Notify
Tools

7mm WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted
Anyone out there loaded Hornady's 100 grain hollow points in 7mm WSM ? fishing

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, but got some that shoot VERY well in my 284 Win and 7x57's, as do the Sierra 100 grain HP's.
Mucho good medicine for varmints. By very well, I'm talking 3 shots into less than 3/4" at 100 yards. Some rifles shoot that bullet better.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Well maybe I'll be the first!, now where's that powder? bewildered

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Brit, Thanks for the heads up, if you can let me have some contact details , I will be interested in anything he might have experienced, Went to the "range" as planned yesterday afternoon, for some pre foxing load developement, started by setting out a couple of temporary target frames at 200yds, these targets are my buddy's productions, consisting of five separate aiming points on each sheet, the whole of this sheet is overlayed with 20mm square grid lines, I decided to err on the side of safety, as all these test cartridges were unknown quantities, in regards to actual compatibility with the rifle, so on with the safety glasses! Shocked first to go down range was 59grains of reloader 15, lit with CCI Magnum primer, under the 100 grain hollow point Hornady's cat# 2800 from Valley Arms,(the ones I found covered in dust, Laughing ) initial aiming point was just under the target frame proper, into the sand strata, Shocked Shocked the hollow point went over the chrony at 3200 fps & destroyed the target, the impact with the damp sand had sent up a blast of debris that ripped the paper off the boarding & tipped the board over, no sign of pressure seen on checking the case, four more of the same on the standby frame, this put an acceptable cluster almost touching, a tad high & right of point of aim, as these were looking so reasonable with starting charge over the chrony, I elected to leave the intermediate charges in the box & fire one round of just under max load for pressure signs, 63 grains went bang nicely, through the trap at 3438 fps, poi a little higher around 3", max load being around 65.5 grains, I thought that the velocities produced, were comfortably within the lower barrel burning capabilities of these loads, further tweaking for a later date, as the light was beginning to fade Very Happy .