Due to feeding issues the rifle was loaded with 240 roundnoses at about 1200 fps and the revolvers were loaded with 225's at about 950 fps. Both roughly equivilent to .44-40 loads without the hassle. It was big fun.

Been thinking of getting a Rossi, just not sure if I want a .45 Colt or .357.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote