New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 MM WEATHERBY
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD LOAD RECOMMENDTIONS FOR LOADS ON A 7 MM WEATHERBY?I AM JUST GETTING INTO RELOADING AND HAVE LOADED MY FIRST BATCH WITH RL 22 AND 140 GR. NOSLER PARTITIONS.HAS ANYONE TRIED IMR 7828 ON THIS CALIBER?ALSO HOW ABOUT THE C.O.L.,SINCE WEATHERBY HAS SO MUCH FREEBORE.THANKS.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Long Shot>
posted
I use 7828 w/ 175 gr Nosler Partitions or Hornady Spire Points. It gives 2990+ fps and is very accurate. Had nothing but one-shot kills on deer and elk with this load. I use Remington brass and Fed 215M primers. Powder charge is the MAX shown in the Nosler and Hornady books. Rifle is a Wby Mk V with a 26 inch barrel. I seat the bullets so that they function reliably thru the magazine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LONG SHOT,DID YOU EVER LOAD ANY FOR THE 140 GR. PARTITIONS?IF SO,WHAT KIND OF RECIPE DID BEST WITH THEM?

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In regard to your 7mm Weatherby loads, you are on the right track using RL 22 with the 140 Partitions. H 4831 might also work well or even something as fast as IMR 4831 could just do the trick.

I would not bother with IMR 7828 with bullets this light. It is my powder of choice in this caliber, but I shoot 160 grain Partitions. Actually, my rifle shoots the 160's just about the same with either RL 22 or IMR 7828. (Which is to say, real good!)

As for over all seating depth, since the Weatherby rifles are freebored, I just seat the bullets as far out as I can get away with in the magazine.

For that last little bit of accuracy do not be afraid to try different primers. I got a real decent improvement by switching from Federal 215 primers to the newer Federal 215 Match primers.

Good Luck, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote