New
Find
Notify
Tools

seating die problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got an RCBS die set that has an aggravating problem: on any compressed load, the seater plug grabs the bullet at the ogive like a colett bullet puller and won't let it go. I'm talking about loads that are two full grains from max! I have to unscrew the die and stick a screwdriver in the die to loosen it.

Anybody ever had this problem? What's the solution? (Please don't say don't load compressed loads; in this caliber, you don't have much choice.)

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think RCBS will provide you with a seater that matches your bullets if you send them a few sample bullets.

quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
I've got an RCBS die set that has an aggravating problem: on any compressed load, the seater plug grabs the bullet at the ogive like a colett bullet puller and won't let it go. I'm talking about loads that are two full grains from max! I have to unscrew the die and stick a screwdriver in the die to loosen it.

Anybody ever had this problem? What's the solution? (Please don't say don't load compressed loads; in this caliber, you don't have much choice.)

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It happens, I usually take it out and grind the ogive on my drill press until it quits grabbing, I have even done it by hand with a rounded dowell and wet/dry cloth, then polish with 400 grt.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just talked to RCBS customer service, and they are sending me a new seating plug, with extra polishing, which should correct the problem.

I was rather impressed!

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have had this problem often and not always with RCBS. I simply polish the seater plug with steel wool and Flitz and carry on.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
Just talked to RCBS customer service, and they are sending me a new seating plug, with extra polishing, which should correct the problem.

I was rather impressed!

That was going to be my suggestion. It seems they always fix items I've managed to "bubba up" when it wasn't required of them.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem with an old set of Texan dies. Finally figured out that the expander plug in the sizing die had worn down enough to make the brass slightly undersized and hence more difficult to seat the bullet. A new RCBS neck sizer fixed it.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I fixed it myself. I simply removed the seater from the die, put it in a cordless drill (being very careful not to bugger up the threads), cut a bit of 400 grit sandpaper which I shaped into a cone, inserted the small end of the cone in the seater, inserted a loaded bullet, tip first, into the cone for pressure, and proceeded, as slow speed, to sand the interior of the seater plug. In a few seconds, it was smooth as glass.

I just loaded five more compressed loads -- no problem!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If we were to get perfectly polished parts with every die set / press / scale etc. we buy, we would be paying big $$$. Sometimes a little TLC goes a long way toward perfecting a great tool.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote