New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those who use the Ladder method.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey folks today I shot a ladder with the second rifle I need a load for. Rifle is a Remington 700 BDL in a Boyd s laminate stock toped with a Nikon 6-18 Buckmaster's scope.

The load used is Remington brass, Remington large rifle primers, Combined Technologies 168 grain Silver Tip BT's and IMR 4064 powder.

8 rounds starting at 47 grains and going up in 1/2 grain increments to 50.5 grains.

Range of 300 yards, one fouling shot. Lots of time was taken to insure a cool barrel between shots.

The total group was 3 inches wide and 13 inches tall.

Load 47 was the lowest and farthest left. Load 47.5 was up 4 3/4 inch and farthest to the right.

The next 4 loads 48-49.5 grouped in a cluster of 1 1/2 inch landing 4 inches above the 47.5 grain load and centered between it and the 47 grain load.

49.5 grains did show the primer starting to flatten slightly.

50 and 50.5 grain loads landed 3 1/2 inches above the last fours group and within an inch of each other. Both primers were slightly flattened like the one from the 49.5 grain load.

I hope this gives a good picture of what I have in front of me.

This all said I believe I should work on loads 48, 48.5, and 49 to see if one of them shoots best. I have always stopped once primers start getting flat as I have no need to push any limits.

Is this the way you guys using the ladder to develop loads do it? Any suggestions that might help me?

I am looking for replies from those who use the ladder method not those who do not. I believe this system works and does save ammo.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Nelson:
Range of 300 yards, ...loads 48-49.5 grouped in a cluster of 1 1/2 inch ...

I believe I should work on loads 48, 48.5, and 49 to see if one of them shoots best. I have always stopped once primers start getting flat as I have no need to push any limits.

Is this the way you guys using the ladder to develop loads do it? Any suggestions that might help me?....
Hey Don, You are doing just fine. I agree those are the ones to focus on. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hot Core. I have always found my load that shoots best then used the chrony just so I knew drop. Never used one to work up a load like some people do. Just stop adding powder when the primers flatten or I reach the max the books say are safe.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. By the way, you are doing some fine shooting.

Once you settle on a Final Load, you can "try" Fine Tuning by varying the Seating Depth a bit. Sometimes it tightens thing up a bit and sometimes it is a waste of time. But it all counts as Trigger Time.

If when you do look at the Velocity, if you are not real thrilled with it, you might consider a slightly Slower Powder like H-414 or H-4350. That is not to imply that anything is wrong with IMR-4064, one of my old buddies uses it in his 30-06 for a lot of Bullet Weights.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again Hot Core. I am not a velocity nut. Some times I have a speed I think I should achieve but on a whole and with today's BDC reticules I don't worry about it much.

For most of my rigs if I can shoot a tight group at 100 yards and then hit a 6 inch gong at 300 yards without adjusting the scope I am happy.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite