New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Pro Varmint .223 - loads?
 Login/Join

posted
G'day

Have one of these that I haven't fired yet, thought I might as well ask around here to see if anyone has one...and has some load data I could use to get started?

Hunting application
Looking at using 55gr upwards and I like boat tails.

All load data I will use as a guide only of course Smiler

Thanks in advance tu2

Posts: 5 | Location: Brisbane | Registered: 12 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're going past 55gr bullets, you'll need to know the twist of your rifle. If it's 1/14 or 1/12, you'd be better off sticking to 50-55gr bullets.
A .223 is pretty acommadating when it comes to powder. I prefet H335 because it meters so well through a measure and gives me excellent accuracy. I've talked to others that swore by 4895 and H322.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
If you're going past 55gr bullets, you'll need to know the twist of your rifle. If it's 1/14 or 1/12, you'd be better off sticking to 50-55gr bullets.
A .223 is pretty acommadating when it comes to powder. I prefet H335 because it meters so well through a measure and gives me excellent accuracy. I've talked to others that swore by 4895 and H322.

Indeed sir.
The rifle mentioned is Kimber pro varmint with a 1 in 9" twist.
I thank you for your advice, however I'm really after load data from someone who ones one of these rifles to help narrow down bullet choice more than anything.
I am aware not all models are the same, however in my experience they are often similar and a little advice from another owner can narrow things down very quickly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Josh,

Welcome to AR.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1976 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 223 Montana Kimber .Unfortunately I no longer reload.
But you still have to work out loads for YOUR individual rifle ..There are certain bullet/powder combos that usually do well.
In any case I do have some ideas if your rifle doesn't give the accuracy that it should.Mine was not properly free floating. It's blind magazine was too long.Those have been corrected. It does have an excellent trigger .Now I'll search for a good factory load.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
I have the 223 Montana Kimber .Unfortunately I no longer reload.
But you still have to work out loads for YOUR individual rifle ..There are certain bullet/powder combos that usually do well.
In any case I do have some ideas if your rifle doesn't give the accuracy that it should.Mine was not properly free floating. It's blind magazine was too long.Those have been corrected. It does have an excellent trigger .Now I'll search for a good factory load.

Thank you mate, as previously stated twice I do understand I need to make my own loads.
I am a proficient reloader.

Without being rude, I would really appreciate actual load data from another Kimber Pro varmint owner - thats all I'm after.
If no one can offer it - thats no trouble, I'll start from scratch.

Good luck with finding your factory load mete.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This might help

http://www.accurateshooter.com...ridge-guides/223rem/

Each rifle is different !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this will help being Winchester powder...
My best load was 28 grn of WW748 and a 60 grn nosler solidbase. I sold the rifle and regret it now of course!

posted Hide Post
Thanks theback40 tu2