Notify
Tools

subsonic 308 loads
 Login/Join

posted
does anyone know any subsonic 308 loads

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 8.5 gr Unique under a Sierra 165 HPBT. Very quiet in Sionics suppressor and accurate out to 200 yards (farthest I've shot it).

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's an 8 page thread on it at quarterbore.net. Unless you shooting suppressed, you won't really gain THAT much in sound reduction and you will certainly lose a lot in accuracy and range. This from the aforementioned thread......

unsuppressed 308 subsonic (5744 load) = about 154dB
unsuppressed 308 supersonic (4064 load) = about 166dB

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks, so pretty much what you guys are saying is that if you dont have a suppresor its not worh messing with

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
unsuppressed 308 subsonic (5744 load) = about 154dB
unsuppressed 308 supersonic (4064 load) = about 166dB

From what I understand about the DB system is that its exponential...that reduction although not huge in numbers is pretty good overall. you would over course gain alot with a suppressor...that should go without saying

one of us
posted Hide Post
BsChoy:

That is true, it would definitely be substantially quieter BUT you are trading that for a rainbow trajectory and USUALLY less accuracy. I'm not saying he shouldn't do it, just that he needs to evaluate his reasons for doing so.....for a fun reloading project, go for it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I disagree on "less accuracy" at sub sonic velocities. You simply need to match the bullet to the twist rate of the barrel. With 10-12" twist barrels the above mentioned load shoots MOA out of rifles that shoot MOA with standard loads. Yes the rainbow trajectory is there past 100 yards but it's no more difficult to range and adjust sights for the subsonic load than it is for a standard load at 500+ yards. If you want "quiet" then a good sub sonic load is worth the time. I not giving you opinion based off someone else's post on some other site. I'm giving you first hand knowledge based on 35+ years shooting and exerimenting with supperessed rifles.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ac_doc:
does anyone know any subsonic 308 loads
Hey ac_doc, I can't help you on Subsonic 308Win Loads, but I do enjoy the cartridge.

Is there a particular reason a Subsonic 22LR would not do what you want?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ac_doc:
thanks, so pretty much what you guys are saying is that if you dont have a suppresor its not worh messing with
Yes, subsonic means slow, not necessarily quiet. If you want to go for quieter Google "The Load" by C.E. Harris

posted Hide Post
I came across this while looking for a reduced .308 Win. load (not sub-sonic) my goal was for pushing a Nosler 125 BT at 1,800ish FPS.
http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/TheLoad.html
I settled on 16gr of Blue Dot for my needs, Unique was another powder I tried with good results.

Posts: 13 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
the only reason i was wanting to load some subsonic was to have something to do. by the way hot core have you ever tried benchmark powder in your 308

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey ac_doc, No, I've not tried Benchmark Powder in my 308Win(s). Have used it in my 223Rem and it powers my current "Who buys the BBQ Load?" in it Big Grin

Lots of great Powders for the 308Win and some are Reduced Loads listed in the various Manuals. I "used to" support the Reduced Blue Loads that are floating around the Board, but I no longer do that.

The nicest thing about a 308Win is the vast array of Powders that work extremely well with it. If a person sticks with the Mid Burning Powders, they get some excellent Loads. But that is not what you were looking for.
-----

I mentioned the SubSonic Remington 22LRs because they are sure fine Squirrel Killers. Have used them on Fox size critters and of course the placement is more critical.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jibjab I would have to disagree somewhat on that report Of 40 percent case capacity. I would also disagree on 30 cal lead bullets needing a gas check. I cast 130 gr bullets for my m1 carbine and 30 30 and they work fine with little or no leading. They are made from straight wheel weights and sized to 309 dia I also use 6.8 grs of AA #5 whish is way less than 40 or even 30% case capacity. I also use regular primers with no modification to the flash hole. I get 1 and a half groups out to 100 yds. Ok I try to tap the loads before firing to get the powder in the base. Ive fired hundreds of rounds with no problems!!

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
For subsonic loads...

and factory supported data! for those that need it to be factory supported...

try Trail Boss... it is designed so that it is impossible to get enough of it into a rifle case to be able to have an overload...

factory instructions are that it can be used to fill the case up to the shoulder, and don't compress it, are the only two factory pointers on it...

it is a very bulky powder... the 06 only holds like 16 grains of it or so..max velocity is like 1200 fps from this powder...

it was designed for cowboy action shooting...

accuracy is pretty fair on what I have tested it in so far...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Something is not quit right here.

We are in the process of developing sub-sonic loads for a silenced rifle, and even those that go over 1100 fps are MUCH quieter in non-suppressed rifles.

In fact, a 22 WMR is louder than them.

We are getting a sound pressure meter soon, and will be able to give you actual figures.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68613 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Something is not quit right here.

We are in the process of developing sub-sonic loads for a silenced rifle, and even those that go over 1100 fps are MUCH quieter in non-suppressed rifles.

In fact, a 22 WMR is louder than them.

We are getting a sound pressure meter soon, and will be able to give you actual figures.

Saeed

If you standing at the gun or behind it what you hear is the sonic crack of the bullet as it goes away from you. If it goes subsonic very quickly then the crack is of short duration, more of a "snap". If the bullets stays sonic for some distance the noise doesn't appear louder it is just longer. It will be interesting to see what you find with the sound pressure meter.

I've always been of the opinion that the sonic crack as heard from the gun or behind it is not any louder than a .22LR except you don't need ear protection, even with service 7.62 NATO ammo. I say this based on considerable testing of suppressors both from the perspective of the "shootor" and the perspective of the "shootee". When off to the front of the gun in a fan of about 150-160 degrees the perspective of what is heard is very different. If you are next to the target it can be very scary. Not because of what you hear, the bullet crack and "thump" on meat, but what you "don't" hear.

From the sides and behind the gun it was really quite easy to locate the gun if sonic ammo was used. The start of the crack (exit of the bullet from suppressor) could be determined and you could hear the direction the bullet was going. Much like following a jet you can hear but can't see, you know where its coming from and the direction its going. Its only quicker with the sonic bullet. Anyways it will be interesting to hear (was that a pun?) what you find.

Larry Gibson