Find
Notify
Tools

Best progressive press?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
I'm thinking about buying a progressive press to load handgun ammo.

I suspect I might want to load soem rifle ammo on it, as well, but I'd be happy with one that only does handguns.

Currently, I have a Rockchucker, and it is, of course, excellnet.

The only problem is that it takes forever to do my .45 ACP ammo.

I'm not intersted in an 'introductory' press, I would prefer to buy the best, which allow me to make handgun ammo quickly and precisely.

What do you reccomend?

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
My Brother and I have both been using the Dillon RL 550B for years. Especially for handguns it is VERY good.

You can also do bottleneck rifle on it, but I still use my RockChucker for them. I load rifle in much lower quantities and weigh every powder charge so the slower rate is no problem to me.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'v got the Rockchucker and a 550B setup also. I deprime and size my rifle rounds on the RC and use the AT500 powder funnel and die setup on the Dillon so that I can hand weigh and complete the process on it. You could go with the Dillon Square Deal setup for handgun loads but then you have to use their dies. You can get the 550B from Chad Pengar at http://www.eguns.com/Dillon_Precision/RL550B/rl550b.html just add the dies.
He was offering free shipping when I bought mine but since has lowered the price instead which might work out better for you being in BC the free shipping probably would'nt have applied. I'v found him to be just as knowledgable and helpful as the Dillon folks and much quicker re shipping. The one order of mine that shipped a couple days later than he estimated,he'd added a free toolhead!
Jeff

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
The top three progressive presses are Dillon, Dillon and Dillon. Pick one and go with it. I have a Dillon 300, a two Dillon Square Deals, and one Dillon 650.
This past Wednesday I had the dubious distiction of disabling two of my presses within moments of each other. After many thousands of 45 acp and 45 Colt rounds the shell plate advance broke on the 650. I had stored my hat under the bench. I jerked it up and out, catching the primer catcher of one the Square Deals.
So I called Dillon explained my problem, on Thursday, the parts arrived Saturday.
That's full extent of my problems with Dillon.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both a Dillon and a Hornady progressive. The Dillon is more expensive and has way more tiny parts.
Both are warranted for life but I have never broke a part on my Hornady.

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Dillon 550b

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
STAR

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Dillon, had a hornady progressive,Dillon square deal but have moved up to Dillon 55o.

Posts: 8 | Location: south east Sask | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the Dillon Square Deal B. Yes, you have to use their dies in it but that's the beauty. It doesn't use the big 7\8th-14 size dies so the unit is more compact. The sizing die is carbide...but I spray on a bit of lube anyway. It also has auto advance so all's you need do is feed an empty, set a bullet on the charged case and pull the handle. I've done it thousands of times with no problems at all. Regardless of their sturdyness, the famed "no BS warranty" gives peace of mind.

If a straight walled pistol loading press is needed (nothing bottle-necked like the 357 Sig allowed) then give the SD B a try. Ask Dillon about their free trial period. How can you lose? If it's not everything they say it is, you just send it back.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'm thinking about buying a progressive press to load handgun ammo.

I suspect I might want to load soem rifle ammo on it, as well, but I'd be happy with one that only does handguns.

Currently, I have a Rockchucker, and it is, of course, excellnet.

The only problem is that it takes forever to do my .45 ACP ammo.

I'm not intersted in an 'introductory' press, I would prefer to buy the best, which allow me to make handgun ammo quickly and precisely.

What do you reccomend?

Lock n Load Hornady!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I usea Hornady Pro-Jector that belong to a friend of mine. It is a damn good press. He put a Lee disk powder thrower on it and it will crank out the rounds. Every cycle of the handle drops a finished round off the press!
I believe that the newer model is even nicer and quicker to change.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
I vote for the Dillon 550b. I have a 550 and a Dillon Square Deal, but hardly ever use the SD. Even with the manual advance of the 550, I still load faster with it than the SD cause it is so much smoother in operation. I also have a Rockchucker which I use for case forming, but the Dillon still handles about 90% of my rifle reloading.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW & IMHO,
If you are looking for a first class progressive press I would consider the RCBS 2000. If you want an auto indexing press I would suggest a Dillon 1050(an old one if possible).

Why I prefer the RCBS 2000 to a say a Dillon 550:
1. APS Priming System. Safer. Not ad copy but speaking from experience. Ask the Nosler Tech about the plumes over their 550s. If a tube goes it won't damage anything other than your hearing and your nerves...
2. Cast Iron Construction versus Cast Aluminum. Very well built. You don't need it, however, it just feels right. Very heavy and very well built.
3. 5th station allows for RCBS Lock Out Die. Priceless. Locks the press up if your powder charge is high or low.
4. Uniflow Powder Measure with both Micrometers are mounted to press and not to die plate. Extremely accurate measure.
5. RCBS Customer Service is fully the equal of Dillon and that is saying something. Both are superb.
6. Primer size change out takes 60 seconds.
7. Very neat primer collection ala Forster Co-Ax

I'm a big fan of this press and leave mine setup for .45 ACP ONLY. I suppose the greatest compliment I could pay is that it IS the Rockchucker Equivalent Progressive Press. Here are a few pics:

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of oneills
posted Hide Post
I have a square deal that does a good job if just loading pistol calibers and a XL650 that is a dream to load on. Get a 650 and you'll never own another press.

Posts: 73 | Location: Vic, Australia | Registered: 19 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dillon 550B is what you are looking at in my Avatar. I highly recommend these if you don't need auto indexing and want to save some bucks over the XL650 plus it loads more calibers. Since you have a single stage that I will presume is going to be used for rifles look really seriously at the Square Deal B by Dillon. I will never buy another press unless I decide to add operations best performed on a single stange, but I don't see that happening.

To Sum:
1. SQD B
2. RL 550B ( best over all value)
3. XL650

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more vote for the 550B. I have absolutely no complaints about mine. I load a variety of calibers from 38spc to 45-70 with no probs at all.

good shooting,
Ian

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Plenty of good advice about progressives.Also, put a Lock N Load adapter in your RockChucker.Change dies in two seconds,
life is now... easier.
Torg

Posts: 5 | Location: Northern IN. | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got the Dillon RL1050 (1991 version) and it produces the same quality ammo as the other Dillon's and most other brands. The only real difference is it does everything on the down stroke and includes an internal primer pocket swager. My machine is very limited on rifle calibers, but the new versions handles a greater number of rifle calibers. Be prepared to spend allot more money for each caliber conversion than you would with the regular machines. People that come and see this thing are always surprised to see grease zerks in several places on the machine.

The 1050's are commercial machines and as such are not covered by the same mighty Dillon warranty that most Dillon owners are used to. You get one year of coverage and then your on your own. The machine is rated to produce between one and two million rounds before overhaul.

Posts: 19 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote