New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for a Glock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I reload for everything I own except my .357 and 40 S&W Glock Mod. 27. I have read in other places that Glocks can KABOOM due to the type of chamber they cut in the barrel. I wanted to find out experiences from people on this site reloading for a Glock. I don't want to load any barrel burners, just some practice rounds. All loads will start out from virgin or once fired brass shot by me. Is this a real concern or just bad press? Also, how do Glocks like lead instead of jacketed ammo?

Thanks

Dennis

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I have reloaded quite a bit for my Glock 23 and have found that the only thing that is true about reloading for them is that MOST cast bullets lead the barrel like crazy. I guess that it is the polygonal bore that does it. I have never had any "blow outs" on the cases and some have been loaded six or more times.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The vast majority of the guys who post on the reloading forum at www.GlockTalk.com reload specificly for their Glocks.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, like I said, I'm not looking for barrel burners just some practice rounds. For two legged house varmints I use factories only.

Thanks

Dennis

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I reload a G20 in 10mm using 800X and Sierra 190 FPJ bullets for hunting backup while baiting on the bear stand.

The PMC factory load is cheap and good full range time!

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
My G17 has about 5000 handloads through it, no problems. Just stay in the sane range & you should be fine. The .40s&w has a bad rep in the Glock, but I suspect there is more to it than feeding it handloads. bewildered There are those that say no lead bullets either. I have shot several 1000 hard cast lead bullets w/o problems. Clean the bbl. & chamber well every100rds or so. I have switched to jacketed or plated only now, just so I don't have to worry about it.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of the concerns with handloading for the Glock come from shooting soft lead bullets in the polygonal rifling (cold hammer forged tenifer hardened) of the barrels. The lands and grooves are shallow and very smooth compared to cut rifling barrels. What happens is that the bullets tend to strip through the rifling and leading can be bad. Another issue with Glock is that they will not honor the weapon warranty if it has been damaged while shooting handloads. As long as you are shooting hard cast bullets and they are not undersized you will not have any problems. Clean the barrel thoroughly after shooting lead bullets. Bottom line is that the Glock is an extremely well made gun that is very strong. Shoot your handloads through it and enjoy it.

Posts: 27 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I too had problems with lead bullets. If I kept my bore perfectly clean and used coated bullets ( precision bullets ) I could get a few hundred...but once leading started it accelerated repidly!

I have experiementd on a batch of 100 pieces of Rem brass. After 5 reloads I said enough...but I reload light. Now I load to 4 times and chunk it. I've saved enough for 2-3 complete pistols over the cost of factory ammo.

G22, 40S&W, BTW. 5.6 Gr. Vn340 and 180 JHP/FMJ for approx 935-940 fps. Case bulging required calipers to measure (can't see with the naked eye), and that makes it well below factory pressure. The Glock won't take hotrodding like some other designs, but a conservative reloader will do fine!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marangcan:
Another issue with Glock is that they will not honor the weapon warranty if it has been damaged while shooting handloads.

Show me ANY manfacture that recogmends reloads in there weapons, or dosn't state that the warrenty is void if reloads are used.
BTW, guys have had their Glocks repaired under warrenty, even after they told Glock that reloads had been used.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bttt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago we had a case rupture in a glock with a handload. It cracked the plastic grip, blew out the extractor and ejected the magazine. This particular glock apparantly had too much unsupported case head and would leave very pronounced half-moon marks on all cases, handload or factory. My other glock used the same loads without incident.

FWIW

MFH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most Glock problems start with using lead bullets. DON'T RELOAD LEAD BULLETS IN GLOCK PISTOLS!!!!!!! I can't emphasize this enough. Some guys will say you'll be OK blah blah blah, but it isn't. Shoot jacketed bullets and you will almost never have a problem.
I have reloaded tens of thousands of rounds for several different glocks and never had a single problem other than with some soft chinese brass. I don't use lead bullets. Use decent brass along with your jacketed bullets and use reasonable loads and you'll do fine................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote