Find
Notify
Tools

Rack Queen not Range Queen
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
.300 Weatherby German vintage unknown, but J.P. Sauer & Son markings under 24"barrel. Tube cleans up very nicely after aonly a few wet patches. "Custom" on floor plate with light engraving, checkered bolt handle & nice wood in good to great condition. Leupold 4.5 X 14 VX w/AO. Trigger breaks clean at 2 1/4 LBS,

However, it only hits the barn from the inside!

Tried a ladder load of IMR 7828 and Nosler Accubond 200 grain bullets using Nosler #4 manual and was consistantly 30 ft/sec's off their data for charge. Velocities started in the 2700's and just broke 3,000 for book max. Cartridges were loaded .015 over book length to clear action if ejected loaded. Used once fired Weatherby brass and new R-P brass, Federal 215's and match prepped the cases and spun for concentricity. I must of tried too hard. Frowner

The guy Bro-in-law brought the rifle from claims 80.5 of R22 and a 180 BT is good for 1/2 MOA and 3,100 ft/secs. In Wea brass it did 2809 ft/secs, and in R-P brass 2920 ft/secs??????? Confused Either way accuracy was about 3 MOA or worse.

Please suggest a different powder. Thinking of trying the R22 with the 200's and IMR 4831 with the 180's. It aught to do better. You think?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you might want to check the scope,scope base and ring screws and beddig would be the first places that I would start looking.
It may not be the gun. If you have alredy been there done that the only other thing I can think of is twist rate?
Good luck with it

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had one of those in 300. I wanted to free float the barrel so I wrote Weatherby about it. It took so long to get an answer that I went ahead and bedded the action and floated the barrel. When I got the answer, they did not recommend doing it.
Anyway, I used surplus 4831 and the 150 gr Hornady. (Don't try with the newer powders! Please go by the book.) I worked from the lowest charge to 88 gr's and not one single load shot over 1/2" at 100 yd's. I settled on 88 gr's and could blow up water filled anti-freeze cans with one shot each to 500 yd's. I shot a woodchuck in the head from a sitting position at 550 yd's.
My estimate (No chronograph back then.) was 3500 fps.
By the way, this was the 26" "B" (heavier.)barrel.
I would also check that scope and mounts. That rifle should shoot!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen thank you or your responses.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote