Find
Notify
Tools

7828 vs. 7828SSC
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
I found some 7828 in the old IMR metal can for a decently good deal the other day, like $14/lb. It's my first time to use it and yeah, it is sucky to meter. I had to throw a grain short and trickle on the scale to get decently consistent results. That's a real PITA! Two questions arise from my first usage. In your experience:

1) How much better metering is 7828SSC? 4831SC is an improvement over standard H4831, but it bridged in my measure so badly I'm not sure if it's that much better overall.

2) It is truely interchangable (within lot2lot variation) with standard 7828 data as 4831SC is? I know this should be a slam dunk, but all 4831's should interchange too, and they don't!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
IMR 7828 is my favorite powder for several carts. I bought some ssc to try in my .260ai & it works fine grain for grain vs 7828. I don't throw my rifle charges so I don't know about metering but it does fit nicely in compressed loads, less crunching for the same powder charge. I'm going to give it a try in my fav. .280 recipe & see how that works out. Should be good in my son's 06 w/ 180gr bullets toobeer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the short cut 7828 may be just the ticket for fast 180-200 grain .30-06 loads at a reasonable pressure. You may now be able to load enough of it in the case to make 2900 fps or so, be interesting to find out. I bought some and am thinking of testing it with 160-175's in the 7x57, it just might work, but it's hard to tell.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote