New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Lott Loading problems with Barnes XXX
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New Redding dies and new Hornady brass. I was checking the feeding of my MRC Lott when I discovered that I can not seat the 450 Barnes X bullets without putting a slight bend in the case. Bullets are not being crimped at all.
Cases are under the maximun allowable length (2.790). When I go to seat the bullets they start ok and then strong resistence is felt while working the arm of the press to get the bullet seated to the proper depth.
I tried using the Swift A frames (450 grains) and they seat fine.
Any ideas?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Be sure the die is not trying to crimp the case...meaning back the die out a turn or two and try again. It could also be that the seating part of the die (not sure what it is called..the part that contacts the bullet)is not working well with the X-bullet shape. Some of my big bore dies have two tips...one for RN bullets and one for Tiped bullets.

Good luck

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,
Die was backed off and I know for certain it is not even starting to crimp.
I did notice a ring around the Barnes bullet where they are making contact with the seating plug. Not sure what is going on here but it only happens with the X bullets. The Reddings do not come with another seating plug. It is almost like the X bullets are to large in diameter to fit inside the case but they measure out at .458.
Since these bullets are so long for there weight I am wondering if I should set the expander down even further? But I am leery of doing this fearing the bullets will slip during recoil.
Open to any and all suggestions.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snowwolfe

the same thing happened to me using 500 XXX with my 460 weatherby cases using RCBS dies. 500Gr Swifts A-frames loaded fine. It was so frustrating that I gave up trying to load the XXX's .The one thing I noticed though was that if i backed off on the powder charge they would start to load ok.As I remember 115-116 grains of IMR 4350 would load ok..anything more I ran into problems with the cases bulging and not feeding... I hope someone can come up with a good explanation as I'm curious again..steve

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Are you loading a compressed powder charge? Most 458 Winnie loads are. With the longer Barnes bullet you could be compressing the powder to much. You can only compress powder to a certain point. Try reducing the powder charge and see if this solves your problem.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
New Redding dies and new Hornady brass. I was checking the feeding of my MRC Lott when I discovered that I can not seat the 450 Barnes X bullets without putting a slight bend in the case. Bullets are not being crimped at all.
Cases are under the maximun allowable length (2.790). When I go to seat the bullets they start ok and then strong resistence is felt while working the arm of the press to get the bullet seated to the proper depth.
I tried using the Swift A frames (450 grains) and they seat fine.
Any ideas?

Try belling the case mouth a little more? Big Grin

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullets were being seating in the case without a powder charge or primer as I was just using the rounds to check for feeding issues. Cases were full length resized as well.
The pressure of seating the X bullet is actually causing the case to bend. Think of a case shaped liked a banana. It is not noticeable unless you roll the loaded round across a flat surface. One side of the case is making contact with the mouth of the chamber causing it to be scratched. Then on the opposite side at the bottom of the case is the same thing.
I did some more playing around with this last night and I think it is somewhat resolved now. I had to adjust the expander to go deeper into the case. The case still seems to have to good of a grip on the X bullet and the much larger bearing surface of the X bullet is the culprit.
I do not think this issue would surface on a normal case with a shoulder as the shoulder would offer support for the case.
Thanks for the comments. We learn something new everyday!
I contacted Redding as the final solution would be to have a longer expander plug. I hope they can come up with it. The part of the X bullet that must be seated below the case mouth is .8 long. Compared to .5 for the Swift.

PS: Redding does not have a longer expander plug. I guess this rifle will only shoot non X bullets.