New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this possible?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I use the flat-point, hollow-point 170-grain Hornady bullet you'd use in a 30-30 as my fouler rounds in my 300WSM target gun. My shootin' buddy says they come apart because of the high velocity and high rpm at which they are rotating before they hit the target which is why, he says, I never see any dust downrange after a shot. I am having a hard time believing these bullets will disintegrate at 3000-some fps while still in flight. What do y'all think?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No matter what any of us might guess, it would be better if you shot it at a target, maybe 50 yards, and see what hits the paper. ??

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot them in a 30-06 before with no problems.Thay are hell on pds.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesPossible? WinkYes! Is it happening to you? Who knows, but I,ve had bullets comet tail at 15 ft. and gray dust at 20 yds.The most memorable was a fast twist 6.5 X .284. No 140grain bullet I used back than held together. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim C. says
quote:
No matter what any of us might guess, it would be better if you shot it at a target, maybe 50 yards, and see what hits the paper. ??

I shot 'em all away. Ain't no more and ain't gonna buy any more. I did shoot one at a steel target about 50 yards away and it produced five splats, but I think it hit the ground first and came apart in that impact. I was just asking if a disintegration was possible. The damned things don't feed worth a damn, so they are history in my gun...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
bartsche wrote:
quote:
The most memorable was a fast twist 6.5 X .284. No 140grain bullet I used back than held together

-----

I'd like to hear more about this. Considering that most 6.5 barrels are "fast "twisted" to begin with, exactly what rate of twist did you have? I've sent tons of 6.5s downrange from a variety of guns and a variety of twists and never experienced anything like that.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
I was just asking if a disintegration was possible.

Its certainly possible.I forget the exact numbers,but a friend of mine was loading up a 220 swift with ,I think hornandy sx bullets that had a slip of paper in the box that said to only load to a certain velocity,which he was exceeding by a substantial amount.The bullets would just disappear every third of fourth shot,when being fired at a target .

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...shoot one at a steel target about 50 yards away and it produced five splats, but I think it hit the ground first and came apart in that impact. ...
Did you learn that "Bank Shot" from Tomek? rotflmo

Hey Homebrewer, I've not seen them come apart at 308Win velocities, but the ones I saw in use were the 150gr 30-30 FP and RN versions not the 170gr-ers.
-----

I like to use inexpensive(realllly cheap) Bullets for Fire Forming, but I'm not interested in Fouling a Bore. However, I had a buddy give me nearly 1000 FN-FAL 150gr FMJs(actually about 148gr) that he got from Wideners(if I spelled it correct this time). They have proven to be very consistent and have fairly good accuracy for FMJs. We even loaded some for him to Practice with in his Single Shot 30-30 and they did fine there as well.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes. Not likely but still, YES.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Hot Core wrote:
quote:
However, I had a buddy give me nearly 1000 FN-FAL 150gr FMJs(actually about 148gr)

Oh, good...now you can go out and kill "many thousands" of deer again... Roll Eyes

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I had it happen with 110-grainers and .300 H&H (Rem 721). Absolutely no mark on paper at 100 yards so I tried at 25 yards and got split results. In other words, the bullet was hitting at BOTH 5 inches high and 5 inches low.

I was just fireforming new brass so didn't care about accuracy, just curious if my rifle would shoot the smaller weight bullet.

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
bartsche wrote:
quote:
The most memorable was a fast twist 6.5 X .284. No 140grain bullet I used back than held together

-----

I'd like to hear more about this. Considering that most 6.5 barrels are "fast "twisted" to begin with, exactly what rate of twist did you have? I've sent tons of 6.5s downrange from a variety of guns and a variety of twists and never experienced anything like that.

popcornThe rifle was a BEAUTIFUL 6.5 Arasaka witha 30" barrel. It was a rarity made, as I understand, in Korea with a rather high content of Chromium. I Know not what the real twist was but it was fast or even gain twist. The rifling was sharp and the barrel would not take a bluing. PO Ackely rechambered it to 6.5 X .284 but when a fired case was measured it was the same expanded neck dia. as the plane jane .284 ( wrong reamer). Frowner
It was,however fairly accurate and with 156 grain Barnes' originals, Hornady's or Norma's 160 grainers and a lot of H-4831 it was a fantastic mule deer devastator. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, good...now you can go out and kill "many thousands" of deer again... Roll Eyes
Apparently bobby is a bit ignorant about most USA " Rules & Regs " requiring an Expanding(non-FMJ) bullet for Hunting Big Game. Pitiful!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Who is IGNORANT about game laws? It certainly is not me.

Or maybe you are not ignorant about the laws but choose to BREAK them anyway...as per your comment below:

HotSnot wrote: "The smallest things I've Hunted with a rifle were Chipmunk with a 22Rimfire from the hood of a Jeep while slowly easing down a creek."

No, I am not ignorant of ANY game laws and adhere to all of them, but since YOU openly admit to shooting animals from the hood of a moving vehicle, what would stop you from breaking the law again?

THAT is what is pitiful... Roll Eyes

Now about those "many thousands" of deer you have claim to have killed: You STILL haven't produced a picture or shred of evidence of this feat. How about it HotSnot? Everyone in the other thread is patiently waiting for the proof you claim to have.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Your stupidity is showing now. Back when that was done, it was not against the law where we were doing it.

Try as you might, you get dumber with each post. Amazing! rotflmo

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Once again, when you have nothing legitimate to add to the discussion, you revert back to name-calling as your lone diversionary tactic, though you remained a little more civil this time.

Now, about those "many thousands" of deer...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once again an interesting thread is being turned into a pissing contest. Why don't you two start your own little hate thread?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
stillbeeman-

You are right -- no doubt about that. I probably wouldn't have even commented on this thread had my name not been drug into it with another cheap shot by Hot Core.

I used to just let them slide but finally had my fill of the schoolyard bully with the third-grade mentality and thus began to respond to these ignorant comments.

But, again, you are right: It has no place here. It's just too bad everyone can't behave in a civilized manner.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Being of somewhat sound mind and a load of experiences both good and bad from my mis-spent youth, let me relate two somewhat related stories here. Many years ago I had a 'hot' rifle, a 22/250 before this was a standardized caliber and I did love to push it as hard as possible. I loaded some ammo up and when we fired it had about 6" of new snow on the ground. About every three shots or so, the bullet would leave a 'smear' on the snow, seemingly disintegrating completely some 40 feet or so from the muzzle. I thought this a good reason to cut back a bit on the load velocity.
The other instance I could cite was firing a 303 SMLE with some old military ammo loaded with cordite. The ammo fired but did not seem to be quite up to par. Close exam showed what looked like little black straws lying on the snow. We decided that the cold weather was keeping the cordite from completely burning as normal - don't know if this was the actual cause or not but it was there.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes it is. Bullets designed for 2200f/s can easily come apart when driven 30% faster than design parameters allow for. Like others have mentioned, I've seen this when using Hornady's SX bullet in my 22-250 and 220 Swift. The little card that came with the bullets recommended (IIRC)3600f/s as a maximum and in my experience the engineer's figures were correct. I've also seen this happen with fast twist AR type rifles, and on occasion with 45 grain pills in my varmint rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once again, when you have nothing legitimate to add to the discussion, you revert back to name-calling as your lone diversionary tactic, ...
quote:
... the schoolyard bully with the third-grade mentality and thus began to respond to these ignorant comments.
quote:
It has no place here. It's just too bad everyone can't behave in a civilized manner.
Bipolar problemo???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a box of those .222 "SX" bullets by mistake and they will definitely come apart at 22-250 speed.
ROFLMAO, I loaded a bunch and went to the range and at first, I thought I'd knocked my scope way off since I wasn't hitting anywhere on the target.