Find
Notify
Tools

.300 WSM vs .300 Win Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Preferences ??? Best loads for Elk ???

Warning: Trespassers will be shot.......survivors will be shot again...........

Posts: 92 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bite! MY opinion (and we know what opinions are worth) is that the 300 win mag has more case capacity and should get a tad more velocity. However that tough thick 300 wsm case seems to be getting loaded with higher pressure loads and getting away with it so the vel often is a match. On the downside 300 wsm brass can be a bit tougher to reload for as that tough case does some strange things after being resized a few times.
It's all a matter of how much you like the shorter action. (And there have been a few feeding complaints on the wsm).
Really...ballistically they are virtual twins and they shine with 165/180 class bullets.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even tho we are reloaders, we must never forget: If I lose my luggage or run out of ammo, can I buy factory rounds in Juneau or Jo'berg? So....it's the .300 Win Mag without doubt.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
Picture of DrWatson69
posted Hide Post
Like I said in your other post. 300WinMag. I have a 300Rem SAUM in the LTR That I love to hunt with because it only has a 20in barrel. But I will never get rid of my 300WinMag. Try 180gr or 200gr nosler Accubonds with RL22.

Posts: 66 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mailman,
I've owned and shot both. Never hunted with them, so can't suggest a load for elk. I really did not want to like the short mag, but bought it because it was M70 supergrade at a great price.
After shooting both out to 300 yards, I couldn't see any difference in trajectory or average accuracy. I doubt an elk would either.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your comments and opinions keep em coming. Too much info is never enough........

Warning: Trespassers will be shot.......survivors will be shot again...........

Posts: 92 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I have a 300 Win Mag that likes 180 grain Accubonds on top of 77.5 grains of H4831SC for a velocity over my Chronograph of 3050 FPS with a 26" barrel. Very accurate load but stout, work up to it. A decent amount of recoil also.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's never been an elk that could outlive a well-placed shot from a .30-06, so let's make it a given that either of the .300 Magnums in question are the same thing to the elk.

With the stubby one you get an action that is 3/4 inch shorter and a gun that is six ounces lighter (all things being equal). For this, you pay the price of losing one round of magazine capacity and chancing a frozen bolt when shooting some factory loads.

With the longer one, you pay the price of a little more weight and length in the gun. In return you get one more round of magazine capacity and achieve a little more velocity with a little less pressure.

Pick whichever you like. (I think I'll take the '06 and get yet another round of magazine capacity!)

(As to the argument about availability of factory loads at far flung locations, who would deign to shoot a factory load under any circumstance? The thought makes shudders run down my spine!)

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
To me its the rifle. I want thru the same thing with 270 win vs 270 wsm. I now have one of each. I like the recoil of the standard but like the short, handy feel and exellent balance of the A-bolt WSM. So I just load down the WSM and shoot the rifle I like best. Shorter rifles come up easier and lend themselfs nicely to quick shots IMO.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Neither.

300 H&H

200 gr Partition

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think we are talking about redheads vs. brunettes - what you like will work. I have shot elk with .280 Rem and .300 Win Mag.

Both kill them very dead. I like the .300 as it seems to hit pretty hard but that is subjective and not an objective observation.

Posts: 10380 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my .02c worth. I have both: Kimber 8400@ Montana in .300WSM, about 71/4lbs wi scope and Win. M70 Classic S/S .300WM @ about 9lbs wi scope. What you get wi Kimber .300WSM is virtually same ballisics as M70 .300WM and light wt.(I got the Kimber for a back pack goat hunt; would also be excellent choice for back pack sheep hunt, & other high mtn critters.) I prefer the .300 WM for general use. Being heavier it has less recoil. Us old guys sometimes get more sensitive as we age. Also, the .300WSM does not GENERALLY do well with bullets heavier than 180 gr. I experimented with 200 gr handloads but could not get them to shoot well in the Kimber. Got small groups wi handloaded 180's. Something about the 200 gr being to long. There is a trend now towards light weight rifles. They have there place for specialized purposes but I think, as a general purpose rifle, most fellas are better off, and will shoot better, with a standard weight rifle. Just my opinion, FWIW.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Realized I overlooked the original question. Best load: I would choose 180=200 gr Barnes TSX in .300WM for elk. Or, same weight range in any of the other premium bullets(Nosler Part., Swift A-Frame, Horn. IB, etc. There are other good bullets, but these are the ones I would opt for and would use whichever worked best in MY rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In .300 Win

180 gr Speer SP, Win case, CCI 250 primer, 73 gr IMR 4831. Gave 2968 average velocity / 10 rounds. High 3006, low 2945.

200 gr Barnes X, Fed case, Fed 215 primer, 69.0 gr IMR 4831. Gave 2926 average velocity / 10 rounds. High 2977, low 2739. Average deviation 50. Temp. 45 F.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I got my first 300WSM I didn't worry about short action vs long action etc just want to try it. The Tikka T-3 will get 2900fps with 180gr bullets my custom will do alot better. I've got a 300Wby and 300RUM also and if it was me I'd get the 300Mag you have a better case capacity for the heavier bullets.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote