THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the Barnes TSX unbelievable, or what?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just a short post to share how amazing the Barnes TSX are. With the terrific help of "Doc" on this forum, I quickly worked up two new loads with Barnes Triple Shock X bullets; one for my old faithful .270 Win and another for my new .300 RUM. (Remington 700 LSS) Both rifles are factory stock.

Doc made me a believer when I quickly settled on a .300 RUM recipe using the 180 TSX bullet ahead of Reloader 25. That load produces 3-shot groups of just over 1/2 moa, velocity about 3200 FPS.

This weekend I completed work on a .270 load that shoots the Barnes 130 gr TSX in 3-shot groups of .562 inches at 100 yards! (57.0 gr of Reloader 19 to produce a velocity of 3020 fps. )

Barnes TSX are simply amazing!

Thanks again, Doc! - EB

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass

Posts: 49 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 23 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Earlybugle Doc got me interested in trying the triple shocks. I finally got time to load some 150 grain for my Rem 300 Win Mag. The first 2 were touching each other but the 3rd one went out to the side ending up with a group of .700 at 100 yards I had to stop because the powder charge I used with Nosler Blastic Tips and Sierra Match Kings was to hot. The bolt was starting to stick and harder to open than I wanted 76 grains of IMR 4831 and a 150 gr TSX was to hot, but I think I have a winner in bullet choice. The best I could do with 150gr Partition bullets was 4.5 inches at 100 yards if my memory serves me.

My buddy is bitching that I won't use the Match Kings Deer hunting anymore, but the good people on this forum convinced me they were not reliable for Deer.

I will be glad when it cools down so I can get into some more load development.

Good luck with your reloading/hunting.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
You are absolutely right about the TSX's. Just looked in the bin above my bench and counted the empty TSX boxes - 15 in 8 different calibers for 17 different guns I load for.

About a year ago I used to load other bullets. There are still 24 partial boxes of other types of bullets on the shelf and the only type that gets used are the 200 grain Accubonds because they match the ballistics of the scope on my 30-06. The 200 grain TSX keyholes out of that barrel but the Accubonds don't.

There are 11 partial and full boxes of TSX's up there that will be used shortly.

Guess you could say I'm a believer. There should be a lot of field reports this year from performance on game since a lot of reloaders are starting to use them.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Earlybugle

I have the same load for my .270 after posting a thread on this forum. I could not get the 140 grainers to shoot, infact they even seemed to keyhole a little, but not wanting to throw in the towel I bought the only box of 130 my gun store had and seeing a load listed on ther forum for Rel #19 of 57 grasins I gave it a go.

With the bullet seated with a full 2 grooves out of the case neck and a half way down the land to the 3rd groove, my first 3 shot group was 5/8", the best this rifle had ever shot.

Velocity was 3078 fps average for 3 shots.

I still haven't tried it on game yet but look forward to doing so. I do not see any need to try and get the velocity any higher and have quit load development at this point, absolutely no pressure signs.

As and when you get chance to try it in anger please send me a PM as to how it performed expansion wise

JT

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
Jonathan,

If you want to try the 140s again, here's a sub half inch load for me.

.270 Win
140gr TSX
55gr H4831SC
WLR primer
Rem case
COL 3.375 (that's .05 off the lands for my rifle)

I don't have a chrono, so I can't give you the velocity for it. I'm currently trying to work up a hotter load, but so far in my load development, that one has really impressed me.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SS

Thanks for the info, I might try that load.

I use W-W cases which if anything are a little lighter in weight than R-P.

Also the 140 will give a shorter O.A.L than will the 130's due to the longer ogive of the 130's.

I did try a load with IMR 4831 but found the given load a little hot for my rifle, I will go back to try some 140's, H 4831 has been a favourite powder in .27 for me and has previously given me good results.

I am interested to hear how you find these bullets perform in deer sized game

JT

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a load for .270Win it printed 16mm. 3 shots at 200meters

Gun: Sako 75 stainless rebarreled with a S&L barrel

Load:
TSX 140 molycoated
Col 85.55mm (that is max lenght for my mag.)
54grains of Norma MRP
CCI BR2
Norma cases with a .001" setback/headspace

Chronographed to apprx 2650fps

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know. Deer season doesn't open up for another month and a half where I hunt though. I'm really getting the itch hearing everybody else on here talking about their hunts.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote