Find
Notify
Tools

How good is the 6.5 Benchrest Magnum?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted
Ive been looking at the www.EABCO.com web-site and their single shot rifles and pistols. I was just wondering if anybody has any experiance/opinions with their BenchRest Magnum calibers, particularly the 6.5BRM?

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Eben developed the round to be below the maximum bolt thrust level of the 97D rifle. The BRM case is just a blown out, necked down 30/30 case. I have one of the rifles in PPC, and you should have no problem bringing that rifle in below .5 MOA with good ammo.

Eben camps with the "slow-heavy" guys, and I like the "light and fast" setups. My wife appropriated my 97D in 6PPC for her antelope rifle, might have to go buy another. Always wanted a Krag or maybe a 405. Never heard of one that wouldn't shoot. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was my choice for my Son's first rifle - 97D with a 12" lop. It is one of the most accurate rifles I've loaded for - very tight chambered. I asked him to cut the chamber leade(and consider the rifiling twist) for 100 gr partitions and 120gr Bt's which it will put into .5 to .7" groups with little load work. 107gr match bullets have grouped into the 3's. I do not know how it will work with 140 - 160 gr bullets 'cause low recoil was my desire for an 8 yr old(though i bet it would be even better). Kills deer quickly with either bullet and complete pass throughs on piggies with the partition. Not sure why the "magnum" in the name?

Posts: 73 | Location: Huron, Tn | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote