THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Season: 30/30 Youth Load, NO Blue Dot!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yeah yeah yeah, I can hear it all now. I do use other powders if the results fit, or do better.

Set up a 30/30 for a Youth Load. It is a Marlin Stainless 336, in 30/30. I put on a no longer made B & L 1.5 x 4.5 3000 Elite series scope.

I tested an entire batch of combo's but the winner hands down had to be: 19 grains of SR 4759 with a Hornady 150 grain Round Nose Bullet. MV was a little over 1800 fps.

Group size compared to a good bolt action group. Recoil was substantially less than factory loads. It is plenty for 150 yds.

I also tested the same combo in a Winchester Legacy 94 with a 24 inch barrel. Accuracy was once again the same.

Blue Dot did fairly well with this bullet, but the SR 4759 ran circles around it.

The 1.5 x 4.5 scope also is perfectly matched for this type of rifle and its range potential. Some guys don't like scopes on 30/30s, but they have better eye sight than I do. A small low profile red dot would also be sort of slick on the 30/30.

If anyone uses this, good luck with it in the field.

Cheers and Good shooting

seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a load I got from one of my manuals using 4831 its
o.k. but ill give that one a try thanks

Posts: 102 | Location: southeast b.c. | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only other powder I would suggest is accurate arms XMP-5744. It is also very flexible and accurate. It is the only other powder I use in reduced loads; with IMR- SR4759 being my long time favorite from 222's to 458 Win. Mags. I have a load with 168 grain match bullets in a Krieger 30 calber 10 twist rifle that Sr-4759 will group scary little holes with if there is no wind; and with almost no recoil. It will almost group as well as my 6mm PPc's in no wind. Paint balls on golf tees at 100 yards have no chance.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HOT Core,

thanks for the range report. my 223 load with Blue Dot was settled on 14.5 grains with a 46 grain Winchester HP. MV is about 3150, if I remember.

That should put pressures up to normal ranges. My low pressure load in a 223 is usually H380, 28 grains. It is pretty accuate also. What I love about it, is that the 28 grains with a 40 to 60 grain bullet gives almost the same MV. I like that versatility if you shoot a lot of bullet weights in one rifle.

Hope Big Al liked the blue dot loads in his H & R.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"" Any boy over about 95lbs ought to be able to handle a 30-30 expertly, especially with 150gr bullets. ""

Saterday a friend of mine brought me over about 10lbs. of Alasksn halibut. He is a gun nut and while here he was telling me how his Mod.94 30/30 is just kicking the shit out of him with 150 gr. factory loads; far worse than his light 30/06. He's about 6'2" and a lean 200 lbs.He's not the first BECoole. A mod.94 in 44 mag. did the same to me. But than I'm a real 250 lb. pussy. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How youthful is the youth? Any boy over about 95lbs ought to be able to handle a 30-30 expertly, especially with 150gr bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it is for anyone who does not care for recoil. Recoil is reduced about 50% over regular 30/30 loads and it also tightened up the grouping of the rifle quite a bit.

To each their own. It is just posted for those that might be interested. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... my 223 load with Blue Dot was settled on 14.5 grains with a 46 grain Winchester HP. ...Hope Big Al liked the blue dot loads in his H & R...

Hey Seafire, I was watching his RR "try to cycle" with the 11.5gr Loads and it would push the Bolt back just a bit and then rechamber the spent cartridge. Not tossing the Case out is of Primary Interest to us.

Do you think the 14.5gr Load would cycle the action?

---

Oh yes indeed, BIG Al was very happy with the 147gr FN-FAL bullets coupled with the Blue Dot. He especially likes the same Point-of-Impact with the 150gr factory Ammo, as we all would.

By the way, his H&R came with an excellent Recoil Pad from the factory. Even the Factory Ammo he shot was just fine. BIG Al has a Pacemaker on his left side and he shoots right handed. But, he was still concerned about the recoil "until" he got a couple of shots through the barrel.

He had given up Hunting when the Pacemaker went in, but he is beginning to think about it again. He doesn't have enough breath to drag a 100# Doe 5yds, but that is no problem if I'm around. Heck, I could drag BIG Al and the Doe out if need be.

REALLY NICE to see the "Spark" back in his eye at the Range. Your posts were instrumental in getting his shooting interest back. Sure do appreciate it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Seafire, FINALLY got to go to the Range two days ago with my buddy BIG Al. He is the one that has been extremely interested in your Blue Dot Reduced Loads< !--color--> for his H&R/NEF 30-30 and some kind of a semi-auto Russian 223Rem (I can't pronounce the name let alone spell it).

1. Range was completely packed (50 benches) when we got there at 10AM on a Thursday. Finally spotted a guy packing up so we swooped down on his bench at about 10:15AM.
2. Sporadic Full-Auto fire to our left didn't help concentration.
3. We had to share the same Bench, so everything took twice as long.
4. First shots with his 30-30 and 147gr FN FMJs and 13gr Blue Dot< !--color--> were way off to the Far Right. Kept adjusting the scope and couldn't get it to move the Point-of-Impact back to the Left. (We are both HARD CORE Republicans, but didn't think it should be holding the groups quite that far Right!)

BIG Al went to remove the scope so we could use the Irons and noticed the Rear Ring was "loose" on the Base. We went ahead and shot the Irons which shot just fine and then put the scope back on.

Now the adjustments tracked properly for him and the Blue Dot Reduced Loads< !--color--> shot great.

Two things I noted:

A. The Point-of-Impact with the 147gr Blue Dot Reduced Loads< !--color--> just happened to be the same as the 150gr Winchester factory ammo he had with him. I mean overlapping holes, not just close by.

B. The 147grFN FMJs and 13gr of Blue Dot< !--color--> actually had 0.0018" more PRE than the factory ammo. We plan to back it down to 11&12gr and re-shoot.

---

Next up was the 45gr PSP Rem and 11.5gr of Blue Dot< !--color--> in his RR(Russian Rifle) which shot just fine and did not cycle the action. Not cycling the action is exactly what we were hoping for since these are "Fully Prepped" Cases. He was plinking around at everything and quite happy with them.

I only got to shoot 5 of them in my 223Rem because BIG Al had a severe Hunger Attack come over him and was whinning about being "HOOOOONGRY"!!! Plus the wind was now blowing the Targets all over the place, so it was time to pack it in. I have additional Loads up through 12.5gr of Blue Dot< !--color--> with that 45gr PSP Rem to test out, but didn't get it done.

Concerning the 11.5gr Load, the PRE was a bit erratic and varied from 0.0022"-0.0013" below what I've determined to be a SAFE MAX "in my rifle". Raising the Pressure slightly with an increase of Powder will hopefully settle the Pressure down a bit.

---

Also got to shoot the 444Mar with some 240gr XTPs and some "2400".

28gr had erratic Pressure, but 30gr seemed to settle down and the PRE was 0.0020"-0.0016" below what I've determined to be a SAFE MAX "in my rifle".

Also got to shoot some 240gr Lead Gas Checked bullets with the "2400" with those same Loads and the PRE was even lower. Probably need to increase it a few more grains, which might make it burn a bit cleaner too. As usual, the "2400" burned "dirty".

---

Nearly forgot, BIG Al's compact 45ACP Llama jammed with anything we put in it. He bought it "Used" and it appears to be a defective magazine. But, he plans to let the Llama folks figure it out. Nice pistol otherwise.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote