THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Looking for some advice on 338 Win Mag Loads

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Looking for some advice on 338 Win Mag Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I use IMR4350 with the 225 barns X. Can't think off hand what the powder weight was right now but it was the top load in their manual. Really works well on black bears and would group around 1-1.25"

I like the accuracy I get with rel22 but hate how touchy it is in different weather. However 73gr of rel22 and the hornady 250grRN is a tack driver in my rifle.

I found the 200 gr BTs to perform wel on game but I had to gear them down slower to get good accuracey. anything over 2800fps and groups opened up.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That load is 71.5gr. IMR 4350 in the Nosler book. I use 71gr. IMR 4350, Fed 215M primers, and the 225gr. Barnes TSX bullet. My Ruger 77 Mk II shoots this load at 2855fps. and I get .35-.68" groups when I do my part.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have posted on this superb cartridge before and use the following, my favourite among the many loads I have tried since Jan. 1968 when I began loading for my first .338.

Win. brass- I dislike nickeled brass, too.
CCI 250 Primer
71-77 grs. RE-22, depending on rifle and powder lot
Nosler 250 PT., especially the moly free Gold
MV-2700+ fps, depending on rifle
Accuracy in Dakota 76 is about .6" at 100 yds. with a 4-6x scope

Game drops like a stone when hit forward of the diaphram with this and it is less damaging to edible meat than my small bore rifles. I have 5 superb .338s and really don't know why I ever use anything else.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lawdogso
posted Hide Post
Hi guys. I just got a Browning A bolt 2 and want to start making up some loads for it. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated on what works best. I plan on hog hunting next month and maybe deer next year. I am also looking for dies and brass. Thanks in advance for your help.
Aaron

Posts: 81 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 21 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I think you'll love it!

I've not become an expert but have tried a few different loads in mine. I've yet to shoot a deer with mine ( I will be on a combo Muley / Elk hunt shortly) but tried to come up with a load for the 200gr. BT and have been dissapointed.

My favorite 250gr. Sierra Gameking loaded with IMR 4831 would litterally stack them up! I used IMR 4350 with some Barnes X's that shot better than all the nightmare stories and have just developed a load for 250 gr Woodleigh PP that looks like it'll be hard to beat! It was with RL22, WLRM's, in Rem brass.

I bought a box of 100 nickel plated brass for the .338 and would recommend against it unless your weather exposure or something similar makes you believe it's a must use! I don't think I'll ever buy another case in nickel ever.

The medium powders seem to work very well in this one. The 4831's, 4350's, RL19, are pretty good universally, and then maybe the slower ones. The above load with RL22 was the first time I'd tried the slower powders. I also tried IMR 7828 & Retumbo. The RL22 behind the Woodleighs gives me two touching and a third close by in most cases. I think barrel heating shifts my POI as much as my wiggling. At least thats what I want to believe!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my Rem 700 I use Rem brass, win LRM primer, Hornady 200 gr interlock SP and a medium charge of RL19 for deer. Have killed a few with less meat loss than a '06 or 270. See if it works for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawdogso:
My favorite load for my .338 Mag. is 70.5 grs. of Rldr-22 topped with a 225 gr. Northfork. I seat these at 0.010" off the lands. In my 24" barreled rifle I get 2834 fps on the chrono and 1" groups at 100 yds. Sighted in +3" at 100, the drop is slightly less than 7" at 300. As the others have mentioned, I think you'll like the chambering.
BTW, this last Sep't. one of the guys in our moose hunting party shot a small bull at about 250 yds. with a .338 mag using Federal 210 gr. Partitions. He hit the bull with the 1st shot, the animal turned & it looked as if he were heading into deeper water. The guy shot a 2nd time & the animal went down. When we got to the bull, it looked as if the 2 shots had crossed each other forming an "X".
Upon cleaning, we found the lungs were totally mush, the diaphragm was 1/2 gone & there was no heart left. I've never seen such devastation in my life. Ypu! It'll perform for ya. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is not a max velocity load or an attempt to develop one. It�s basically a factory velocity duplication load. It does give very consistent velocities and good accuracy.

Cartridge: .338 Win Mag
Firearm: Ruger M77 MkII
Barrel: 24"
Bullet: Nosler Partition
Bullet Weight: 250 grs
Powder: IMR-4831
Powder Weight: 69.0 grs
Case Make: W-W
Primer: WLR (not magnum primer)
C.O.L.: 3.30

Chronograph summary for 10 shot string
Average Velocity: 2,651 fps
High Velocity: 2,664 fps
Low Velocity: 2,633 fps
Extreme Spread: 31
Standard Deviation: 8

Also, be sure to check these threads:

Loads for a .338 Win. Mag?
and
Got any 338 WM loads?

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lawdogso
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I can't wait to get started on this.
Aaron

Posts: 81 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 21 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron:
I have two 338WM, one Sako and a custom mountain rifle I had built.Both rifles were a bit finicky till I tried H4350.
Three shot groups of less than 1/2" are the norm for both rifles.
Rem. Brass
Fed.215 primers
Nosler 250GR. Partion
68.5 to 69.0 grains of H4350
.015 off the lands
2660 FPS in the Sako
2650 FPS in the custom rifle with a 22" Magna-Ported barrel.

Paul K.

Posts: 757 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used 250 grain bullets, but my standby load is:

225 gr Hornady SP
75 gr H4831

Shoot like a dream and really hammers elk, deer, and a bunch of other stuff.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote