New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 and a flyer syndrome
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am working up loads for a new 30-06 that was customized and the majority of loads developed to date have resulted in the 2 and a flyer syndrome. I have had this experience before and was able to overcome with load development, bullet type, weight, powder, powder weight, bullet seating depth, primers, brass, trim length etc. How have some of you folks handled this problem? Any common root cause for the syndrome? Thank you all in advance for your consideration.

Tim

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
two things that could be contributors to this.

Fatigue - the recoil may be forcing changes in the way you mount the gun.

Heat - by the third shot you might be getting enough heat in the barrel that either the stock is pushing the barrel - check for free float with a warm barrel or there might be a flaw in the barrel so the heat causes it to warp just a bit as it warms.

My sporterized 03A3 took a bit more clearance on the stock and a better recoil pad before I started shooting ten shot groups in under an inch.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check that the stock does not have any contract with the barrel. Insert a business card from the fore end of the barrel between the stock and the barrel. Take it to the chamber side. If there is a stiff part, you need to work the stock off a little bit there. The reason is that the barrel streches as it becomes warm and if it makes contact with the stock, it could give you flyers. I had a similar problem with my Brno and when fixed the groupings became consistent and no more flyers.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Had that happen with two 338 RUMs; they both would shoot into one hole, then the third shot would be 3/4 inch away. I sent the barrels back to the manufacturer and they lapped and stress relieved them. They both now shoot with most bullets touching at 100.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is consistant and the third shot is always to the same side, it's probably bedding. If that's the case, I'd take it back to the person that customized it. (or correct it yourself as posted) If the flyer is randomly positioned, it might be bench technique. have another shooter have a go without telling him what the problem is.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Bullet quality or the twist rate in the barrel is not perfect for the bullets length.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been advised that barrel/stock clearance should be .040".

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Tim, Keep on going with those 3 shot groups. May help trouble-shooting to know what's happening with the 4th, 5th, ect. shots.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your feedback. It is interesting now that it was mentioned, the third shot is consistently off to one side. Specifically to the right. The stock is a composite stock, and the barrel is free floated.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As posted, try some 10 shot groups. You didn't say how far out the third shot was but maybe with 5 and 10 shot groups you will be able to see if it is indeed a flyer or perhaps the rifle isn't capable of shooting 1 hole groups.
Also, check you barrel clearance with a cold barrel and then after you've shot a bit.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will do some 10 shot groups and see what happens. Thank you

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a follow up. I have shot a 10 string group, elevation is on, but bullets clump left, center and right. In conversation with the gunsmith who built the rifle he thinks this may be a flawed barrel and will replace it. (He is one of the good ones). He asked me to check the screws on the receiver and scope mounts, and to shoot another 10 shot group but let the barrel cool 5 minutes or more between shots. Again, thanks for all your comments.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, none of us mentioned that among the first things you check is your scope mounts.
I'd take the scope completely off down to the rifle and start over with a proper sized tool and some lock tite.

Aim for the exit hole

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Are you letting it cool properly between shots? My mountain rifles are pretty finicky about getting warm. If I'm looking for accuracy, I always let them cool. My 3 shot group takes 20-30 minutes with some guns (depending on the weather/temperature). Which is why I always bring 3-4 guns to the range at one time.

Good luck. I know it can be frustrating.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote