New
Find
Notify
Tools

GS Custom Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A heads up on the websites for GSC: We are migrating the websites from a service provider in South Africa to a service provider in the USA and, given the complexity and depth of the South African site, this may take a week or so. GSC is now manufactured in the USA as well and any questions can be directed via the contact pages of either of the websites or by phone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot and hunt with GSC-HV bullets. They are accurate and effective hunting bullets. Gerard puts out a very good product. AIU

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, AIU. It looks like the USA site is running ok now. We are transferring the RSA site as well and that one is still having hassles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerard, have you ever considered adding plastic tips to the GSC-HV line to increase BCs? AIU

one of us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of raising the ire of those who use plastic tips, yes. I messed around with all sorts of materials in the mid 90s and found that they do not work. The small gain in BC was not worth the sacrifice in reliability.
sofa

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard:
At the risk of raising the ire of those who use plastic tips, yes. I messed around with all sorts of materials in the mid 90s and found that they do not work. The small gain in BC was not worth the sacrifice in reliability.
sofa

Good to hear it from the experts!

Walter keep pestering me to add plastic tips to our bullets, and being a very practical and lazy man, I have refused!

May I ask what sacrificed in reliability you are talking about?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Saeed,

Anything that fits in the hole of a hollow point bullet makes for variable terminal performance. Then it would work and expand as it should, and then it will not. Take the tips away and the same bullet becomes reliable and always works in the same manner. One can predict what the bullet will do when it strikes, as speed and distance varies.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gerard,

Sounds very interesting.

But, from all the bullets we have collected from our hunts, it seems not all of them perform as they should.

This might be due to the angel they actually hit the anima.

For instance, I have had some where the petals turn inwards, closing the hole and the bullet becomes like a solid.

Some loose one or more petals - not necessarily a bad thing, as they cause additional damage.

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
If this is happening with 300gr bullets in the 375, try going a bit shorter and a little faster with the bullet. An expanding bullet should not exceed 37mm in length, for general hunting from point blank to 300m. You may find that linear penetration as well as depth of penetration will increase and you will have better reliability.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gerard,

Our bullets measure 1.562"
Yours measure 1.517"
Would that make a difference?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Saeed,

That is our old 300gr HP (smooth shank) bullet and we discontinued it when we started making the 300gr HV with the drive bands. The 300gr HV is also on thin ice and should not be used for close range work. You will find that shortening the 300gr bullet to no more than 1.456" will not hurt the performance out to 300 meters but will noticeably improve close range performance. It will probably come down in weight to 265gr/270gr but that allows more speed and penetration (on paper) remains about the same. In the real world, penetration and reliability will improve.

Try it, make the shift from slow and heavy to faster and lighter, you will like it.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gerard,

I have made some in lower weights - I think several versions, down to about 240 grains.

But, I prefer to use the 300 grain for my hunting, and so far I have had nothing but great performance.

I have modified some by making the HP larger, and deeper. This was done to lessen the penetration to avoid hitting other buffalo in a herd.

These usually exit on broadside shots, but won't on quartering shots.

Us usual precautions are taken at the shot so no animal is behind the one being shot, but, one can never be sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerard, I've used your 300 gr. GSC-HV with complete success and no failures, even at close range. They shoot fast with less PSI and are the most accurate bullet in my 375 Ackley Improved, usually clover-leaf groups at 100 yds.

IMO the 375 H&H Ackley Improved is the ideal Africa gun - it will do everything and with ample power; and should you get separated from you ammo, you can shoot standard 375 H&H in it with little loss in performance. All the outfitters, I've hunted with in Africa have had spare 375 H&H ammo on hand.

This is my favorite load (26" barrel). IMO it is MAX, and should someone decide to try it, they should work-up to it.

300 gr. GSC-HV 85 grs. Re17 - 2920 fps (muzzle).

At this speed, it's hard to imagine a failure, even at close range. Not even with elephant.

AIU