Find
Notify
Tools

22 Savage HiPower Loads ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I recently acquired an original 1905 M/S in 22 Highpower. It has an 8x Hensoldt scope and preliminary shooting with some S&B ammo looks promising. I ordered up some Hornady dies and their 70 grain bullets. I have a Hornady manual. I was wondering if anyone loads for it and has some pet loads?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle.
There are a few good powders but finding a load might be a little tough. I use a 70gr speer ww brass and BLc2 powder I would list the load but its a max load. Start at about 20grs and work up.
Other pwders I have used with out to much success.
Imr 4064 3031 4895 and H 4895, out of these the imr 3031 was pretty good.
I had a few case seperations by oversizing the brass. size only enough to chamber the case.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Check the bore dia. Some of the early european .22 HP's had generous bore dia. I have seen one at .228"

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hornady bullets are the larger diameter as far as I am aware.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The S&B loads shoot so well in my Savage 99, that I haven't bothered to reload. The S&B loads are inexpensive enough to make the added effort not worthwhile.

What is the twist rate on your rifle? The 5.x52R uses a faster twist and will stabilize the Hornady bullet. While most Savages had a slower twist and may have trouble stabilizing the Hornady. I got lucky, at least with the S&B, and they stabilize just fine.

Nice find, good luck with the rifle.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I never heard of a Hi-power that did not have a .227-.228 bore, but I could be wrong. Speaking of that, I have read of some people having luck using .224 bullets in it, anyone here try it? I have yet to check the twist rate, but I will, I will slug the bore then also and see just how tight/loose it is. I will agree with you, z1r, that the S&B shoots very well and I bought 120 rounds of it. I bought 200 of the .227- 70 grain Hornady's, apparently they are about the only source outside of a custon bullet. Thanks to all who replied and anyone else with experience with this round are welcome to contribute.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma makes both a softpoint and a fmj. Also sold as components.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Brno combination gun with a 22 Sav HP barrel. I form cases from 30-30 brass. The 70 gr Hornady bullets shoot very well. 3031 powder works well in my rifle. About 22 grs is a low pressure load that shoots great.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Thanks snowman, it looks like I will try out IMR 4895 first as I have some. All this nonsense has made powder hard to find and I have not been able to locate any 3031. But when I do, I will try your load!

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.