THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Savage Model 12BVSS-- 308 Win throat dimensions?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 12BVSS-- 308 Win throat dimensions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone shooten one and know the throat dia and length? Called the factory and no one's returned a call yet. I doubt they know.

Thanks,
A.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those critters. If I know Savage, the rifle will be chambered with an SAAMI standard chamber. That means that they start with a maximum dimension reamer and as it gets dull from use, they resharpen it. When the reamer gets to minimum after a few sharpenings, they either regrind or get a new one. Either do a chamber cast on your chamber, because they do vary from max to min, or just look at a standard SAAMI drawing and use an average dimension. Hope that helps. Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have one of those critters. If I know Savage, the rifle will be chambered with an SAAMI standard chamber. That means that they start with a maximum dimension reamer and as it gets dull from use, they resharpen it. When the reamer gets to minimum after a few sharpenings, they either regrind or get a new one. Either do a chamber cast on your chamber, because they do vary from max to min, or just look at a standard SAAMI drawing and use an average dimension. Hope that helps. Geo.

Thanks Geo. Joe DeGrande head of Customer Service got ahold of me today. Nice guy and helpful.

The 308 Win is cut with a 308 Obermeyer spec reamer. 3085 throat dia with .085" of throat length. Neck dia is .344

Methinks that gun would SHOOTEN...

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the guys in a PM asked me how I got interested in the new Savage BVSS. Well-- there's a fella in this neck of the woods that has a 223 Rem which shoots about everything into one hole... a very small hole at that. 223's are twisted one in 9" too, and that accuracy was consistent from the lite wt bullets up thru 70 some grs.