Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm 115gr FMJ on Dillon 550
 Login/Join

posted
The projectiles will be either Remington or Winchester that can be obtained for a reasonable price. Cases will be Once-Fire Win so next selection is powder. Some shooters have suggested using Clays but when I visited Hodgden’s site and looked at some of their suggested loads I had a few questions.

The powder charge for Clays is in the range of 3.7 to 3.9 grain while HS-6 charges range 6.7 to 7.0 grain. The pressure for Clays range 30,900-32,600 CUP while HS-6 pressures are 26,700-29,400. I see benefits for using HS-6 because its larger charge weight is easier to reproduce, it appears to be more forgiving and its larger volume more easily identifies double charges.

Here’s what Hodgden says about HS-6: “HS-6 is a fine spherical propellant that has wide application in pistol and shotshell. In pistol, 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W and 10mm Auto are some of the cartridges where HS-6 provides top performance.â€

Let me ask Dillon 550 users how these powders function. Does anyone load HS-6 and if so what can you share with me. I’m interested in how well the charging system works and if the indexing tends to shake some powder out of the case.

I am also familiar with Alliant powders as I load Red Dot in Win AA shotshells. When I look at their loading data for the previously mentioned 115gr load, Red Dot charge is 4.5gr while Herco or Power Pistol charge 6.3 and 6.7 grains respectively.

Mtn.

Posts: 7 | Location: NW Indiana | Registered: 11 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't load or own a Dillon press, so my information is not about that. I do however have experience with 9MM 115 grain FMJ's. I have tried the HS6 powder in 38 Spec. and found it unsuitable unless they were loaded to full power loads as their was unburned powder in the spent cases and in the action of the revolver. It is not a powder I would recommend. I use 4.8 grains of Alliant Bullseye in the 9mm 115 FMJ with great success and I highly recommend this load. I don't see why Bullseye would not work in a progressive press. Also Bullseye is not position sensitive as some propellants are. It is a great powder.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks LD

Posts: 7 | Location: NW Indiana | Registered: 11 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Luckyducker. I have had good success with Bullseye in the 9mm with 115 fmj. If you are looking for plinking rounds, check out the Rainier plated bullets.

NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Both Clays & HS6 meter fine through the Dillon measure, I prefer HS6. If you are spilling powder on indexing you are doing something wrong. Smooth is better than fast & you can still get 350rds/hr.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote