Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph Results Causing Concern
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of alfsauve
posted
I got a Chronograph original for my air guns. Last fall I took it out to measure my new rifle, and while I was at it my .357Mag and .357Max loads. Everything was pretty much as expected. Std Dev in all three was in the 22 to 15fps range.

This week I measured my .45ACP and .40S&W loads and I am somewhat concerned. I am getting Std Dev in the range of 250fps!!!

Is that normal? Do semi-autos round vary that much? My .45ACP load is 230gr lead round nose over 5.5grs of Unique. A pretty standard load. My loading technique can't be that far off since my .357 and .338Fed loads are right on.

To double check my Chrono, I fired my .357Mag and the readings were right on with a SD of 22. So I don't think it was the Chrono.

Any insight as to why the wide deviation for my .40 and .45s?

Alf

Alf

Posts: 97 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 16 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Depends on many factors, but bullet pull is one which with a pistol will throw the numbers all over. Too heavy a crimp sometimes causes a poor hold on the bullet. Primers which may be erratic could do it... just investigate your loads further.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The muzzle blast wave ahead of the subsonic bullets can do strange things to chronograph readings. The chronograph readings are definitely suspect.

Ken O

As it was explained to me many years ago, "I feel sorry for those who think ballistics is an exact science. They just don't understand the problems."

Posts: 55 | Location: Near Luckenbach, Texas | Registered: 09 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too would suspect the muzzle blast as being a factor. Ensure that the Chrono is out away from the pistol by the appropriate distance so as to minimize the blast effect.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alfsauve
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. It makes sense since I was closer to the screens this time than in the past. I'll not panic and try again with the screens further away.

When you're on the range and trying to coordinate with other shooters, sometimes you loose sight of the basics.....like don't get too close to the screens.

At least I didn't hit my screens......yet.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
If it won't behave, see the "Stopped Charging Chrony" thread.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
An SD of 250fps in the 45acp would be almost impossible unless your powder charges vraied by 1gr+. I supsect if your screens were closer than 15ft, you were getting false readings. That is the closest I'll set the screens, I prefer 18-20ft.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KenOehler:
The muzzle blast wave ahead of the subsonic bullets can do strange things to chronograph readings. The chronograph readings are definitely suspect.

Ken O

You just heard it from the horse's mouth.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alfsauve
posted Hide Post
Thanks FRED338. I've pretty much determined I was just too close and didn't realize it. Only the last outing produced such wild results. I'm pretty anal about measuring my powder charges and checking the powder measure every fifty rounds.

RICOCHET: I posted something in that thread. Borrowing a line from the movie "D-Day", there are two types of chronographs, those that have been shot and those that will be shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the instructions of our laboratory screens,

"If the bullet can be subsonic, thou shalt use a blast baffle twixt muzzle and first screen.

An ancient commandment found chiseled on a test tunnel wall."

Distance from muzzle to first screen won't always do it.

As it was explained to me many years ago, "I feel sorry for those who think ballistics is an exact science. They just don't understand the problems."

Posts: 55 | Location: Near Luckenbach, Texas | Registered: 09 October 2006Reply With Quote